You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Landing_Skipper

Two CV Skills ? Sight Stabilization and Torpedo Acceleration

20 comments in this topic

[-GPS-]
Members
2,821 posts
30,296 battles

Does torpedo acceleration make the distance before torps arm longer?  I just put torp acceleration back on Kaga and it seems like the distance is greater.  However, I don't want to spend more doubloons to verify.

Are there any specific plane types/nations that benefit enough from Sight Stabilization to spend 4 skill points?

Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
5 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Does torpedo acceleration make the distance before torps arm longer?

Yes

5 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Are there any specific plane types/nations that benefit enough from Sight Stabilization to spend 4 skill points?

No, but what else are you going to spend the 4 points on?

It's a "bad but there's nothing better" kind of skill.

[RKLES]
Members
9,585 posts
11,483 battles
Just now, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Yes

AfT could give you better close quters Defense when you get your CV cornered.

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,120 posts
11,132 battles

Torpedo Acceleration does increase the arming distance proportional to the speed increase, so for USN torps, the extra 5 knots added 14.2% more arming distance. So if you're doing minimum range broadside drops, TA doesn't help at all, if you drop at longer ranges (like 1km or so), herd targets by dropping astern of them, ect.. it is a help, if you're doing actual long range drops, you probably don't want to lose the range.

I use Sight Stabilization on all my CV's to partially mitigate the nerfs to rockets, and to some extent, all aircraft benefit from it.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,821 posts
30,296 battles
18 hours ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Yes

18 hours ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Yes

18 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Torpedo Acceleration does increase the arming distance proportional to the speed increase, so for USN torps, the extra 5 knots added 14.2% more arming distance. So if you're doing minimum range broadside drops, TA doesn't help at all, if you drop at longer ranges (like 1km or so), herd targets by dropping astern of them, ect.. it is a help, if you're doing actual long range drops, you probably don't want to lose the range.

I use Sight Stabilization on all my CV's to partially mitigate the nerfs to rockets, and to some extent, all aircraft benefit from it.

First off thanks for your replies!

For any CV that doesn't have AP bombs, Demo Expert adds 5% to fire chance.  That's a pretty big improvement, especially for RN CVs which are so dependent on damage over time. 

Concealment Expert really depends on the CV.  Oddly, I like it at both ends of the spectrum.  At 14.1 km, Enterprise just gets shot at too often.  OTOH for Kaga it's getting the torp bomber detection down to 6 km that I find really useful.

Then there's Adreneline Rush and Last Gasp.  Having an extra boost for the last flight is good.  I'm not convinced that AR really helps but I am trying it out.

Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
1 hour ago, Landing_Skipper said:

First off thanks for your replies!

For any CV that doesn't have AP bombs, Demo Expert adds 5% to fire chance.  That's a pretty big improvement, especially for RN CVs which are so dependent on damage over time. 

Concealment Expert really depends on the CV.  Oddly, I like it at both ends of the spectrum.  At 14.1 km, Enterprise just gets shot at too often.  OTOH for Kaga it's getting the torp bomber detection down to 6 km that I find really useful.

Then there's Adreneline Rush and Last Gasp.  Having an extra boost for the last flight is good.  I'm not convinced that AR really helps but I am trying it out.

I guess I should mention my Sight Stabilization comment is mostly relating to if you have a 19 point captain. If you don't, definitely grab Last Gasp and Concealment Expert first.

[WOLF6]
Members
79 posts
5,129 battles

Thanks for asking about torpedo acceleration as I was just going to ask that. I just started using Ranger and Lexington and have sight stabilization but not torp accel. That was going to be my next pick but as a DD main it’s not something I’m familiar with. So are you dropping closer or farther? Since I’m still learning I never thought about dropping on an angle. I always dropped on a 45 degree angle. So far all the videos I’ve watched don’t show the drop cone so it’s been a little difficult learning the lead time. 

[SYJ]
Members
209 posts
9,595 battles

Torpedo Acceleration is handy for USN and RN when going after targets other then Battleships. It makes dropping Cruisers much easier and even puts some Destroyers on a potential targets list.

Sight Stabilization may be an "edge case" skill for AP Bombers, that may enable drops earlier, from greater height for potentially better penetration and higher chance of citadel hits against some Battleships.
This really needs more testing / exploration.

On 4/23/2019 at 6:53 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

AfT could give you better close quters Defense when you get your CV cornered.

Graf Zeppelin with secondary spec, sure is a meme, but if a DD decides to get within ~9.5km and try to gun you down... Lets just say, it may not end well for a DD.

Members
61 posts
13,518 battles

I never take concealment (be it the mod or skill) for high tier CVs. There’s simply no point. Most planes are already detected before entering enemy AA with out or without concealment and with careful positioning your ship will both be safe yet close enough to cycle planes efficiently. AR is a great skill. I speed build all my CVs and the extra speed boost that AR gives wounded squads can make the difference between dropping a payload or not.

• Cool 1

[O_B_G]
Members
187 posts
16,907 battles
Just now, Addison_Wang said:

I never take concealment (be it the mod or skill) for high tier CVs. There’s simply no point. Most planes are already detected before entering enemy AA with out or without concealment and with careful positioning your ship will both be safe yet close enough to cycle planes efficiently. AR is a great skill. I speed build all my CVs and the extra speed boost that AR gives wounded squads can make the difference between dropping a payload or not.

i agree except for Japanese cv's,  i like having my torps planes det. at  6.7 for t6 and 6.1 for ijn higher tiers,  the number of time's i've snuck up on distracted bb's and ca's and landed full torps for the other nations  concealment is point less unless ur shy and dont want ur ship spotted to easily.....:fish_panic:

[SOV]
Members
2,920 posts
5 hours ago, Addison_Wang said:

Your obviously very skilled player. What about sight stabilization?

