You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
PoP_56_61

CV's and nonexistent fighters!

14 comments in this topic

Members
76 posts
11,692 battles

I keep hearing players ranting for aa cover I was a short time ago until I realized ie read lol that there are no fighters in the CV arsenal anymore other than those for its own protection. You have to rely on you own aa you can change its area of protection somewhat  by pressing a key i forget which now and picking the sector by clicking on it. OK so maybe this seems silly to you, but I still just in last few games have players ranting at the CV for aa and getting really ugly about it, so word is here.

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles

CV fighters can be deployed over friendly ships if you fly over , except for T4 Cvs Who don't have fighters. I think. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,339 posts
11,846 battles

CV's have a fighter consumable, three per plane type, but they need to be almost on top of you for it to be useful and it only lasts for one minute maximum.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,564 posts
4,239 battles

Tier 4 carriers only have self-defence fighters. They deploy automatically and fly around the carrier when it's spotted. Grinding with the Hermes, I often see two carriers per team. It sucks to watch helplessly as friendly battleships and destroyers get focused by the enemy's CVs.

[H-WS]
Members
350 posts
5,637 battles
3 hours ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

CV fighters can be deployed over friendly ships if you fly over , except for T4 Cvs Who don't have fighters. I think. 

I’ve found these fighters to be of little to no use.  Even when they do happen to go after the enemy squadron, only 2-3 planes are downed before the fighter disappear.  Often, the enemy CV will just attack a ship under my fighters anyways since the fighters won’t hurt them much.

[FORM]
Members
658 posts
6,813 battles
2 hours ago, Horama said:

I’ve found these fighters to be of little to no use.  Even when they do happen to go after the enemy squadron, only 2-3 planes are downed before the fighter disappear.  Often, the enemy CV will just attack a ship under my fighters anyways since the fighters won’t hurt them much.

I couldn't disagree more, they certainly don't create a "impossible to go there" zone, but they do punish the attackers if they do get picked up. I do think a lot depends on the type and tier of the fighter planes vs what they might be attacking. 

[-VT-]
Members
647 posts
8,307 battles
20 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I couldn't disagree more, they certainly don't create a "impossible to go there" zone, but they do punish the attackers if they do get picked up. I do think a lot depends on the type and tier of the fighter planes vs what they might be attacking. 

Tier of the fighters doesn’t matter, it’s just how fast enemy CV planes can get away from fighters.  Fighters when they engage will take out a plane for each fighter, unless the CV planes are fast enough to get away from them, like the GZ’s planes.

Members
201 posts
3,193 battles

The fighter consumable is very unreliable.  You have limited charges and you don't get the full duration.  They will chase aircraft that will outrun them and then despawn no longer protecting your teammates.

You want more counter-play to CV's and make life easier ingame for the surface ships? 

Buff the fighter consumable.  Make it last the whole duration, increase its radius and have it kill all aircraft in the area without being despawned until its time expires.

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles

The fighters are pretty unreliable (both in how they're placed and how they can be countered), but unfortunately they kind of need to be. One of the big problems with the old RTS CVs was that a marginally better CV player could shut down a good, but marginally worse CV player all but entirely, and functionally (or completely) remove them from the game. Even if your CV player was pretty good, you'd very quickly find yourself effectively (or literally) in an 11 v 12 game if the opposing carrier player was slightly better. This is the "skill gap" issue WG was trying to solve with the rework. Restoring a carrier's ability to shut down their counterpart would bring back the skill gap issue in full force, and give a large amount of match-deciding power (which people so much dislike) back to CVs.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
861 posts
8,099 battles

The fighter consumable needs some tweaking I do believe. Its concept seems fine, but the AI of it is a bit wonky, i.e. enemy planes in the bubble and they circle around still.

The duration is another issue IMHO. 60 seconds to cover friendly vessels isn't worthwhile. Considering the enemy CV can fly out of the area, wait the time or press F for a new squadron to be there and ready in 60 seconds. Id ideally like to see this increased to 2 minutes to be viable. This though may mean more abuse of spotting of DDs etc, though.

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles
4 hours ago, Horama said:

For me it very much depends on the timing of when I deploy them. If deployed in time I find them fairly effective. If deployed with bad timing they don't activate before the enemy planes have time to get out of the area. They are great area denial tools against the red CV IMO.

[FORM]
Members
658 posts
6,813 battles
2 hours ago, DemonGod3 said:

Tier of the fighters doesn’t matter, it’s just how fast enemy CV planes can get away from fighters.  Fighters when they engage will take out a plane for each fighter, unless the CV planes are fast enough to get away from them, like the GZ’s planes.

I'm pretty sure that's not correct, though it might have to do more with the tier and HP of the target planes than the tire of the fighters themselves.

57 minutes ago, _greifer said:

The duration is another issue IMHO. 60 seconds to cover friendly vessels isn't worthwhile. Id ideally like to see this increased to 2 minutes...

I do wish it were 90s though I think 2 mins is probably too long. A bit more time would definitely help though. Same goes for ship launched fighters IMO.

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,495 posts

It doesnt help that alot of people don't know how the fighters even work all the way.

Example, if a CV is striking you, and you Launch your fighter when his planes are within 5-6km.. The fighter does not have time to activate and engage before i can have my planes gone.     People need to send up their fighters sooner, and CV's will avoid more often than not as its guaranteed plane losses.

When you launch your fighter to late, it does not last long enough for me to care, i can launch another squad and fly to you and strike again.. as your fighter is usually starting to land by the time i get back.

Its a tough balance, make them last to long.. CV's will lose to many planes.    Make them activate to fast.. CV is instantly caught by them and loses planes...  Make them Last to short... they aren't a threat to a CV.

At most ship based fighters are fine, they just need to pre deploy them better.

CV based fighters would be nice if they lasted another 30sec or so.  Enough to drop on a DD capping and be around long enough to defend them.

[H_]
Members
2,435 posts

In my Mogami and other IJN ships, my ship board fighter use to deploy for 6 minutes !  Now, 60 seconds....  And, we wonder why there are complaints and frustration.  In a time compressed gameplay, six minutes was closer to the fuel expectancy of those aircraft !  One minute is stupid !  Since the cool down from use allows CV's unlimited access for 2 minutes and 30 seconds or so to attack you !!!  Good grief!