You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Skuggsja

Losing Interest (Ramblings)

24 comments in this topic

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,763 posts
18,972 battles

These are my personal opinions, thoughts, and speculation. I do know that I can go play something else and come back, etc, as well. I just felt I should voice this for WG and anyone that feels the same. Again, these are my own feelings so there isn't much to argue about.

I'm really losing interest in the game overall. It's not that I don't love it, and haven't loved it even more so in the past, but its all just becoming redundant at this point. Aside from getting some coal and oil every day, I'm finding less and less reason to play. Heck, even the coal ships are so slow to release that if you were as into playing this game as I have been, they aren't hard to obtain. Free experience ships become the same as well, once you start stacking all the free exp bonus camos and flags, or learn to farm free experience in operations.

Again, it's not like the game isn't fun, but perhaps at the 15,000 games mark with all the lines unlocked, there just isn't a lot to do anymore. Sure, there are legendary modules but if you don't like those ships, why play them more? This is especially true considering some of those modules seem . . . lackluster to say the least.

Events like Fly Strike Win are appealing when I was earning Florins to unlock a new ship, but once that part was over a couple of camos and flags just really aren't worth it or are so easy it just doesn't matter.

Tech tree lines are really slow to release, as well as premiums I'm interested in. The rate at which the lines drop doesn't compare to how quickly you can pile on camos, flags, and premium time and grind them out. Sure, you can try to master a new line but that brings in yet another issue, how many games can you play the same 3 modes on the same 10 maps and have fun? For me, a lot . . . until now.

I'm not going to lie, I've really enjoyed the CV rework as it was something totally new compared to other play styles. It was fresh and exciting but has become just as redundant. I also can't get on the forums or Reddit and discuss it without it turning into a "debate," to phrase it nicely,  about CVs in game. I'm really sick of explaining to others that it can be really difficult to do well in a CV because of "this, that, and this." That's not really engaging either.

Even the new tech tree lines that are coming out aren't appealing. Russian battleships are just better at bow tanking than ships that were already good at bow tanking and aren't going to encourage aggressive play. The French destroyers are just faster gunboats than the fast guns boats we already have. Meanwhile, there are like 20 new premiums in the works but we haven't even seen Yahagi or Leone leave testing yet. There just aren't many exciting new ships coming or here, and how long is it going to take to see them?

About the only things I'm interested in are the competitive modes, ranked and clan battles, but here we are with another round of tier 10 ships for both.... because playing hundreds and hundreds of games in the same boats, on the same maps is so fun (sarcasm).

I'm just rambling really but I think there are some decent points in there. I also think this might be part of the reason we are seeing players leave. No, it's not just CVs, though I'll admit I'm sure some have left for that reason, but a lack a of anything worth doing after you reach certain thresholds. I guess that's part of my point, players aren't going to be retained by the way things are working now, because eventually, everyone will grow bored unless they have an undying obsession with some aspect of the game. 

I guess what it comes down to is WG needs to start making the game fun again, not just week long easy grinds for minimal reward or the next power creeping tech line to come out 4 or more months from now. I hope to see it changed soon-ish or I'll probably be gone too. I don't mean that in a threatening way or anything, I'm not one of those guys, but I am saying that there are probably plenty of people like me that need more out of all of this, even if they haven't realized it yet.

Edited by Skuggsja
  • Cool 10

[-K-]
Members
6,709 posts
11,195 battles

I feel you on most, if not all of those points, @Skuggsja.  I'd give you an upvote if I had any left today.

I'm also kind of burned out after 3 years of consistent play.  Summer may give me a good excuse to step away for a while.

The last real enjoyment I had with WoWS was the Snowflake steel event in December.  Outside of that, it really just feels like going through the motions at this point.  I've considered trying CVs just for something different, but haven't dabbled deep enough to find any joy in them (can T4 carriers be considered fun in any way?) yet.

I'd love to revisit old tech tree lines for a redo since I'm a better player than I was with many of them back in the day, but won't start a second account to do so.  Since tech tree line resets aren't a thing, it killed the motivation for that idea pretty quick.

Maybe it's just time to take a break.

• Cool 1

Members
1,016 posts
19,150 battles

I guess there are two main types of players:

1. Those that enjoy the play (the variety being provided by the human factors).
  2. Those that enjoy the advancements/new introductions/etc.

I'm mostly in the former group (I played over 7000 matches in Tier 1 (two maps, one mode)).

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,763 posts
18,972 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I feel you on most, if not all of those points, @Skuggsja.  I'd give you an upvote if I had any left today.