[LODGE]
Members
287 posts
17,447 battles

" the number of time's i've snuck up on distracted bb's and ca's and landed full torps "

Sneaked.

Why do Anglophones speak English so poorly?

Members
61 posts
13,518 battles
9 hours ago, jags_domain said:

Your obviously very skilled player. What about sight stabilization?

The decrease in aiming time isn’t much but I find it more useful than something like AFT. For the RN CVs I’ve been testing builds that take both DE and TA instead of SS. It’s been working out pretty well (average around 161k in audacious). 

Members
61 posts
13,518 battles
2 hours ago, BarnacleCollector said:

" the number of time's i've snuck up on distracted bb's and ca's and landed full torps "

Sneaked.

Why do Anglophones speak English so poorly?

4193A248-5083-49FA-9E85-15A793332012.thumb.jpeg.d59c4ac66edc6c738b0b2dc311787700.jpeg

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
2,920 posts
1 hour ago, Addison_Wang said:

The decrease in aiming time isn’t much but I find it more useful than something like AFT. For the RN CVs I’ve been testing builds that take both DE and TA instead of SS. It’s been working out pretty well (average around 161k in audacious). 

thanks!

The RN and IJN cv I am still working them out I do ok but it seems like I have no control over outcome of the match. RN the bombs are ok but without the team telling me what dam com its guessing. IJN I just need to get better ap bombs.

I think WH be good to increase the go or dispersion of rockets for RN and IJN for DD defence because you cant bomb them.

Members
61 posts
13,518 battles
47 minutes ago, jags_domain said:

thanks!

The RN and IJN cv I am still working them out I do ok but it seems like I have no control over outcome of the match. RN the bombs are ok but without the team telling me what dam com its guessing. IJN I just need to get better ap bombs.

I think WH be good to increase the go or dispersion of rockets for RN and IJN for DD defence because you cant bomb them.

The IJN CVs (especially haku) have very strong carry potential. Unlike the midway, where you carry by destroying DDs and damage farm after that, haku focuses on getting rid of AA/radar cruisers first with APDBs. The audacious is tricker. You have to be able to farm insane amounts of damage and follow up on dam cons that you forced ships to trigger to effectively carry a game. You can’t rely on your team nowadays, the best way to get D.O.T consistently is to follow up on your own attacks. After dropping boost out of their AA, count their dam con out then attack again. If you’re having trouble with the attack planes, try leading ahead slightly more or limiting the use of “a” and “d” when in the attack sequence.

[SOV]
Members
2,920 posts
3 hours ago, Addison_Wang said:

The IJN CVs (especially haku) have very strong carry potential. Unlike the midway, where you carry by destroying DDs and damage farm after that, haku focuses on getting rid of AA/radar cruisers first with APDBs. The audacious is tricker. You have to be able to farm insane amounts of damage and follow up on dam cons that you forced ships to trigger to effectively carry a game. You can’t rely on your team nowadays, the best way to get D.O.T consistently is to follow up on your own attacks. After dropping boost out of their AA, count their dam con out then attack again. If you’re having trouble with the attack planes, try leading ahead slightly more or limiting the use of “a” and “d” when in the attack sequence.

Will do that thabk your for the ideas.

I have been on Sipan for so long that working lower health IJN planes will be interesting.

Going to take your ideas and see what happeneds tonight.

:cap_viking:

• Cool 1

[LODGE]
Members
287 posts
17,447 battles

Ooh, an anonymous quote "proving" you're right.

The only past tense of "sneak" is "sneaked". "Snuck" is what hillbillies say because they don't know any better and they formed that "word" by analogy. Even the spellcheck of this forum doesn't recognize it. It is absolutely not acceptable, but it is common because hillbillies don't know any better and they hear each other say it so they think it's correct. "Common" and "correct" are not the same.

Edited by BarnacleCollector

[-GPS-]
Members
2,821 posts
30,296 battles
On 4/27/2019 at 4:35 AM, BarnacleCollector said:

Ooh, an anonymous quote "proving" you're right.

The only past tense of "sneak" is "sneaked". "Snuck" is what hillbillies say because they don't know any better and they formed that "word" by analogy. Even the spellcheck of this forum doesn't recognize it. It is absolutely not acceptable, but it is common because hillbillies don't know any better and they hear each other say it so they think it's correct. "Common" and "correct" are not the same.

This “hillbilly” looked “snuck” up in the OED. That’s the Oxford English Dictionary which defines “snuck” as the informal, North American past and past participle form of the verb “sneak”.

If you are English, I have no regrets that my ancestors successfully rebelled against yours. Otherwise, you are a troglodyte trying to make yourself feel better by putting other people down. 

Say something constructive or nothing at all.

• Cool 3

[O_B_G]
Members
187 posts
16,907 battles
On 4/23/2019 at 5:45 PM, Landing_Skipper said:

Does torpedo acceleration make the distance before torps arm longer?  I just put torp acceleration back on Kaga and it seems like the distance is greater.  However, I don't want to spend more doubloons to verify.

just send commander to reserve cost is nothing and you can ship with no skill variables