You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brhinosaurus

Neustrashimy for 20,500 steel

95 comments in this topic

[R-F]
Members
1,483 posts
8,765 battles

Tier 9 Russian DD Neustrashimy will be available starting tomorrow for 20,500 steel.  That's just a hair shy of a 50% markup over the game's only current steel destroyer, the Tier 9 USN DD Black for 14,000 steel. 

What does everyone think?  I did pretty well in the Ognevoi and as such have some interest in the Neustrashimy as it seems to be a fairly similar ship, but that's a big steel gamble.  What if I don't like it?  What if I get it and then, say, Somers is a steel ship and I can't afford it for several months?  Anybody getting it?

[HYDRO]
Members
3,559 posts
5,062 battles

With the coupon you are looking at a ~15k Steel price tag. Still a bit too steep for someone that doesn't do much competitive and won't be able to get soon enough much Steel; the more I think about it the more I am attracted to Black as my Steel ship.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,908 posts
12,228 battles

It's still enough to make it very hard to buy two of the steel prems at this point, you can afford 1, 2 or 0 and fiddling a few thousand steel matters little.

That said I don't feel much hype for Neustrashimy, an incredibly protracted Dev cycle. 

[INTEL]
Members
7,209 posts
30,501 battles

Can you spell E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E?

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles

Neustra is a solid boat.  I will be buying her as an option for ranked.  The repair is troll as hell and gives you incredible staying power.  Your guns might be so so blasting DDs, but that repair lets you tank better than just about any other DD giving you the good old cockroach advantage.  The torps are fantastic too, possibly some of the best DD killers in the game.  I have been waiting for Steel and Coal DDs, have 45k Steel and 250k coal along with a coupon ready and waiting. Good thing is a new coupon drops 6/22, so I will be able to double dip pretty easily.

ETA my recommendation is shes a buy if you like hybrid or torp boat play styles. 

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai
  • Cool 2

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,713 posts
7,704 battles
Just now, alexf24 said:

Can you spell E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E?

Let me try!

S O V I E T   S H I P B U I L D I N G

Did I get it right?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,495 posts

Most likely another Pass for me.   60k Steel and 420k Coal and nothing released that i want yet....   I have no need for a T9 DD.  

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
21,338 posts
15,057 battles
9 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Neustra is a solid boat.  I will be buying her as an option for ranked.  The repair is troll as hell and gives you incredible staying power.  Your guns might be so so blasting DDs, but that repair lets you tank better than just about any other DD giving you the good old cockroach advantage.  The torps are fantastic too, possibly some of the best DD killers in the game.  I have been waiting for Steel and Coal DDs, have 45k Steel and 250k coal along with a coupon ready and waiting. Good thing is a new coupon drops 6/22, so I will be able to double dip pretty easily.

ETA my recommendation is shes a buy if you like hybrid or torp boat play styles. 

Basically my opinion too, after having supertested her. I always quite enjoyed her. Unfortunately, 20k steel is a little bit above my budget - even 15k with coupon will be a whole heap of steel to try and get my hands on.

• Cool 1

[R-F]
Members
1,483 posts
8,765 battles
12 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

well you and @Lert are making a pretty solid case.  Maybe it's worth a try after all.  

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
6,106 battles

NOPE.

not worth the steel.

Only 4 guns, slow torp reload. the only thing you have is the zombie heal. not worth it imo as you will literally have to dictate the every time you engage so you can disengage, heal up and then come back and then repeat with 4 guns lmbo.

anyway, with all the CV spotting, and radar to follow it up and unimpressive AA, i really dont think its worth 20k steel. better save a bit more and get the burgerone (yes i know its mispelled intentionally), in any case, I dont think ranked will ever be tier 9 again. WG did that only 1 time as they didnt want to allow CVs in the arms race ranked mode as they were just realeased and still in balancing phase. in future it will be just more tier 10s, or 8 or 7s.

better to save up for the somers if thats for steel

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles

As I expected, Neustrashimy would be relying more on torps to do some decent firepower when you got only two gun turrets.

42 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Tier 9 Russian DD Neustrashimy will be available starting tomorrow for 20,500 steel.  That's just a hair shy of a 50% markup over the game's only current steel destroyer, the Tier 9 USN DD Black for 14,000 steel. 

What does everyone think?  I did pretty well in the Ognevoi and as such have some interest in the Neustrashimy as it seems to be a fairly similar ship, but that's a big steel gamble.  What if I don't like it?  What if I get it and then, say, Somers is a steel ship and I can't afford it for several months?  Anybody getting it?

Indeed, Project 41 Neustrashimy is, in fact, a direct evolution of Pr. 30-K Ognevoy, followed by the postwar version Pr. 30bis Skoryy/Smetliy.

Now I wonder when will Pr. 56 Kotlin come into the game, eventually? It has been two years that WG kept it in the shelf.

Hmmm... Since I've left out for a year, are those coals & steels a currency for Arsenal store or something?

Edited by Xero_Snake

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles
17 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

With the coupon you are looking at a ~15k Steel price tag. Still a bit too steep for someone that doesn't do much competitive and won't be able to get soon enough much Steel; the more I think about it the more I am attracted to Black as my Steel ship.

If resources are limited think hard about what you buy.  I mostly play DDs competitively.  I love playing T9 ships, especially with the XP reward rework that gives you more XP for damage to higher tier ships, but T9 is not going to be a consistent tier for ranked, clan battles or any other competitive play.  That really does limit their overall utility.

