You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ThatsAPaladin

Thoughts on applying the radar spotting delay to CVs?

23 comments in this topic

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
461 posts
4,906 battles

One of the often-overlooked changes in the recent-ish patches was the addition of a 6s a relay delay to radar, where anything spotted on radar takes 6s to be lit up to allies to shoot it.

Meanwhile, one of the big common complaints with CVs is their ability to spot things easily and effectively, particularly DDs, which rely on stealth instead of health (CV complaint threads are easily more common than the next several most common threads, combined). The extension of this spotting delay to anything planes spot seems to be a logical step. As far as gameplay is concerned, this would give ships more time to react to being spotted, perhaps hiding a citadel a bit better, getting a chance to smoke up, or finding cover before fire starts pouring in. It would also mean the window for firing on targets during the opening spotting run will be less usable, since the CV would actually have to stay for a bit to get spotting damage.

Any thoughts? 

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Beta Testers
733 posts
6,133 battles

as somone who has recent really started to enjoy CV gameplay and play them allot, i think even just that might be under-dooing it. i honestly think it owuld be perfectly fine for CV's to be playing with cyclone spotting mechanics in terms of relaying the info to other players. 

so basically have the plane only be able to relay info to you if you are within 8km. any more and DD;s get punished too much, any less and them being able to spot for others at all is eliminated.

with this we would be able to scout positions, and our damage wouldn't be hampered but DD's wont be eliminated in the first 5 min of the game provided they dont yolo rush.

• Cool 3

[CAFE]
Members
1,726 posts
12,446 battles

No thanks, while this makes it easier for DDs it also makes it impossible to spot cruisers and BBs for the team 

• Cool 2

[NGAGE]
Members
13 posts
5,798 battles

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that a sort of cv spotting delay mechanic hasn't already been implemented. 

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
461 posts
4,906 battles
1 minute ago, JustAdapt said:

No thanks, while this makes it easier for DDs it also makes it impossible to spot cruisers and BBs for the team 

While I'm loathe to suggest a mechanic apply only to one class, the disproportionate impact of CVs on DDs makes me feel better saying that a CV spotting delay could just be applied to DDs, although I do feel certain cruisers also hurt under CV spots (usually uptiered crusiers without a repair party), it's a decisively lesser effect than on DDs.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,339 posts
11,846 battles

There is an itirial launch delay coming up in a future patch for CV's and DD's are almost invisible to CV's when they have their AA off and are not using their guns. They may spot you after they tripped over your ship but they cannot keep you spotted for long as even the weakest DD AA will build up damage on the planes rather quickly because the orbit is going to mostly be in the flak zone.

[NH]
Members
761 posts

If you dont want to be spotted by air play RN DD and turn your AA off. Those things are near impossible to find. Now if you play USN or a Hargumo and QQ about spotting thats your bad.

Edited by Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire

Members
1,691 posts
8,495 battles
22 minutes ago, AFlyingPengu1n said:

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that a sort of cv spotting delay mechanic hasn't already been implemented. 

I think it's because its actually pretty difficult to keep a DD constantly spotted with aircraft if it's AA is off, especially if you make attack runs on it. The DD typically goes dark for a few seconds while the squadron turns around.

This could be rectified of course if DDs stayed spotted for a slightly longer period of time or it took the spotting delay a time to regenerate.

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts

Make fighter planes the only thing that can spot.  They have a CD and charges.  Plus you can move out of them.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,235 posts
11 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

Make fighter planes the only thing that can spot.  They have a CD and charges.  Plus you can move out of them.

God no. That's a horrible idea.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,235 posts
25 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

I think it's because its actually pretty difficult to keep a DD constantly spotted with aircraft if it's AA is off, especially if you make attack runs on it. The DD typically goes dark for a few seconds while the squadron turns around.

This could be rectified of course if DDs stayed spotted for a slightly longer period of time or it took the spotting delay a time to regenerate.

I've lost track of how many DDs I've stumbled across and hit because they left their AA on and gave their position away who then proceeded to cry about it.

It's advice I'm constantly giving to friendly DDs in CV matches: Leave your AA off unless you know without a doubt you will get hit by the carrier. DDs AA ranges are usually twice as long as their aerial detection range on their long-range AA.

Members
1,140 posts
4,530 battles

No

As a DD only Player.

Removing Spotting from CVs will wreck the other two classes substantially. 

Inherently, CVs will know where to look for DDs anyway.

I dont know how to fix this from my side, but good ideas here and lots of bad ones.