I'm also kind of burned out after 3 years of consistent play.  Summer may give me a good excuse to step away for a while.

The last real enjoyment I had with WoWS was the Snowflake steel event in December.  Outside of that, it really just feels like going through the motions at this point.  I've considered trying CVs just for something different, but haven't dabbled deep enough to find any joy in them (can T4 carriers be considered fun in any way?) yet.

I'd love to revisit old tech tree lines for a redo since I'm a better player than I was with many of them back in the day, but won't start a second account to do so.  Since tech tree line resets aren't a thing, it killed the motivation for that idea pretty quick.

Maybe it's just time to take a break.

It really hit me today when I realized the patch had been delayed. I would have been really bummed and annoyed in the past, but today I just shrugged and moved on to the forums to see if there was a reason why. There were times where I was so eager for a patch I woke up early just to start the download, now I just dont really cares as much.

• Cool 3

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Members
1,763 posts
18,972 battles
1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

I'm mostly in the former group (I played over 7000 matches in Tier 1 (two maps, one mode)).

Wow, thats pretty insane to have played that much tier 1 . . . I guess its people like you that will keep things going if people like me step away. Glad you find so much enjoyment in it though! 

Members
4,081 posts
9,042 battles

A well-stated pov thanks. The thing that jumps out at me is the number of battles you've played--15.5k (!). There has to be a creeping fatigue in that. I'm half that and I feel I've put a lot of time into this and I don't play Coop. I go through phases where my interest and time will go down, drop out for a few months and come back fresh. I'm sure you understand that dynamic. It comes down to the love of ships really. I also view the whole game as a sort of beta model continually evolving, and we are the testers. Who knows where it can  go in the next 5 years or so,

[KSF]
Members
47 posts
6,217 battles

I fully agree and also don't understand why WG is releasing ships like crazy but we are still playing on the same maps like forever... just boring

[YGGD]
Beta Testers
2,661 posts
22,120 battles

WG needs to spice things up a bit like installing new maps for players because the same old maps day in and day out just becomes BORING . I already have 279 ships in port so WG given players new ships does not interest me anymore like it use to. 

Beta Testers
1,229 posts
10,312 battles

I feel you.  I burned out on World of Tanks after 21k games for lack of new content (mostly maps) and in game toxicity of players.  Stayed away for a couple of years; lately I've been playing more tanks and less warships.  It's all a cycle

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,690 battles

My only suggestion is to take a vacation from the game for a bit.  New lines are coming.  New stuff is coming.  If the game is still fun, then it should still be fun when there's new stuff to explore and unlock.  There's no shame in feeling a bit burned out, it is a grind after all and once you have done the grind on everything there is to grind...

[EGIRL]
Beta Testers
4,340 posts
13,110 battles

Agreed with you in most part.
I totaly hate the cv rework.
Agreed with new lines aren't appealing (china dds? russian bias bbs? how cares...)

Also impressive 15k battles.

[PHASE]
Members
4,757 posts
16,180 battles
1 hour ago, Skuggsja said:

These are my personal opinions, thoughts, and speculation. I do know that I can go play something else and come back, etc, as well. I just felt I should voice this for WG and anyone that feels the same. Again, these are my own feelings so there isn't much to argue about.

It is difficult sometimes when you have as many games as you/I do. All ships researched, no new lines...

I think I still play a lot simple due to how much money I have spent. Hard to leave a game knowing I have $$$$ in it....

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
3,162 posts
17,062 battles

I used to play a 100 battles a week now I am down to less than 20

With 90% of my fleet sitting collecting rust because of the rework alot of my excitement and thrill of the game has disappeared

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
2,440 posts

I'm new to WoWs with just one year and few months....  I ground the IJN line, less cv's and enjoyed it till the radar meta.   It took months to get back into the game and adapt and now, the CV's went off the deep end....  Gosh, what in the world is out host thinking???  (money first, player sometimes?)

15K - that's a lot of time -  I'm getting close to half that number !

What your musing are about and infer: spot on.

Advice from experience: roger, take a break............walk away and try again later.

No new content map wise, is dragging this game into tedium: larger maps would help "clear the air" of all of the recent foul meta's stench.......

[YARRR]
Members
650 posts
5,081 battles

I've played a grand total of 2 random battles in the last 3 weeks. 

I keep the game updated as necessary, and I log in and stare at my Alaska in port, with my finger hovering over the "play" button.  Then I shut down the game and do something else.  I don't hate the game, but I'm not excited about playing it anymore...

