You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RumpledSteelskins

0.8.3 is going to force me to be a crate hoarder

48 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
562 posts
14,026 battles

So we’re back to getting early ship unlocks from crate drops.  I really liked the way they did RN CVs with temp currency so if you wanted to, you could buy them and if you didn’t, you could buy other stuff or let the currency convert to credits.  I assume this means the feedback from the CVs was that most people preferred the “old” system of early unlocks.   I prefer to begin new ship lines at the start and grind my way through.  I don’t want half the line unlocked when it releases.  So now I will have to hoard loot crates until I grind Russian BBs all the way to tier 8 (or was it 7?  I don’t  remember exactly now).  

As I understand it, those missions will be in special crates, so I can open some,  but crates are opened sequentially, so some regular crates will be locked behind any specials I receive and will have to sit there unopened until I can run through and open them all after I won’t inadvertently get access to a ship I don’t want yet.  

What was wrong with giving players a choice on getting early access ships?

• Cool 3

[A-CUP]
Members
1,017 posts
8,115 battles

You can buy thoes crates with game tokens.. its a better option then we had with previous French BB and Brit DD containers

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
562 posts
14,026 battles
6 minutes ago, Nagato_Kai__Ni said:

You can buy thoes crates with game tokens.. its a better option then we had with previous French BB and Brit DD containers

Could be I missed that.  All I’ve really seen is the Dasha video this morning, I hate going through patch notes with a fine tooth comb.  Is that the only way you get them?  If so, I won’t buy any and problem solved.  Of course, there will be other stuff in them that’ll be useful that I’ll miss out on, but so be it.  I can live with that.  I’m sure the tokens can buy whatever that stuff is anyway.

[ARGSY]
Members
13,014 posts
8,296 battles
15 minutes ago, Nagato_Kai__Ni said:

You can buy thoes crates with game tokens..

I get the impression from what I read that this is the only way to access early-unlock missions. If that's the case, there will be no possibility of accidentally obtaining an unlock you didn't want.

16 minutes ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

I prefer to begin new ship lines at the start and grind my way through.

For the French battleships I was eager to get a head start because apart from the bizarre gun layouts on Normandie and Lyon they didn't really have any new, weird gimmicks. And I was a relatively new player who was very excited to have won early unlocks (Bretagne and Normandie).

For the British destroyers, there WERE new weird gimmicks (multiple short smokes, no speed boost) and so I wanted to play the line through. I got Acasta and Icarus within three days of that event opening, but I just played with them once or twice in co-op and then parked them until I'd ground out the T2 to T4. That could be an option for you.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WOLF2]
Members
562 posts
14,026 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

For the British destroyers, there WERE new weird gimmicks (no speed boost) and so I wanted to play the line through. I got Acasta and Icarus within three days of that event opening, but I just played with them once or twice in co-op and then parked them until I'd ground out the T2 to T4. That could be an option for you.

But.....but.....bright, new, shiny thing!!!!   I’d be like a goat staring at a pocket watch swinging on a chain!!  I’d be mesmerized!!!!  :Smile_amazed:  lol.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles

Haven't decided if I'm going all the way to tier 10 on day 1 with the Russian BBs, but getting a jump up to 6 or 7 would be nice, b/c the low tier ones seem pretty terrible. 

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,197 posts
6,029 battles
Just now, Gen_Saris said:

Haven't decided if I'm going all the way to tier 10 on day 1 with the Russian BBs, but getting a jump up to 6 or 7 would be nice, b/c the low tier ones seem pretty terrible. 

just like most if not all low tier bbs?

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

just like most if not all low tier bbs?

I like Myogi and Kongo... but otherwise, yeah. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,763 posts
15,494 battles

As long as you can choose to skip SOME of the line, I'll be happy. I don't like low tier BB play, and low-tier players probably don't want to see me there either.

Using SOME mechanism to "seed" people into non-starting tiers in the line is also good for the game overall, as it gets rid of the massive 240-players-in-BB-queue bottleneck that we've seen with past releases.

• Cool 2

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
9 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

As long as you can choose to skip SOME of the line, I'll be happy. I don't like low tier BB play, and low-tier players probably don't want to see me there either.

Using SOME mechanism to "seed" people into non-starting tiers in the line is also good for the game overall, as it gets rid of the massive 240-players-in-BB-queue bottleneck that we've seen with past releases.

Back in my WOT days I used to enjoy picking on people playing new lines at low tiers. Show them how the "latest and greatest" really isn't.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,565 posts

I probably won't even bother with the Russian BBs, so even if one unlocks I'm not sure I won't just sell it. 

• Cool 1

Members
268 posts
498 battles
15 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

I probably won't even bother with the Russian BBs, so even if one unlocks I'm not sure I won't just sell it. 

This...^

What do RU BB's offer that can't be gotten from other lines?