I have only bought what I wanted, or what my clan asked me to buy to give our team more depth in ships (Stalingrad).  Stalingrad is a colossal waste for me, I just dont find large ships interesting.  I think I have taken her out 5-6 times since she first came out.

If you are looking for Steel try CB.  With cross server access you can find a time slot for you, its just a matter of finding a clan, and lots are asking for players.  The new reward ladder makes Steel pretty accessible.  With a clan you can build the steel and coal ports that give bonuses on what you earn too.  We are almost ready to buy the second upgrade on hte Steel port that will increase our bonus to 7% of steel earned. 

They all add up after over time, and is a really nice perk for joining a clan.

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles
4 minutes ago, LookUpAndSpit said:

NOPE.

not worth the steel.

Only 4 guns, slow torp reload. the only thing you have is the zombie heal. not worth it imo as you will literally have to dictate the every time you engage so you can disengage, heal up and then come back and then repeat with 4 guns lmbo.

anyway, with all the CV spotting, and radar to follow it up and unimpressive AA, i really dont think its worth 20k steel. better save a bit more and get the burgerone (yes i know its mispelled intentionally), in any case, I dont think ranked will ever be tier 9 again. WG did that only 1 time as they didnt want to allow CVs in the arms race ranked mode as they were just realeased and still in balancing phase. in future it will be just more tier 10s, or 8 or 7s.

better to save up for the somers if thats for steel

The AA is not nearly as bad as you think. 

I think there is a chance ranked will occur at T9 again, WG said they got pretty good feedback on it.

Regardless a T10 Steel DD will always have more utility due to CB and the occasional ranked season.

[R-F]
Members
1,483 posts
8,765 battles
3 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

Regardless a T10 Steel DD will always have more utility due to CB and the occasional ranked season.

Yes... wonder when they'll give us one of those.

[R-F]
Members
236 posts
11,587 battles
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Yes... wonder when they'll give us one of those.

don't hold your breath. I like you R-F guys and it would be a shame to lose one of you to suicide.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,559 posts
5,062 battles
12 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

snip.

Thank you for the advice, truth is I'm not playing WoWs constantly and am from EU, so while the cross server feature is welcome I don't think CB is for me. I  love the chaos of Randoms much more since it can be a constant challenge, especially for DDs.

The argument for Black is that with minimal Ranked effort I can afford her, she can share a Commander with both my Kidd and Fletcher and do some good cap control. If she had another consumable slot for DFAA I wouldn't even think about buying her.

Neustrashimy on the other hand is pretty unique as a ship and seems an interesting hybrid with torpedo focus. The Repair Party seems excellent to be aggressive which I really like. To afford her however I would need to Rank out in the upcoming season and play a tad more in the next one to be able to afford her; not so sure if I wanna get into this.

[SYN]
Members
15,354 posts
12,506 battles

I feel like Neustramy will mesh well with a Groz captain.

And next Ranked is T10, so you can't use Neutsramy anyways

Members
428 posts
11,911 battles

It's a tier 9. So no use for CBs as they are now. I'd rather save my steel for a tier X that I can use in CBs. 

It also only has four guns and is more of a torp boat, which is strange for a VMF DD. 

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
204 posts
10,759 battles

20,500 steel kick in the nuts for a DD that gets CV'd to death...

NOPE! 

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,043 battles
2 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

I feel like Neustramy will mesh well with a Groz captain.

And next Ranked is T10, so you can't use Neutsramy anyways

I use my second 19 point Grozovoy captain (speced for CB) on her.  AFT is not needed for Neustra or CB Grozovoy.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,713 posts
7,704 battles
19 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

If resources are limited think hard about what you buy.  I mostly play DDs competitively.  I love playing T9 ships, especially with the XP reward rework that gives you more XP for damage to higher tier ships, but T9 is not going to be a consistent tier for ranked, clan battles or any other competitive play.  That really does limit their overall utility.

I have only bought what I wanted, or what my clan asked me to buy to give our team more depth in ships (Stalingrad).  Stalingrad is a colossal waste for me, I just dont find large ships interesting.  I think I have taken her out 5-6 times since she first came out.

If you are looking for Steel try CB.  With cross server access you can find a time slot for you, its just a matter of finding a clan, and lots are asking for players.  The new reward ladder makes Steel pretty accessible.  With a clan you can build the steel and coal ports that give bonuses on what you earn too.  We are almost ready to buy the second upgrade on hte Steel port that will increase our bonus to 7% of steel earned. 

They all add up after over time, and is a really nice perk for joining a clan.

The problem with Neustrashimy (and the reason why I will hold my steel back) is that she is very expensive for a T9 Steel DD.

Granted we only have Black to compare, but still this is one hell of an increase.

Members
721 posts

Id like to know why its 20.5k steel almost 50% more then the other T9 dd uss black.  Thats an insane price jump.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,259 posts
508 battles
2 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

The problem with Neustrashimy (and the reason why I will hold my steel back) is that she is very expensive for a T9 Steel DD.

Granted we only have Black to compare, but still this is one hell of an increase.

Just to keep in mind, at the time the Black was released an economy for Steel really didn't exist so most people had little to spend.  Consider Steel Monsters campaign, holiday missions, Snowflakes, more seasons of Ranked/CB and there is a lot more Steel available than there used to be. 

It may take folks a little time, but we're very confident it's an obtainable goal.

• Cool 3