[-K-]
Members
6,709 posts
11,195 battles
20 hours ago, theLaalaa said:

20 hours ago, Skuggsja said:

It really hit me today when I realized the patch had been delayed. I would have been really bummed and annoyed in the past, but today I just shrugged and moved on to the forums to see if there was a reason why. There were times where I was so eager for a patch I woke up early just to start the download, now I just dont really cares as much.

20 hours ago, HansiSolo said:

I fully agree and also don't understand why WG is releasing ships like crazy but we are still playing on the same maps like forever... just boring

For them, premium ships generate revenue. But I'm with you on needing new (and unique) maps.  Even the new ones that are released are essentially just island mashups of the same thing.  Would love to see them think outside the box a bit and create more maps like Two Brothers and (the old) Islands of Ice.

20 hours ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

WG needs to spice things up a bit like installing new maps for players because the same old maps day in and day out just becomes BORING . I already have 279 ships in port so WG given players new ships does not interest me anymore like it use to. 

Exactly.  If the new shiny toys are being constantly used on the same old tired maps, it really doesn't change anything.

18 hours ago, ElAurens said:

I've played a grand total of 2 random battles in the last 3 weeks. 

I keep the game updated as necessary, and I log in and stare at my Alaska in port, with my finger hovering over the "play" button.  Then I shut down the game and do something else.  I don't hate the game, but I'm not excited about playing it anymore...

I'm with you here.  If there is no joy, we should probably take a break for a bit.  Like you, I likely won't quit the game, but may take an extended break to hopefully make it fresh again.  I even considered starting a new account to spice things up, but I simply have too much invested in this one to walk away from it.  Sure wish tech tree line resets was a thing.

[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
346 posts
1,905 battles

I have never played a lot of WOWS battles since my time is limited, but I used to play maybe 10-20 battles a week.  Mostly to take a break from WOT.  I also play Subnautica each year when the next version comes out.  However I don't play now that the CV changes have made DD play so awful.  I'm waiting for the CV fix and happily playing WOT and Subnautica.

• Cool 1

Members
355 posts
4,658 battles
1 minute ago, BurglarOfBanff_ff said:

I have never played a lot of WOWS battles since my time is limited, but I used to play maybe 10-20 battles a week.  Mostly to take a break from WOT.  I also play Subnautica each year when the next version comes out.  However I don't play now that the CV changes have made DD play so awful.  I'm waiting for the CV fix and happily playing WOT and Subnautica.

Exactly. MANY people have gone this route. WoW is lucky there are no blockbuster games out right now otherwise that giant sucking sound would be worse then it is. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
10,642 posts
29,982 battles

@Skuggsja, I feel you quite a bit. I nearly left the game when the ReBork dropped and destroyed the game I loved. Stayed away from Randoms for a while.

The last three times I have been in game I have run only T5 and lo and behold! It's fun again. Uptiered less because the presence of T4 CVs pulls more T5 ships into T4 matches. Yes, Taichunger actually has a good thing to say about the ReBork, finally. 

So I have played a good number of matches as a top tier T5. I used to feel guilty about such obvious seal clubbing but since WG has fouled up the game with the 2- and 3-CV crapfests, I no longer do. The devs have signaled that they don't care about the player experience, so why should I? Had a blast recently running Okt R, Okhotnik, and even a game in the Krispy Krime. Might actually take my Texas out of mothballs...

At 12K Random games I have all the goodies I need and as for 19 point captains, I have so many I have to comb them out of my hair. I used to look forward to new ships but I have stopped spending money on the game since the ReBork and do not ever plan to spend a cent until CVs return to their tolerable pre-ReBork levels.

Game desperately needs another 20 maps and another 10-15 operations, especially for T5 and T8-9. That would keep players coming and provide fun alternatives to the Sky Griefer matches.

See ya round the game, sir.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[CUTIE]
Members
189 posts
8,173 battles
5 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Game desperately needs another 20 maps and another 10-15 operations

20 larger maps, with a few nighttime action, and another 10-15 operations for all tiers. 

• Cool 1

[NSWO]
[NSWO]
Members
100 posts
11,866 battles

I've taken a few "breaks" in my 2 yrs + playing WoWS.

I think a lot of folks take some time away from all games, not just this one.

My breaks have only been a month or less, but when I've gotten back there was always something new to interest me for a while.

While some changes in the game have been good, some have not been as enjoyable.

I guess it just depends on what "I" want to see in the game. But "I" am just one voice.