[TARK]
Members
3,319 posts
1,435 battles
8 hours ago, PG908 said:

One of the often-overlooked changes in the recent-ish patches was the addition of a 6s a relay delay to radar, where anything spotted on radar takes 6s to be lit up to allies to shoot it.

Meanwhile, one of the big common complaints with CVs is their ability to spot things easily and effectively, particularly DDs, which rely on stealth instead of health (CV complaint threads are easily more common than the next several most common threads, combined). The extension of this spotting delay to anything planes spot seems to be a logical step. As far as gameplay is concerned, this would give ships more time to react to being spotted, perhaps hiding a citadel a bit better, getting a chance to smoke up, or finding cover before fire starts pouring in. It would also mean the window for firing on targets during the opening spotting run will be less usable, since the CV would actually have to stay for a bit to get spotting damage.

Any thoughts? 

Nope.

I'd much rather have my CV able to spot that DD, thank you very much.

Sincerely,

BBs and CA players

Edited by Daniel_Allan_Clark

[KSF]
Members
47 posts
6,217 battles

How about this: CVs can spot ships for allies on the mini map (without delay) but they are not rendered for allies. 

That would reduce the current fear of getting focused by multiple enemies in case of a sudden detection by an aircraft.

Allies get at least the information what is where (e.g. a flanking DD) and can counter it by sending a ship.

Edited by HansiSolo

[TARK]
Members
3,319 posts
1,435 battles
2 minutes ago, HansiSolo said:

How about this: CVs can spot ships for allies on the mini map (without delay) but they are not rendered for allies. 

That would reduce the current fear of getting focused by multiple enemies in case of a sudden detection by an aircraft.

Allies get at least the information what is where (e.g. a flanking DD) and can counter it by sending a ship.

Nope.

Full spotting is what I want.

Even when I play my IJN torpedo boat. I want the CV to be the scout.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,235 posts
10 hours ago, JonnyFreedom said:

I found the CV player!

Found the DD player who always leaves his AA on and gives his position away.

• Funny 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
39 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Check again sparky.  I hate DDs.  I am now a CA AA Main.  I used to be a BB main, but I prefer shooting down annoying planes.

Edited by JonnyFreedom

[CUTE]
Beta Testers
461 posts
4,906 battles
11 hours ago, HansiSolo said:

So in the context of a radar delay that'd be infinite delay? The massive spontaneous focus fire on ships that have no ability to take said fire is the main reason I think a radar-esque spot delay would be useful, but never rendering for allies would be a bit much.  

12 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Nope.

I'd much rather have my CV able to spot that DD, thank you very much.

Sincerely,

BBs and CA players

This doesn't involve CVs being unable to spot DDs, just a few seconds render delay so they aren't instantly targeted by the whole flank when planes eventually find them. This is already in effect with radar (where DDs now render to allies of the radar cruiser after 6s, being a minimap icon before that), so there's some ability to react before being blapped. Because when planes move 140-150 knots, there's not any way to really move significantly when you see planes on an intersect course.

Quite frankly, there's going to be more balance changes due to how extremely one sided CV-DD interation is still (even a battleship facing pan-asian deepwaters has options: you can, for an example, back away in a zig-zag and you're much, much harder to hit with torps, but you can't kit rocket planes in a dd). 

[TARK]
Members
3,319 posts
1,435 battles
57 minutes ago, PG908 said:

This doesn't involve CVs being unable to spot DDs, just a few seconds render delay so they aren't instantly targeted by the whole flank when planes eventually find them. This is already in effect with radar (where DDs now render to allies of the radar cruiser after 6s, being a minimap icon before that), so there's some ability to react before being blapped. Because when planes move 140-150 knots, there's not any way to really move significantly when you see planes on an intersect course.

Quite frankly, there's going to be more balance changes due to how extremely one sided CV-DD interation is still (even a battleship facing pan-asian deepwaters has options: you can, for an example, back away in a zig-zag and you're much, much harder to hit with torps, but you can't kit rocket planes in a dd). 

I dont find the concealment meta fun.

I want my spotting ships to be able to relay information quickly. It makes the game better for me...in all classes of ships.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,558 posts
10,707 battles

I don't think this will work as it will make most cv spotting a non-issue, which tbh needs to be a thing, however the range they report needs to be checked. Currently it is 20km it should be 15-12km. Only ships that close to target should be able to shoot. It would do wonders for dd and ca survivability to push a much less standoffish style of play we currently have.

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles
3 hours ago, Zaydin said:

If I had a dollar for every DD that left AA on for CV to stumble upon, I'd buy WG already.

• Cool 1