You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
saintsfan1622000

0.8.3 seems low on content and high on purchasables

95 comments in this topic

Members
443 posts
11,931 battles

Hello all,

I see the Soviet arch starts in 8.3, which is good, but also means WG will sell more boxes to give people a chance to get a TECH TREE ship 30 days early. Not a good deal at all. 

Clan bank is OK, but I'm sure we'll see many players take the money and run and clans fall apart because of it. Good to see the bank is built for free when you think how little it gives at the current time for 99 percent of clans. 

Azur Lane: I don't get the link between this game and that and why WG shoves it down everyone's throat. More money for WG though with ships and camos and probably boxes. 

64-bit client: Yay! Welcome to 2019 everyone. We should have a party. 

I was excited to see CV improvements until I saw it was 73 words. Yep. Great. CV's have been live for four months now and will soon be in ranked and for now, they'll be left as is. I just don't think they are that much better than the RTS days as far as how OP they are and how frustrating they are to play against, despite all the time and money WG has poured into them. 

Port improvements: It's about time. I'd still love to see a dismount all flags option and a UI that feels like it belongs in a 2019 game that is in "full release."

Armory: More camos to buy. Yep.

Game balance: Minor compared to what needs to be done: Buff the 52, YY and Khaba, to start. Then buff the Hindy and nerf the HIV. And that's just the first things that come to mind. 

I get the camos for the Lennin and Minsk won the contest as voted on by the players, but those camos just look boring. We already have a black camo in the game. At least they are earnable. 

So overall I don't see that much new content in 8.3 and I see a good bit of loot boxes, new camos to buy and premium ships being added. So I'm pretty disappointed overall. 

Edited by saintsfan1622000
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 5

[5BS]
Members
7,637 posts
9 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

Game balance: Minor compared to what needs to be done: Buff the 52, YY and Khaba, to start. Then buff the Hindy and nerf the HIV. And that's just the first things that come to mind. 

You're one of those guys that hides at the back the whole match aren't you?

Otherwise, it is a lackluster patch but mostly because they aren't really adding anything overall, purchasable or not. The 64 bit is something they should have done from day 1 and is welcomed but yeah, it shoulda been there from day 1. As far as camos go, IMO I'm all for them. Most games' make their bones from cosmetics and is a much safer business model for all involved.

• Cool 3

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles
17 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

Azur Lane: I don't get the link between this game and that and why WG shoves it down everyone's throat. More money for WG though with ships and camos and probably boxes. 

How is it shoved down everyone's throats? Last time people had to opt in, and this one will likely follow the pattern set by the previous AL and HSF collaborations. Plus WG provides options to disable the camos so you'll never see it ingame if you don't want to. People don't have to buy the ships, captains, camos, or do the collection if they don't want to.

I'd say that WG has been as accommodating as possible.

• Cool 15
  • Boring 1

Supertester
4,130 posts
4,279 battles
3 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

How is it shoved down everyone's throats? Last time people had to opt in, and this one will likely follow the pattern set by the previous AL and HSF collaborations. Plus WG provides options to disable the camos so you'll never see it.

It's opt-in and wg has also provided an option not to see it in game if you, for some reason, pressed the orange button without liking it...

Members
443 posts
11,931 battles
4 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

How is it shoved down everyone's throats? Last time people had to opt in, and this one will likely follow the pattern set by the previous AL and HSF collaborations. Plus WG provides options to disable the camos so you'll never see it ingame if you don't want to.

As in why is that included in the game at all? If someone wanted Azur Lane why not just let them go get it? Why add that into an early 20th century naval combat game? I don't get it. 

• Cool 1

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,568 posts
5,666 battles
18 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

As in why is that included in the game at all? If someone wanted Azur Lane why not just let them go get it? Why add that into an early 20th century naval combat game? I don't get it. 

Because Azur Lane is a mobile game featuring anthropomorphised WW2 warships, and both games have a lot of overlap. It benefits both companies to collaborate and promote each other, and potentially gain new customers and sales, especially in the Asian market. Simple to understand.

And you realise that Wargaming doesn't give much of a crap about history right? Paper ships, space ships, toy boats, halloween octopus tentacle ships, Kobayashi beer can camos, Steven Seagal and Jingles captains to name a few examples. Captains and reskins is nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,728 posts
34 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

Hello all,

I see the Soviet arch starts in 8.3, which is good, but also means WG will sell more boxes to give people a chance to get a TECH TREE ship 30 days early. Not a good deal at all. 

In your opinion.  I won't be purchasing anything to early unlock ships in this line but I did for the UK CVs. That particular line interested me and it was worth it to me to gain not only early access but the other time saving items that came with them.  People do purchase early unlock crates or items all the time.  WG does it because it makes money.

Members
443 posts
11,931 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

I your opinion.  I won't be purchasing anything to early unlock ships in this line but I did for the UK CVs. That particular line interested me and it was worth it to me to gain not only early access but the other time saving items that came with them.  People do purchase early unlock crates or items all the time.  WG does it because it makes money.

I get that, but for a patience player like me that has no issue grinding the line so I can learn it, it just means nothing to me. So what is the biggest part of the update has very little value to me. 

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
5 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

We really could use more maps....

But maps don't generate income like new ships and fancy paint jobs do. Just like port and UI improvements don't pay either. 

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,994 posts
Just now, Gen_Saris said:

But maps don't generate income like new ships and fancy paint jobs do. Just like port and UI improvements don't pay either. 

Not directly, but more maps in a rotation do cut down on burnout which means folks will play longer and get exposed to more premium must have content.

[A-D-F]
3,728 posts
2 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

I get that, but for a patience player like me that has no issue grinding the line so I can learn it, it just means nothing to me. So what is the biggest part of the update has very little value to me. 

