You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bobomite

World of CVs

135 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
22 posts
347 battles

Recently returned to the game.  I generally (used) to play DDs.

Is it just me or is every battle nothing but a never ending swarm of airplanes??  I can barely even make it into the first cap point before I have airplanes stuck to me all match long.

I recently did 14 battles in a row, and one battle out of 14 had no CVs.  Two had one CV each side, 10 had 2 CVs each side.  And one had three CVs per side.

Is there any point in playing DD any longer?

• Cool 12
  • Boring 3

Beta Testers
799 posts
4,584 battles

I mean we did have a CV rework so iamnot sure what you'd expect. Don't worry they are getting a time before they can launch planes at the beginning so DDs will be able to atleast make it to the caps before complaining of getting rocketed by CVs

• Funny 1

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles
On 4/23/2019 at 8:21 AM, Bobomite said:

Is it just me or is every battle nothing but a never ending swarm of airplanes??  I can barely even make it into the first cap point before I have airplanes stuck to me all match long.

I recently did 14 battles in a row, and one battle out of 14 had no CVs.  Two had one CV each side, 10 had 2 CVs each side.  And one had three CVs per side.

Carriers are warships. Are you shocked when you see 2 battleships or 2 destroyers? Of course not. They have limited the number of CVs in high tier games but many have bought CVs and lower tiers will usually have at least 2 per side from what I've seen.

As to DDs,  players who have adapted to the gameplay post CV are having good games in them. Players who haven't are getting wiped out and are very upset about it. I'm a DD main but have been playing a lot of CV lately. IMO dds are totally viable if you plan around the enemy CV.

d9b5ad14c0a8e648cb5ed50afc115b89d40921a1ac867374eee0a5bb268a0597.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Boring 3

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles

The premium CVs were also just recently re-released, so that will be bumping the numbers up too. That said, even with 2 CVs per team, there's less squads in the air than a single pre-rework CV would field.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

@Bobomite

It's not just you and unless you want to either play with one of the few DDs with really good AA or you want to slow play them where you stay with the fleet and always have cover from friendly ships then their is no point in playing DDs.

If you are just getting back watch a few vids and look around.  There are ways to decrease how terrible it is, more aggressive smoking, AA off, throttle control, etc..  but overall life in DDs is pretty tough these days.  

Edited by T_O_dubl_D
  • Cool 2

[RSWF]
Members
48 posts
3,217 battles

Yes, running a DD is painful with all these planes.  I've been running my DDs in Co-op.  No nasty planes there.

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,684 posts
3,560 battles

I love that it is consistent now. CVs are in pretty much every high tier game, and their strikes go quickly so you are sure to have to deal with them at least once a match.

They need to be less effective against DDs, but DDs also need to be open to change

Edited by _1204_
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
22 posts
347 battles

Well thanks for some feedback and ideas.  I suppose they won't just take CVs away or anything after redesigning them... so yep I may as well get used to it.

Maybe I'll try cruisers now instead, as well.

• Cool 1

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,495 posts

Just have to change how you play your DD.

They are still very much usable.  CV's need some nerfs vs DD"s  but they don't need nerfs vs the other ships.   It will take time to get a perfect balance.

[H_]
Members
2,431 posts
17 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

Carriers are warships. Are you shocked when you see 2 battleships or 2 destroyers? Of course not. They have limited the number of CVs in high tier games but many have bought CVs and lower tiers will usually have at least 2 per side from what I've seen.

As to DDs,  players who have adapted to the gameplay post CV are having good games in them. Players who haven't are getting wiped out and are very upset about it. I'm a DD main but have been playing a lot of CV lately. IMO dds are totally viable if you plan around the enemy CV.

Yes, carriers are "warships" but, they are not surface combatants....  They do not have direct fire guns...or torps.   All they have are planes...........and, planes aren't ships; in that, they operate at greatly faster speeds and ranges.   They are actually, less effective but, they never end in this game when there are two CV's operating together....  Or, more than two is a nightmare; and, when we (a division of our clan) encounter 3+, we just "give up and get it over with as fast as possible..."  It's not "value added" to play games with > 1 CV in it........there is no return on investment for our limited time !  And, there is zero fun being detected all game long no matter what you do.....

Sorry Moar, there is no "adapt" and any suggestion that there is is hyperbole.  And think about what you said:  "play around the enemy CV".........isn't the entire point of the game to attack those significant ships?  And yet, where are the CV's ?  Far, Far out of range with almost no conceivable chance to engage them.........and yet, less than three minutes into any game, CV's are spotting you and just a few minutes later, you are a smoking ruin well before you reach a single cap.........all the while, the CV is hiding 35K behind an island.....  No, you are not correct:  Carriers are strategic weapons platforms; and, Surface Combatants fight within LOS......the difference is what changed WW2 and what we do today........  We are attempting to mix apples and oranges by saying they are both fruit !  Sorry.......  If that were true, there would not be all of the moaning and people leaving/retiring/stopped spending going on.   Or, in my case only playing COOP or scenarios....

