Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AvengerBak

Normandie

13 comments in this topic

[AOD]
Members
74 posts
2,940 battles

I'm finding that I can barely DMG a lot of the battleships I go against in the Normandie, most damage I can consistently get even at close range and them being broadside is around 8000, I have gotten like 16k a couple of times. No citadels against any battleship, am I a cruiser fighter and not a battleship fighter? I've tried different aiming methods, shooting at water line, shooting slightly above, shooting closer to superstructure. I cannot get a citadel or consistent high damage. Yet the New Mexico can citadel me even when I am angled. It's getting an issue especially since I get uptiered a lot and I can barely DMG anything even when they give me broadside, unless of course its cruisers who I can punish.

I even tried going into training room and I could not get any consistent high dmg there as well. I also tend to get a lot of 950 Dmg hit markers even when they are sailing in a straight line, granted they are far away but I don't have this issue in say the texas.

What am I doing wrong, or is it just this ship

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
1,751 posts
18,164 battles

Normandie and Lyon live to dev strike cruisers with AP.  BBs and DDs are bait for your HE.  They are fun ships with great AA and secondaries.  Just plan your anmo choice and have fun.

[AOD]
Members
74 posts
2,940 battles
1 minute ago, Warped_1 said:

Normandie and Lyon live to dev strike cruisers with AP.  BBs and DDs are bait for your HE.  They are fun ships with great AA and secondaries.  Just plan your anmo choice and have fun.

Did not know I was supposed to use HE on BBs. Thanks. But how is the AA good, so far I think normandie has bad AA, at least compared to US bb

Edited by AvengerBak

[RKLES]
Members
9,560 posts
11,477 battles
6 minutes ago, AvengerBak said:

Did not know I was supposed to use HE on BBs. Thanks. But how is the AA good, so far I think normandie has bad AA, at least compared to US bb

Normandie has good speed, good armor, turns well, good secondary guns, good main guns that although they don’t rack up many BBs Citadels they still rack up damage particularly at close range if you have BFT and AFT captain skills. The one thing it’s weak on is the AA, which has been fair since all its other stats are so good, even it’s relatively compact hull makes it more difficult for enemy to target you,

[AOD]
Members
74 posts
2,940 battles
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Normandie has good speed, good armor, turns well, good secondary guns, good main guns that although they don’t rack up many BBs Citadels they still rack up damage particularly at close range if you have BFT and AFT captain skills. The one thing it’s weak on is the AA, which has been fair since all its other stats are so good, even it’s relatively compact hull makes it more difficult for enemy to target you,

How does BFT and AFT help, I thought those were for small guns? I'm still learning this game

[RKLES]
Members
9,560 posts
11,477 battles
10 minutes ago, AvengerBak said:

How does BFT and AFT help, I thought those were for small guns? I'm still learning this game

Yes they can help your main guns if they are small caliber, but more importantly they also help secondary gun reload plus range and I don’t think it matters what caliber the secondary guns are for those skills to help. Plus BFT and AFT also help your AA so it’s a win win having those skills on your Battleship.

[CRMSN]
Members
8,375 posts
8,996 battles
13 minutes ago, AvengerBak said:

They boost your AA and your secondaries. For Normie, boosting secondaries pays massive dividends.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,156 posts
11,135 battles

Well, an old video, but I still feel more or less the same about the ship. Don't think secondary spec is a particularly good investment for the Normandie, especially since you aren't also getting any AA benefit, but eh.

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles
10 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You forgot the terrible firing angles. It's the only real issue I have with the ship. You have to expose an uncomfortable amount of broadside to use more than just the front or rear turret. The AP pen is on the low side, but that can be mitigated by aiming at the upper belt and casemates of other battleships at range.

Edited by Nevermore135

[RKLES]
Members
9,560 posts
11,477 battles
1 hour ago, Nevermore135 said:

You forgot the terrible firing angles. It's the only real issue I have with the ship. You have to expose an uncomfortable amount of broadside to use more than just the front or rear turret. The AP pen is on the low side, but that can be mitigated by aiming at the upper belt and casemates of other battleships at range.

Well if you are traveling at full speed and have the Rudder Shift Mod 1 mounted you can fish tail back and forth so that you get to fire and then straight back out while reloading.

[WOLFC]
Members
616 posts
5,094 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Well if you are traveling at full speed and have the Rudder Shift Mod 1 mounted you can fish tail back and forth so that you get to fire and then straight back out while reloading.

You are correct, of course. Doesn't change the fact that her firing angles are notably inferior to her peers. This strategy works for many battleships in mid tiers, but with Normandie it's higher risk, given the greater angle required and the thinner belt armor vs. other tier 6 BBs making it more difficult to bounce shells.  Also, you have to give up DCS mod 2, which is very useful on BBs in general.

Honestly, if it wasn't a feature of the ship, it would probably be too strong given the strengths you mentioned.

[AOD]
Members
74 posts
2,940 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

You are correct, of course. Doesn't change the fact that her firing angles are notably inferior to her peers. This strategy works for many battleships in mid tiers, but with Normandie it's higher risk, given the greater angle required and the thinner belt armor vs. other tier 6 BBs making it more difficult to bounce shells.  Also, you have to give up DCS mod 2, which is very useful on BBs in general.

Honestly, if it wasn't a feature of the ship, it would probably be too strong given the strengths you mentioned.

Especially since I usually end up going against T8 BBs.

Sign in to follow this