You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mcgibe

My thoughts on the American premium aircraft carriers (and which one is the best in my opinion)

5 comments in this topic

[TASH]
Members
181 posts
4,489 battles

Ok. So first, a little bit of info on my experience

First, I bought a 20 pack of crates and got both saipan and enterprise. I also have the midway and have sunk a fair bit of games in all three +Lexi. I do not have graf zeppelin or kaga or any other nations carriers higher than tier 6. With that in mind, here are my thoughts

Out of all of the carriers I currently own, enterprise is my favourite. She is basically a flexington with AP bombs and an amazing fighter consumable. Seriously. She spawns 10 fighters (11 with direction center for catapult aircraft) in a 3.5km range which is insane! In comparison, the midway spawns about 7 or 8 fighters with the same patrol radius. If any squadron steps into these fighters, they will be shredded, so use them to protect your DD's and focused capital ships. Her torpedo bombers are about the same as Rexingtons and I found those torps fun to use when I was grinding midway. What really sells this ship for me is her AP bombers which are a lot like the old American AP bombers, in my experience, they are extremely effective against cruisers of all armor and German battleships, other nations battleships that I dropped were rarely citadeled and aircraft carriers were the same story. All of this coupled with the quick squadron refresh and fair rockets make her my favorite carrier so far

Saipan is a bit of a different story. While I don't think she is terrible, I definitely don't think she is easy to play as her refreshment time is extremely punishing for newer CV players. Her planes are individually amazing (as expected! They are t10 aircraft) but are limited by small squadron sizes and lower HP pools than her American counterparts due to the small squadron size. The armament on the saipan is awesome though. The fighters drop the same number of tiny Tim rockets as the Keckxington drops, the HE bombs are good and have a decent fire chance and finally, the torpedoes have great alpha damage, but are slow and have short range (a trait common with American air-dropped torpedoes). The kicker is the same as her rockets. You get 4 torpedoes per drop (2 a plane) and you can do large chunks of damage to ships if you line up all of your torpedoes correctly. Overall, saipan is much more difficult to use, but can be very rewarding if you play your cards right.

So why do choose the enterprise over the saipan? Well that brings me back to the biggest point of all.

MATCHMAKING!

Matchmaking for tier 8 carriers is probably the worst it will be right now and it doesn't show any sign of changing any time soon. The reason for this is that a tier 8 carrier has no problem dealing with tier 8 ships as of now, but as of late, matchmaking has been pretty atrocious for tier 8 carriers with many tier 10s and tier 9s in queue. One or  two tier 10s can be managed as you can be sure to give them a wide berth to avoid unnecessary losses. But more often than not, you will have games where the enemy team is filled to the brim with tier 10 AA. I have seen people feel so helpless that they immediately quit the battle when they see that they are the only tier 8s in the game. This is why I rate the enterprise as the easier ship to play because of the fact that its aircraft regeneration is so fast and saipan's is so very slow. If the meta was a bit different without constant uptiering for carriers, I would say it would be a harder choice. But the meta isn't changing and neither is carrier matchmaking.

As for kaga and graf zeppelin, I really can't comment on them since I didn't have the luck of getting one in a container and I don't think I want to sink any more money into the game. Still, that doesn't mean they are bad, I just don't have the experience to comment on them.

This is all just my opinion and observations. I don't really like spewing data numbers on a page so that's why I don't have data crammed in here.

Hope this helps!

• Cool 1

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
279 posts
4,773 battles

Kaga is by far my favorite T8 premium CV. Deep plane reserves mean you can launch maddening amounts of planes. She does suffer pretty hard in T10 aa matches but she can still put in work. Saipan is an absolute seal clubber if top tier but lack of planes can make it hard on weaker CV captains. Haven’t enjoyed GZ much. Enterprise is pretty good but I prefer HE bombs for the flexibility of them. Implacable was super fun. Can’t say the same for the Audacious. 

[TASH]
Members
181 posts
4,489 battles
2 minutes ago, Cakeman826 said:

Kaga is by far my favorite T8 premium CV. Deep plane reserves mean you can launch maddening amounts of planes. She does suffer pretty hard in T10 aa matches but she can still put in work. Saipan is an absolute seal clubber if top tier but lack of planes can make it hard on weaker CV captains. Haven’t enjoyed GZ much. Enterprise is pretty good but I prefer HE bombs for the flexibility of them. Implacable was super fun. Can’t say the same for the Audacious. 

I have heard that kaga is pretty good with its huge hangar reserves and large squadrons. 12 torpedo bombers a flight is nothing to sneeze at! I hope you are having fun with it! With enterprise, it just clicks with me. probably because I love blasting German battleships machine spaces out of their funnels and doing large amounts of damage to cruisers. Coupled with the quick refresh time of the enterprise's aircraft gives it a nice spot in my heart. Also, it's the big E and people may buy it just because of that.

I actually never really liked the British carriers because they just didn't appeal to me as much and I can't seem to make them work. I guess everyone has their ship and I'm ok with that.

• Cool 2

[-GPF-]
Members
770 posts
4,186 battles

Enterprise is my favorite, just got the hang of GZ last night as well. Very different play styles and I'm super happy to have them both. Might get Kaga... but not sure I should spend any more money at this point. :Smile_veryhappy:

[_-X-_]
[_-X-_]
Members
196 posts
7,052 battles

I managed to get all 4 CVs in a minimal amount of crates (lucky me? :fish_haloween:).  And, I have not been so inclined to play CVs until this wild series of drops.  Playing all 4 in the training room to get my bearings, it was the Enterprise that stood out and was the most comfortable to play as a beginner.  I have now recently started to test CooP waters with the E.  Still, CV play in my situation, feels quite sloppy and lacking in minimal precision compared to being a DD/Cruiser main.  So in my particular case, I would suggest the Enterprise for being a reasonable introduction to CVs, especially, if coming from the other mains categories.  Of course, imo.