• Cool 7
  • Funny 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,850 posts
4,057 battles

If the rework was meant to make sure more players played them then I'm sure WG considers it a success?   Watching que numbers last night it is clear that their population in ques...at least at tiers 6-8 are on par with other classes or getting very close.  Of course the 2 cap limit probably means some stay in ques longer than other ships...    I leave others to argue the semantics of whether that's good or bad for their enjoyment or the game.   I'm enjoying them finally after being completely disinterested in the RTS version the game launched with.         

[-GPF-]
Members
770 posts
4,186 battles

CV player here. Let me tell you, the difference between us CVs wiping out your DD or barely scraping it is all on you. Some DDs don't bother trying to maneuver or use Islands and friendly ships to help them evade us, those are the ones we squash. Then there are the DDs who actively dodge our attacks, maneuver, use islands etc. Those are the buggers that are really hard to hunt down. Be that DD. Or y'know, keep giving me free damage. 

• Cool 4

Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
1 hour ago, Bobomite said:

I can barely even make it into the first cap point before I have airplanes stuck to me all match long.

Don't rush the caps in a CV match. Wait till your cruisers move up enough to give some AA cover.

• Cool 1

[EGEA]
[EGEA]
Beta Testers
325 posts
3,731 battles

I always find it funny, first it was to many torps I can't play, or thats to OP now it's planes. Come on people get a grip lol.

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
1 hour ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

CVs are NOT direct fire ships like the other classes, which is why they cannot be balanced to fit in the game. 

• Cool 2

[BOTO]
Members
586 posts
10,908 battles

I've been grinding several DD lines from Tier VII to Tier X over the past month or so and running about a 65% win rate. (I'm a cruiser main and wouldn't call myself a very good DD player either).  So yeah, I'd say there's still a point in playing DDs.  Just don't do like most people and freak out because there's a CV in the match.  Do the best you can and try to win, it's been working for me so far.

[BOTO]
Members
586 posts
10,908 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Yes, carriers are "warships" but, they are not surface combatants....  They do not have direct fire guns...or torps.   All they have are planes...........and, planes aren't ships; in that, they operate at greatly faster speeds and ranges.   They are actually, less effective but, they never end in this game when there are two CV's operating together....  Or, more than two is a nightmare; and, when we (a division of our clan) encounter 3+, we just "give up and get it over with as fast as possible..."  It's not "value added" to play games with > 1 CV in it........there is no return on investment for our limited time !  And, there is zero fun being detected all game long no matter what you do.....

Sorry Moar, there is no "adapt" and any suggestion that there is is hyperbole.  And think about what you said:  "play around the enemy CV".........isn't the entire point of the game to attack those significant ships?  And yet, where are the CV's ?  Far, Far out of range with almost no conceivable chance to engage them.........and yet, less than three minutes into any game, CV's are spotting you and just a few minutes later, you are a smoking ruin well before you reach a single cap.........all the while, the CV is hiding 35K behind an island.....  No, you are not correct:  Carriers are strategic weapons platforms; and, Surface Combatants fight within LOS......the difference is what changed WW2 and what we do today........  We are attempting to mix apples and oranges by saying they are both fruit !  Sorry.......  If that were true, there would not be all of the moaning and people leaving/retiring/stopped spending going on.   Or, in my case only playing COOP or scenarios....

I've yet to have a CV delete my DD after the first few minutes of a game.  If the teams have 2 CVs each and 4 DDs each, the 2 of those DDs are going to be free at any particular time to do, you know, DD things.  I've survived several battles where I've been the ONLY DD on my team and the other team has a one or two carriers and multiple radar ships.

One of the keys to me becoming a much better player was to stop worrying about things beyond my control.  MM, carriers, radar, whatever.  I just go into every match wanting to win and trying to play smart in order to accomplish that goal.

• Cool 2

[H_]
Members
2,431 posts
38 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Don't rush the caps in a CV match. Wait till your cruisers move up enough to give some AA cover.

Ah, they aren't !   They are all tied up shooting down aircraft in the murder balls Cv's created.... There are more ships without "significant AA values" than those with sufficient AA, and they must stay together !  Those AA CL's are killing the AC that attack those "balls of ships" and that leaves the Caps........unsupported.   I didn't create this nightmare and CV drivers are telling the world "how easy it is to avoid us (chuckle, chuckle...)"  If it were as simple as you say, don't you think there'd be almost no angst of the forum?  And yet, everyday, about a dozen complaints from average players just frustrated with the CV meta.... 

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few....."  and, for many of us, we are done with CV's and are abandoning randoms matches and stopped spending....  They, rando matches,  just aren't value added anymore ! 