[187]
Members
1,609 posts
8,851 battles
22 hours ago, Skuggsja said:

I'm really losing interest in the game overall. It's not that I don't love it, and haven't loved it even more so in the past, but its all just becoming redundant at this point. Aside from getting some coal and oil every day, I'm finding less and less reason to play. Heck, even the coal ships are so slow to release that if you were as into playing this game as I have been, they aren't hard to obtain. Free experience ships become the same as well, once you start stacking all the free exp bonus camos and flags, or learn to farm free experience in operations.

Again, it's not like the game isn't fun, but perhaps at the 15,000 games mark with all the lines unlocked, there just isn't a lot to do anymore. Sure, there are legendary modules but if you don't like those ships, why play them more? This is especially true considering some of those modules seem . . . lackluster to say the least.

Events like Fly Strike Win are appealing when I was earning Florins to unlock a new ship, but once that part was over a couple of camos and flags just really aren't worth it or are so easy it just doesn't matter.

Tech tree lines are really slow to release, as well as premiums I'm interested in. The rate at which the lines drop doesn't compare to how quickly you can pile on camos, flags, and premium time and grind them out. Sure, you can try to master a new line but that brings in yet another issue, how many games can you play the same 3 modes on the same 10 maps and have fun? For me, a lot . . . until now.

I'm not going to lie, I've really enjoyed the CV rework as it was something totally new compared to other play styles. It was fresh and exciting but has become just as redundant. I also can't get on the forums or Reddit and discuss it without it turning into a "debate," to phrase it nicely,  about CVs in game. I'm really sick of explaining to others that it can be really difficult to do well in a CV because of "this, that, and this." That's not really engaging either.

Even the new tech tree lines that are coming out aren't appealing. Russian battleships are just better at bow tanking than ships that were already good at bow tanking and aren't going to encourage aggressive play. The French destroyers are just faster gunboats than the fast guns boats we already have. Meanwhile, there are like 20 new premiums in the works but we haven't even seen Yahagi or Leone leave testing yet. There just aren't many exciting new ships coming or here, and how long is it going to take to see them?

About the only things I'm interested in are the competitive modes, ranked and clan battles, but here we are with another round of tier 10 ships for both.... because playing hundreds and hundreds of games in the same boats, on the same maps is so fun (sarcasm).

I'm just rambling really but I think there are some decent points in there. I also think this might be part of the reason we are seeing players leave. No, it's not just CVs, though I'll admit I'm sure some have left for that reason, but a lack a of anything worth doing after you reach certain thresholds. I guess that's part of my point, players aren't going to be retained by the way things are working now, because eventually, everyone will grow bored unless they have an undying obsession with some aspect of the game. 

I guess what it comes down to is WG needs to start making the game fun again, not just week long easy grinds for minimal reward or the next power creeping tech line to come out 4 or more months from now. I hope to see it changed soon-ish or I'll probably be gone too. I don't mean that in a threatening way or anything, I'm not one of those guys, but I am saying that there are probably plenty of people like me that need more out of all of this, even if they haven't realized it yet.

The lack of missions to do as well as any individual campaigns for a personal goal is really odd, I think they are missing the boat so to speak in not giving the individual more to do on his or her own. A well thought out campaign mode for each class of ships could really help with the boredom factor.

[000]
Members
43 posts
4,986 battles
22 hours ago, Skuggsja said:

I suggest a trip to Utah and spend some time in star gazing and engaging in philosophical pursuits instead of wasting all your time on earth away in some fantasy world. Or maybe volunteer a few hours a week at the local red cross benefiting your fellow man.

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles

It's the lack of content --- same maps, no new campaigns, missions, operations, etc...  Can't see a good excuse either --- most of the map is, well, water. 

Operations should have a new mode where you're the traditional role, or you're the enemy.   No reason to not be able to rescue sunk captains and give them an alt role on the ship.  It could be a captain skill or similar, rear turret/s, AA gunner, any number of things.

Maps with capture-able structures, a spy / recon unit consumable that allows a spotter to go to a peak / land area if dropped off in a certain area.  Ship/s would have to be in a certain area and be able to triangulate the "radio" position and then shell the area, discovered by a "radio chatter" indicator or similar.  There's countless number of little things that can be added to diversify play that just never seems to be considered.   

Possibly add new "auxiliary" ships, similar to a DD with small guns, no torps, but can repair up to 25% of a ship (once, 5 or so ship limit), or repair damaged items on ships.  Similar to a medic role in other games.

Edited by NoSoMo