[ARGSY]
Members
13,014 posts
8,296 battles
13 minutes ago, ObviousAlt said:

Unusual accuracy at close ranges, stronk stalinium shells, armour plating that makes an ankylosaurus look naked, and a damage control party that recycles VERY quickly but has only limited charges. T10 is going to be a terror that can probably only be killed with fire, and people will forget they ever complained about British battleship incendiary shells.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,565 posts
17 minutes ago, ObviousAlt said:

This...^

2 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unusual accuracy at close ranges, stronk stalinium shells, armour plating that makes an ankylosaurus look naked, and a damage control party that recycles VERY quickly but has only limited charges. T10 is going to be a terror that can probably only be killed with fire, and people will forget they ever complained about British battleship incendiary shells.

That is, a bunch of bullcrap gimmicks and power creep that are bad for the game, but that WG hopes will draw people to spend money.

Half the reason I have no interest in the Russian BBs is because they're blatantly set up that way. 

• Cool 7

[ARGSY]
Members
13,014 posts
8,296 battles
2 hours ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

I really liked the way they did RN CVs with temp currency so if you wanted to, you could buy them and if you didn’t, you could buy other stuff or let the currency convert to credits.  I assume this means the feedback from the CVs was that most people preferred the “old” system of early unlocks.

I think it was more that the limited number of CVs on offer made it possible to do the system that way. It might have been more difficult to balance input vs. reward with four ships instead of three. Alternatively, they might have found that the system of two currencies required to buy any of the ships was ill-received, as was the fact that you had to cough up some amount of money to get yourself a tech-tree T8. 

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,495 posts

I will start at T8 regardless of drops.    So hopefully i can get the T8 free.

I have Zero want to touch anything below T8.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,197 posts
6,029 battles
38 minutes ago, Spyde said:

I will start at T8 regardless of drops.    So hopefully i can get the T8 free.

I have Zero want to touch anything below T8.

the t5 is ok,izmail is weird but the t7 and t8 are pretty good ships.

Edited by Cruxdei

[NSEW]
Members
1,214 posts
3 hours ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

I don’t want half the line unlocked when it releases

One of the main encouragements that I had from WG to sample Carrier/CV was their RN CV directives. Which gave us tasks and Florins to unlock Tier 4 & 6. Otherwise, grinding a tier line that I was half-interested wasn't doing it.

Honestly, if WG offered the same thing with the RU BBs. I wouldn't mind at all. It is the what comes with such directives that I enjoy. 

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,943 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That is, a bunch of bullcrap gimmicks and power creep that are bad for the game, but that WG hopes will draw people to spend money.

Half the reason I have no interest in the Russian BBs is because they're blatantly set up that way. 

That is because you are not Russian.

[PVE]
Members
9,344 posts
16,592 battles
2 hours ago, ObviousAlt said:

This...^

A new line to grind because I am done with all of the other ones. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
268 posts
498 battles
5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

A new line to grind because I am done with all of the other ones. :Smile_izmena:

You should have that OCD looked at....:Smile_glasses:

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

A line made up of paper ships after tier 5 will be very strong indeed. At least Richelieu existed so there is some basis in reality for tiers 9 and 10 to build off that design. The farthest the Russkie Navy got in reality was Gangut. Imagine the entire US line being made up after New York. 

I'm ok with a line needing a few hypothetical designs to fill all ten tiers, but IMO a line that's fully half paper is going too far.

All that being said, I'm hoping this line will be as wicked as the hype is suggesting, b/c I plan to be playing it very heavily. 

Power creep is simply a reality for all MMOs, the new stuff has to be better than the old stuff to get players to spend $$$ on it. Keep up with the curve or be left in the dust. 

[PVE]
Members
15,800 posts
10,460 battles
1 hour ago, LowSpeed_US said:

One of the main encouragements that I had from WG to sample Carrier/CV was their RN CV directives. Which gave us tasks and Florins to unlock Tier 4 & 6. Otherwise, grinding a tier line that I was half-interested wasn't doing it.

Honestly, if WG offered the same thing with the RU BBs. I wouldn't mind at all. It is the what comes with such directives that I enjoy. 

No Directives in this patch. It is all about the Victory points and tokens.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,565 posts
20 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

A line made up of paper ships after tier 5 will be very strong indeed. At least Richelieu existed so there is some basis in reality for tiers 9 and 10 to build off that design. The farthest the Russkie Navy got in reality was Gangut. Imagine the entire US line being made up after New York. 

I'm ok with a line needing a few hypothetical designs to fill all ten tiers, but IMO a line that's fully half paper is going too far.

All that being said, I'm hoping this line will be as wicked as the hype is suggesting, b/c I plan to be playing it very heavily. 

Power creep is simply a reality for all MMOs, the new stuff has to be better than the old stuff to get players to spend $$$ on it. Keep up with the curve or be left in the dust. 

If all MMOs will always power creep, then all MMOs are doomed from the start.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,197 posts
6,029 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

If all MMOs will always power creep, then all MMOs are doomed from the start.

that's why they don't exist anymore right? oh wait...