You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Coal ship purchases - check my thinking.

17 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles

So last night I finally acquired enough coal to buy the Jean Bart outright if I wanted to. I have no ship coupon - I spent the Christmas one on Salem - and I know the right thing to do is to wait until the next one drops in late June and save 25% of the rather hefty purchase price. 

However, last night I considered that if I bought the JB now at full price, I would likely have enough coal by the end of the year that I could afford the Yoshino with the June coupon just before it expires in December (assuming she would be out by then). That would leave the Christmas coupon free to be used on the Flint or Black if I managed to obtain enough steel throughout the year. 

Things have since taken a more interesting turn, though, because the patch notes for 0.8.3 announced that Yoshino (as well as a bunch of other ships) was going to be given to supertesters and CC's as of tomorrow. If her testing goes well she could be in the game as early as 0.8.4, though 0.8.5 is probably a safer bet in order to avoid stealing the Russian battleship line's thunder as well as to tidy up any deficiencies the testers find and give her another cycle of development time.

Whichever way things pan out, we are likely to know a whole lot more about Yoshino within the next four weeks.

If she turns out to be a reeking puddle of lukewarm syphilitic pus, then it would be worth waiting to buy the JB at a discount and I would still have the December voucher for a steel ship if I had obtained enough.

If she looks like a hot property, however, it might be worth leaving the JB aside. 228,000 coal is coincidentally enough to buy a 304,000 coal ship with the discount coupon, which is about the price that a lot of people are guessing for Yoshino when she is released.

So from that point of view it seems better to hold off, wait for the duration of this patch, see what Yoshino is like in testing, and play the Richelieu a whole lot to be sure her uptiered sister is actually what I want to blow the coal on.

Have I missed anything?

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,626 posts

For whatever it is worth, I really like my JB.

That said December is a long way away.  There will likely be several new ships for coal added between now and then.

[SRBL]
Members
280 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

So last night I finally acquired enough coal to buy the Jean Bart outright if I wanted to. I have no ship coupon - I spent the Christmas one on Salem - and I know the right thing to do is to wait until the next one drops in late June and save 25% of the rather hefty purchase price. 

However, last night I considered that if I bought the JB now at full price, I would likely have enough coal by the end of the year that I could afford the Yoshino with the June coupon just before it expires in December (assuming she would be out by then). That would leave the Christmas coupon free to be used on the Flint or Black if I managed to obtain enough steel throughout the year. 

I did and will be doing the same thing. Got Salem with the coupon in December. I have nearly enough now for JB but I wanted to see if Georgia will be coal or FXP before I buy Alaska, JB and the Flint (using the June coupon on Flint since I have nearly enough steel). 

[-AGW-]
Members
846 posts
11,814 battles

Of the coal ships I got so far (including Musashi) Jean Bart has been the best purchase.

[RED]
[RED]
Members
221 posts
11,017 battles

Save it for the Georgia, fingers crossed is coal.

Wouldn’ you rather have that then a T8 BB with reload gimmick?

[A-D-F]
3,626 posts
6 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

Save it for the Georgia, fingers crossed is coal.

Wouldn’ you rather have that then a T8 BB with reload gimmick?

While I also hope the Georgia is for coal, and I will be getting it as well, it is no less a "gimmick" itself.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,893 posts
8,245 battles
1 minute ago, custer_14 said:

Wouldn’ you rather have that than a T8 BB with reload gimmick?

I have doubts about the dispersion with the six-gun armament, but I'm prepared to be persuaded by any changes they make before release and a general seal of approval from the more prominent CC's. However, a more pertinent question is whether I actually need a high-tier American battleship. I only recently unlocked the New York and put Ovechkin in her, and my Texas will be fine for retraining him when he moves up to the New Mexico one day. He could even go in my Salem without too many problems, albeit not optimally. 

The JB reload gimmick also fills me with a little bit of trepidation - too much of her potential is locked up in it - but there are a lot of people who swear by her. Ultimately she would be a high-tier premium French BB that I didn't have to spend IRL money on, and a natural fit for the Richelieu captain. 

[A-D-F]
3,626 posts
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have doubts about the dispersion with the six-gun armament, but I'm prepared to be persuaded by any changes they make before release and a general seal of approval from the more prominent CC's. However, a more pertinent question is whether I actually need a high-tier American battleship. I only recently unlocked the New York and put Ovechkin in her, and my Texas will be fine for retraining him when he moves up to the New Mexico one day. He could even go in my Salem without too many problems, albeit not optimally. 

The JB reload gimmick also fills me with a little bit of trepidation - too much of her potential is locked up in it - but there are a lot of people who swear by her. Ultimately she would be a high-tier premium French BB that I didn't have to spend IRL money on, and a natural fit for the Richelieu captain. 

JBs AA is also no slouch.

Members
391 posts
72 battles
14 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

For whatever it is worth, I really like my JB.

