Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_RC1138

Second USN DD Line?

8 comments in this topic

[5BS]
Members
7,625 posts

So is Wargaming making a second USN DD line slowly?

So far in the queue there is the T5 USS Hill, basically a T5 flush decker mini Fletcher, T9 USS Benham which I would have thought to be a side-grade to a Benson rather than a Fletcher but w/e soft stats they will play with to make her work at T9, and Somers at T10 which actually makes sense, especially if they tone down the Gearing's anti-ship ability a bit. So WGing has before 'progressively' made a line by adding in parts of a line over time before releasing so if that is the case here, is it part of a broader reworking of USN DD's (mixing tiers/lines like the USN Cruisers) or just simply more premiums? It honestly could go either way but I'm starting to notice a trend here.

Failing that, the USN DD's are soon to be the most 'complete' Premium line, with premiums at every tier other than 3 and 4. The next closest is the RU Cruiser line, missing only Tier 4 and arguably T8 (given Kutuzov is no longer sellable) (assuming Lazo ever get's released) and the USN Cruisers, missing only T4 and T6.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,994 posts

I thought both those you mentioned were going to be premiums.  Of course I have no idea why WG is making a T5 premium since they get bad MM and can't even be used in OPs.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

The question is, should the line break off from Mahan ? Then you could go Bagley or Gridley and have one be a premium. The only curious thing was the Hill announcement which implies a far earlier split, possibly at tier V. In that case Mahan may be moved around.

[5BS]
Members
7,625 posts
29 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

I thought both those you mentioned were going to be premiums.  Of course I have no idea why WG is making a T5 premium since they get bad MM and can't even be used in OPs.

Well... we assume they are premiums. Everything is tested as a premium. Much like how Early Access ships are 'essentially' premiums before being added properly, so too are any new ships added to the game for testing. And WGing has added premiums that became tree ships a few times before.

22 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The question is, should the line break off from Mahan ? Then you could go Bagley or Gridley and have one be a premium. The only curious thing was the Hill announcement which implies a far earlier split, possibly at tier V. In that case Mahan may be moved around.

Well as is the case with most nation's DD's, they could break off at Tier 2 and be relatively fine the entire way up with no paper ships. Most nations started building some variation on the Torpedo Boat Destroyer in the late 1800's and continued developing gun models well into the late 40's/early 50's. And paper ships are abounded (unneeded, but abound) so they can even fill 'samey' gaps with more interesting proposals/designs.

[SBS]
Members
4,571 posts
2,408 battles

I too have thought about these new DDs possibly being the start of a split.  Three US DD premiums in a short period probably wouldn't sell all that well.  Also, Benham and Somers don't have much AA (Somers only has short ranged AA).  US DDs with little AA is going to be a tough sell in the rework meta.  I'd love to see the Benham and Somers offered with two hull choices, the second being the late war AA refit.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,909 posts
12,228 battles

I don't think these releases support a likely split.

While they could be reused that way, so far splits have usually been revealed in waves like the Japanese destroyer rework. Showing off Benham, then Hill/Somers with tiers 6, 7 and 8 to come would seem odd.

Showing off Somers in her mostly historic, early war configuration also suggests premium rather than line to me, tree ships tend to have refits.

I think Benham and Somers represent simply WG's mob-handed way of responding to requests for high tier premium destroyers, by adding 2 more American ones to Black and Neustrashimy. Classic.

Sign in to follow this