You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
GX9900A

Implacable torps?

6 comments in this topic

[WAG]
Beta Testers
729 posts
6,043 battles

i have just now finished fully upgrading the Implacable T8, and i noticed something odd. The hull upgrade removes your close range AA, the thing you use the most, so i decided to leave it in A hull despite owning the B hull, the 5.6 second decrease in rudder shift might be worth it though not sure. also the spearfish gain 6knts of speed in exchange for a 36 meter increase in arming distance... why would you use the spearfish over the Barracuda when their trops are the same damage and speed, the number of planes are the same, they have only 96 more health, but they get a nerf to their arming distance, a rather significant one at that, nearly 10% and a 11 second increase in reload.

am i missing something or is that 6knt speed increase really that significant? is their turning radius better? do they reduce damage from AA?

whats going on?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,686 posts
10,769 battles

Speed is life doesn't just apply to dog fighting.

[WOLF3]
Members
18,679 posts
17,039 battles
On 4/23/2019 at 8:10 PM, RipNuN2 said:

The torps likely have a greater chance of flooding.

Was messing with the fitting tool, but according to here: https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSA108&modules=111111&upgrades=000000&commander=PCW001&consumables=11&lang=en

The torpedoes and their effects are the same between Implacable's Barracuda MkV and upgraded Spearfish TBs.

[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,743 posts
4,825 battles

The torps themselves may be identical save for the arming range, but you're not upgrading for the torps, you're upgrading for the planes. More speed + more HP = more chance to get those torps off in the first place.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
868 posts
9,882 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Was messing with the fitting tool, but according to here: https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PBSA108&modules=111111&upgrades=000000&commander=PCW001&consumables=11&lang=en

The torpedoes and their effects are the same between Implacable's Barracuda MkV and upgraded Spearfish TBs.

Yeah this is one of those things I saw and was kinda annoyed by. If you notice its a different torp all together but the same speed and damage. Historically however the XII stats are 100% correct, the XV stats, however, are not as the XV. The XV has 157lbs more explosives and travelled 40kts If we take the MK XII and do some math we discover that each LBS of explosive has a damage output of 15.291. So multiplying that by 545 and you get 8333.72. That is pretty damn huge tbh. Whats is worse is the T10 Audacious has a 600lbs warhead thus would get  up to 9174. with those number, a single flight could just devastate any BB. At 35% buldge that would be like 53k damage in one flight. not to mention non-buldge hits and or flooding. Against the yammy, this would be 37k. Now, this is also not accounting for AA and planes being destroyed so keep that in mind. Im not saying the UK torps should come up to that level of damage or even speed but I feel a small increase to 6.5k-7k for t10 would be appropriate.

If we were to do the same process from t8 to t10 using historical data and apply the damage for other nations. then JAPAN would Be a bit strange in terms of damage. The type 91 mode 3 had  529 lbs of explosives meaning it had an exlposive power of 13.672 damage per lbs. Going to the mod 7 that the HAK uses and you get 926lbs of explosive which is a damage rate of 10.078 per lbs. When in reality it would have been 12,6661 if we follow the same damage per lbs equation. 

This may actually make some people upset to think about but remember something balance is a very strange creature and using real-world stats in a game that creates its own inconsistent value systems to analyse the potential of a ship is a bit of a farce. Could you imagine if IJN had 12k damage torps? MY GOD.  Though bumping them to 10k may be called for. 

Even with all that said it is important that we accept balance must be maintained. So while the weapons listed and the real-life stats seem in conflict to what WARGAMING is feeding us, it is done in order to keep balance.