That said December is a long way away.  There will likely be several new ships for coal added between now and then.

This!! Like my JB more and more.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

Will have to wait to see how Yoshino performs to be able to take any proper decision. She's an unknown value whereas Jean Bart is widely considered to be a pretty good ship with AA well suited for the coming months.

Bottom line it depends on your likings regarding ship classes and/or what you want to do in the future. If Yoshino turns out to be reasonably good she may have a spot in CB which further adds to her value.

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
980 posts
33 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It is for this reason that I am saving my over 350K coal - seeing the ships recently posted on dev blog (Smolensk, Colbert, Somers)….may be worth waiting.

Yoshino seems interesting, but could be a hot mess like Azuma.

If you like JB, more power to you.  I passed on JB - hated the Richelieu playstyle, betting it is more of the same. 

Have Des Moines - pass on Salem

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
7,515 posts
51 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Things have since taken a more interesting turn, though, because the patch notes for 0.8.3 announced that Yoshino (as well as a bunch of other ships) was going to be given to supertesters and CC's as of tomorrow. If her testing goes well she could be in the game as early as 0.8.4, though 0.8.5 is probably a safer bet in order to avoid stealing the Russian battleship line's thunder as well as to tidy up any deficiencies the testers find and give her another cycle of development time.

Whichever way things pan out, we are likely to know a whole lot more about Yoshino within the next four weeks.

If she turns out to be a reeking puddle of lukewarm syphilitic pus, then it would be worth waiting to buy the JB at a discount and I would still have the December voucher for a steel ship if I had obtained enough.

If she looks like a hot property, however, it might be worth leaving the JB aside. 228,000 coal is coincidentally enough to buy a 304,000 coal ship with the discount coupon, which is about the price that a lot of people are guessing for Yoshino when she is released.

So from that point of view it seems better to hold off, wait for the duration of this patch, see what Yoshino is like in testing, and play the Richelieu a whole lot to be sure her uptiered sister is actually what I want to blow the coal on.

Have I missed anything?

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, in that I have enough coal now, with the coupon, to get Jean Bart... but I don't know if JB will be worth it. 

Also just unlocked the Richelieu and could add it to my fleet, if I felt like it.  Not sure whether I want to keep Lyon, it disappoints me when I count on it and then surprises me when I give up on it.  But that would give me a better idea about whether I'd like JB.

Not sure what the Yoshino will be like, I keep wishing they'd put out a "supercruiser" that's like a tier 9 version of the Geneisenau/Scharnhorst, and instead we keep getting glass cannons.

For steel, I have about 3/4 of the Flint if I use a coupon on that, but no idea when -- if ever -- more steel will be available to those of us who avoid PVP as much as possible and refuse to enable WG when it comes to missions-for-sale. 

[PVE]
Members
15,713 posts
10,424 battles
52 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Have I missed anything?

I used my first ship coupon on Musashi and Salem and bought Jean Bart outright. So I'm done for coupons until June. I'm going for Yoshino and will probably just buy it outright as it should take 3-4 months to get back to the coal price. The June coupon should run until Christmas time and if there is another coal ship, I should be able to use it by then. If I get the 3,206 steel by Christmas, I can use the June coupon for Black.

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,612 posts
34,411 battles

I'm a penny pincher so I refuse to buy any coal ships without using the 25% discount coupon.  I got the Musashi with a coupon right before the December coupon reset to I currently have a coupon available.  But I'm waiting to see if any of the current coal ships are going to be removed before I use it.  I have until June to decide.

[RED]
[RED]
Members
221 posts
11,017 battles
55 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

- too much of her potential is locked up in i

Exactly, seems like feast or famine depending on how many broadsides at medium range you see. 

[H_]
Members
2,419 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Now......and enjoy her !  Tomorrow is another day !  And, look at the possibilities of increased revenue if she is a tool you can wield well !   And, for the RNG GOd and the Schwartz's sake, don't discount any reload gimmick.......especially now ! 

I suspect we'll see the Golden Bullet (only with ships with reload boosters/gimmicks), the Golden Torpedo (DD's with reload boosters only) and the Golden Proximity round right around the fall time period.....  And, I may be wrong, but I'll bet there will be "premium aircraft" upgrades near Xmas where CV's can buy more advanced aircraft for their CV's as a micro-transaction before each game.....  Oh, Chtulhu, they will come.....

[VETSN]
Members
650 posts
5,491 battles

I just picked up the JB a few weeks ago, and i'm already back at 80K coal.  Not worried about affording the Yoshino is it's a worthy ship.  In my experience, the JB is ridiculously fun to play, unless you're in a tier 10 game and they're HE spamming you.  With reload and accuracy mods, she's a DPM machine.  I didn't build a secondary ship, I went for AA.  So she still has good 2nd range at 9.3 with the flag.  Well worth full price coal IMO, I love it.  I also have the special capt. purchased with coal too.  He helps a little.