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
314 posts
12,201 battles

No, right now there really isn't much point to playing DDs (unless it's a Gearing or Kidd) versus playing a US cruiser or US battleship since those classes have strong AA and needn't worry about CVs. The delusional players who think the game is balanced call this "adapting". Also, you just get crapped on in chat for making any mistakes in a DD while both CVs send planes to the other side of the map.

• Cool 2

[H_]
Members
2,431 posts
2 minutes ago, Aaron_S_Merrill said:

I've yet to have a CV delete my DD after the first few minutes of a game.  If the teams have 2 CVs each and 4 DDs each, the 2 of those DDs are going to be free at any particular time to do, you know, DD things.  I've survived several battles where I've been the ONLY DD on my team and the other team has a one or two carriers and multiple radar ships.

One of the keys to me becoming a much better player was to stop worrying about things beyond my control.  MM, carriers, radar, whatever.  I just go into every match wanting to win and trying to play smart in order to accomplish that goal.

That is well said !  But, that is not "my" reality.  Nor, the reality of hundreds of other average players that have an hour a night to play.......  In that hour, all we see are planes, planes and more planes and THAT, is where "value added" goes out the window......  Value is Fun and actual in-game $$$......the stuff, XP, Costs and the game value we use to "experiment with something else..."    That one hour now is significantly less that before 8.0.....  The "value" is so reduced that all we end up doing is being "targets" for someone else....  We, as a DD drivers, have nothing left in our arsenals left since Stealth, Smoke, Torpedo damage and low AA values are all against us......  I'm glad you are having fun.....  The rest of us, are looking for another way to spend that one hour........because, even operating AA CL's has de evolved into nothing but shooting airplanes.  CA's can't get close enough to the caps, even with good AA to support surviving DD's !  BB's and CA's are so busy trying to not be attacked by waves of aircraft that the game itself, makes no sense anymore !   There are entire games where BB's aren't shooting anything if "our teams CV driver(s) aren't as skilled as the enemies !

There is nothing in our control anymore:  the entire game is decided by aircraft in the first three minutes !   After that, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy based not on my skill, but the skill of another player(s)....

A good point but, some of use want a little more than luck and the ability of one or two other players.....

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,643 posts
5 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

There is nothing in our control anymore:  the entire game is decided by aircraft in the first three minutes !  

Keep in mind that WG has said that they are going to create a delay at the beginning of the game, during which CVs cannot launch planes.

They have also said since the launch of 8.0, that CVs will be under rebalancing for some time to come.  The above is an example of that claim, still in action.

• Boring 1

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles
2 hours ago, Bobomite said:

Yes and no, you can still play DDs, but their gameplay is very slow and boring now (at least IMO), sit in the back, near other AA ships waiting your chance to do something. Might as well just play a BB or crusier intead a DD. 

There are game sthat i wonder if implaying World of Warships or World of Warplanes. 

Edited by Xlap

[UEFN]
Members
970 posts
17,538 battles

CV should be standard in every single battle.

The battle should not even be allow to begin until there's enough CV in the queue to drop.

[BOTO]
Members
586 posts
10,908 battles
3 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

That is well said !  But, that is not "my" reality.  Nor, the reality of hundreds of other average players that have an hour a night to play.......  In that hour, all we see are planes, planes and more planes and THAT, is where "value added" goes out the window......  Value is Fun and actual in-game $$$......the stuff, XP, Costs and the game value we use to "experiment with something else..."    That one hour now is significantly less that before 8.0.....  The "value" is so reduced that all we end up doing is being "targets" for someone else....  We, as a DD drivers, have nothing left in our arsenals left since Stealth, Smoke, Torpedo damage and low AA values are all against us......  I'm glad you are having fun.....  The rest of us, are looking for another way to spend that one hour........because, even operating AA CL's has de evolved into nothing but shooting airplanes.  CA's can't get close enough to the caps, even with good AA to support surviving DD's !  BB's and CA's are so busy trying to not be attacked by waves of aircraft that the game itself, makes no sense anymore !   There are entire games where BB's aren't shooting anything if "our teams CV driver(s) aren't as skilled as the enemies !

There is nothing in our control anymore:  the entire game is decided by aircraft in the first three minutes !   After that, it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy based not on my skill, but the skill of another player(s)....

A good point but, some of use want a little more than luck and the ability of one or two other players.....

The game is NOT decided by aircraft in the first three minutes.  The first step to having a better experience and being more successful is to recognize that.  I may possibly be an above average player but I'm nowhere near unicum, I don't have any secret formula, skill, or experience.

The whole "the sky is falling" mentality is the biggest detriment to a lot of players.

• Cool 4

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

Sorry Moar, there is no "adapt" and any suggestion that there is is hyperbole.

The advent of the CV spelled the end of the surface combatant. The most significant naval engagements of WWII primarily involved aircraft.  By the end of the war even the mighty battleship evolved to become a CV escort, the big guns reduced to a surface bombardment role in support of amphibious operations. 

• Cool 1