You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Warped_1

When two T8 CVs make your T9 Cruiser their Pet Project

30 comments in this topic

[BABS]
Members
49 posts
3,093 battles
On 5/21/2019 at 3:38 PM, Palladia said:

You wiped out his entire squadron.  At tier ten,  thats upwards of TEN MINUTES before they can regenerate that squadron.  You took one attack run,  from a plane type that you won't see again for ten minutes.  

Do you...do you complain about the Yamato being able to take huge chunks out of your health pool every thirtyish seconds?

If I remember right, I only got 2 or 3 plane kills, the rest fell to the cluster of CAs and BBs on the tail end of the attack run. Your point does still stand, it was a costly move by that CV.

A Yamato at least needs line of sight to hit me, a good CV can very nearly delete whom ever they please, whenever they choose. At least that's how it feels on the receiving end.

I think the fundamental issue is that when a surface ship gets in a good hit, I can look back at what I did, and see things I could have done better, or maybe the other person just out played me and I lost far and square. A good CV player can play the attrition game, planes regen indefinitely, ship hit points don't.

I'm not going to pretend I have the answer to this, I just know that the current CV system feels wrong. When I get into an impromptu duel with another skilled surface ship I know what to do with the situation, sometimes I win, sometimes I don't. When I get into a duel with a skilled CV, I might as well get up to get a drink.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,207 battles

3 hours ago, Steamed_Toast said:

A Yamato at least needs line of sight to hit me, a good CV can very nearly delete whom ever they please, whenever they choose. At least that's how it feels on the receiving end.

Erm

The CV isn't shooting at you. Its aircraft are shooting at you. And they have line of sight.

And that Yamato you mentioned? This 1940s battleship is equipped with 1980s era AEGIS target networking. It doesn't have to see you. Any destroyer, cruiser, battleship or aircraft (spotter plane, float fighter, carrier aircraft) has the computers and communications network to give it direct fire data.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,207 battles

IMHO it is this AEGIS target networking that is the root cause of concerns with carriers.

They provide the best collection and transmission of AEGIS data. (Invisible destroyers are second best, so ... jealousy much?)

A squadron spots a destroyer: Every allied ship within range can open fire - not matter the obstacles, just so long as the shell trajectories and plotted torp course is not obstructed.

So:

Keep the spotting data on the in-game map.

Remove the ability to see and shoot at the target in the main screen if it is not in line-of-sight.

Spotter planes should be an exception to this, as they were given extra crew, map and spotting equipment to enable indirect fire (usually against land targets, but whatever).

Whining solved.

IMHO

[POP]
Members
551 posts
6,383 battles
14 hours ago, Steamed_Toast said:

Given enough time you are correct,  a good CV can kill any ship of the same tier but that does not mean they are OP as the same could be said for any ship in the game.  Hell an umikazi could kill a Yamato if given enough time.  The problem for the CV lies in exactly that, in many matches time is limited.   Loosing planes increases the time it takes to do damage thus giving the enemy team CV an advantage.   In the end the age old "their team had the better CV" saying is only  relevant if the games drags on (if both teams surface ships play to counter the CV similarly. 

Smart CV's take targets of opportunity early game, where they can get maximum damage for minimum plane losses.  Later in the game they have to figure out how best to attack what is left.  If you feel like you are constantly being harassed by the CV early game then you may want to reevaluate your positioning.   I play every ship type regularly including ships like Musashi.  The best way when planning these plane magnets is make yourself look less appealing until the CV moves on.  Stay close to AA boats, use your fighter consumables.   You will never prevent all damage from a CV but you can make it cost him to the point where it takes nearly the entire game to kill you which means your team now has the advantage. 

• Cool 1