As much as I am sure WG tries, (as it is in their best interest), it is likely nearly impossible to create every single patch to include content that interests every single player.

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
3 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

As much as I am sure WG tries, (as it is in their best interest), it is likely nearly impossible to create every single patch to include content that interests every single player.

The last 2 patches in a row have been carriers, which interest only a handful of players. My playtime and spending on the game have certainly dropped by a large amount because of this. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[A-D-F]
3,728 posts
5 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

The patch notes include changes and improvements to the port UI.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,968 posts
8,267 battles
33 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

but also means WG will sell more boxes to give people a chance to get a TECH TREE ship 30 days early. Not a good deal at all. 

We all need to realise that these ships can be obtained for free just by playing the game, and spending money to try to get them requires a very careful assessment of whether the money spent is worth the time saved. The flags and other stuff you get along the way can be a big factor in helping some people decide that it is, and there are quite a few who buy the boxes for the flags and camo foremost & treat the ship unlocks (if they get them) as icing on the cake.

Rash and foolish people who spend more on boxes purely for a high-tier unlock than it would have cost them to convert FXP for the jump generally do not get my sympathy.

[A-D-F]
3,728 posts
6 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

The last 2 patches in a row have been carriers, which interest only a handful of players. My playtime and spending on the game have certainly dropped by a large amount because of this. 

They have, and they have been "my patches".  IE, patches that really interested me and I was excited about.  They are over now and this one isn't super interesting to me.  I will get as much for free out of it as I can to save myself as much time as possible in the future grind but, I won't be as excited about this one.

It happens, this patch is mostly "not my patch".  Just like you and I have different interests, singular patches can't cater to everyone.  Not the end of the world.

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
1 minute ago, Burnsy said:

They have, and they have been "my patches".  IE, patches that really interested me and I was excited about.  They are over now and this one isn't super interesting to me.  I will get as much for free out of it as I can to same myself as much time as possible in the future grind but, it won't be super interesting to me.

It happens and this patch is mostly "not my patch".  Just like you and I have different interests, singular patches can't cater to everyone.  Not the end of the world.

Certainly not every patch is going to interest every player, but two in a row catering to the smallest subgroup of players seems like a boneheaded move. 

Beta Testers
268 posts

I don't get the weeb camo's or why they are in a Naval Game, but hey.. I can disable them so who cares.  Loot boxes are fine, they have to make money some how.  The CV stuff is still a disaster.  So, to me, this is a typical WG patch.

[A-CUP]
Members
1,017 posts
8,115 battles
33 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

How is it shoved down everyone's throats? Last time people had to opt in, and this one will likely follow the pattern set by the previous AL and HSF collaborations. Plus WG provides options to disable the camos so you'll never see it ingame if you don't want to. People don't have to buy the ships, captains, camos, or do the collection if they don't want to.

^^^^ This.. WG is not forcing you to buy all the stuff.. If you hate it can simply ignore and move on

[A-D-F]
3,728 posts
7 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Certainly not every patch is going to interest every player, but two in a row catering to the smallest subgroup of players seems like a boneheaded move. 

For being the smallest subgroup, there sure is a lot of complaints about double CVs in every match :).  Just like this patch and the new RU BB line, WG's marketing research team would not have signed off on it, if they didn't project enough sales to make the work profitable.

[H_]
Members
2,440 posts
11 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Not directly, but more maps in a rotation do cut down on burnout which means folks will play longer and get exposed to more premium must have content.

Cost benefit ratio............more "stuff" versus quality content.......sorry GI, no can do until the profit margin recovers.....if, it ever does.

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

For being the smallest subgroup, there sure is a lot of complaints about double CVs in every match :).  Just like this patch and the new RE BB line, WG's marketing research team would not have recommended it, if they didn't project enough sales to make their work profitable.

Four players out of 24 certainly seems like the smallest subgroup to me...

That they had to limit the number of CVs per game speaks about how unbalanced the class is. 

And in catering to them WG risks alienating the largest and most vocal subgroup, DD players. 

Edited by Gen_Saris
  • Boring 3

[A-D-F]
3,728 posts
6 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Four players out of 24 certainly seems like the smallest subgroup to me...

And in catering to them WG risks alienating the largest and most vocal subgroup, DD players. 

I am sure that OP would appreciate it, if we didn't turn his thread about the new 8.3 patch into yet another CV debate thread.

Members
95 posts
403 battles
59 minutes ago, saintsfan1622000 said:

Hello all,

Clan bank is OK, but I'm sure we'll see many players take the money and run and clans fall apart because of it. Good to see the bank is built for free when you think how little it gives at the current time for 99 percent of clans. 

64-bit client: Yay! Welcome to 2019 everyone. We should have a party. 

I was excited to see CV improvements until I saw it was 73 words. Yep. Great. CV's have been live for four months now and will soon be in ranked and for now, they'll be left as is. I just don't think they are that much better than the RTS days as far as how OP they are and how frustrating they are to play against, despite all the time and money WG has poured into them. 

Port improvements: It's about time. I'd still love to see a dismount all flags option and a UI that feels like it belongs in a 2019 game that is in "full release."

Armory: More camos to buy. Yep.

I get the camos for the Lennin and Minsk won the contest as voted on by the players, but those camos just look boring. We already have a black camo in the game. At least they are earnable. 

So overall I don't see that much new content in 8.3 and I see a good bit of loot boxes, new camos to buy and premium ships being added. So I'm pretty disappointed overall. 

where was your post when 8.2 went live with the prem CVs? or is it cause it werent russian boats?

Edited by LGBTQ_DatingApp