Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xTrowax

Think DDs have too much hp

29 comments in this topic

[SCREW]
Members
221 posts
12,211 battles

Isn't it just a little much when a kitakaze can stroll up to a Montana, sit broadside, take the majority of 12 he shells at close range, survive it (because reasons) and proceed to not only kill the bb with torps, but survive an air strike a few seconds later? I mean, what the actual [edited]? I get that DDs are the counter to bbs, but that doesn't make sense that I'm simply not allowed to kill it before it kills me, especially that close. So either DDs have too much hp, non damage pens need to be gone, or bb accuracy needs to be improved so all 12 shells hit at close range. 

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 4

[GT99]
Members
613 posts
8,654 battles
9 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

Isn't it just a little much when a kitakaze can stroll up to a Montana, sit broadside, take the majority of 12 he shells at close range, survive it (because reasons) and proceed to not only kill the bb with torps, but survive an air strike a few seconds later? I mean, what the actual [edited]? I get that DDs are the counter to bbs, but that doesn't make sense that I'm simply not allowed to kill it before it kills me, especially that close. So either DDs have too much hp, non damage pens need to be gone, or bb accuracy needs to be improved so all 12 shells hit at close range. 

No, that little bastyerd is just hard to kill, that one and its bigger brother. I can beat the brakes off of them with a Cleveland and they laugh at me lol.

Members
1,412 posts
8,793 battles
23 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

I get that DDs are the counter to bbs, but that doesn't make sense that I'm simply not allowed to kill it before it kills me

You seem to have rather handily refuted your own argument here.

• Cool 4

[WOLFB]
Members
2,861 posts
11,767 battles

Montana accuracy at mid - close range is fine. If you can't make a good prediction it's not that the DD is OP but your lack of experience.

My guess is that damage saturation just negate HE damage. if you hit all your shell at the nose that has been saturated since the beginning, you won't do any damage.

Edited by AlcatrazNC

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

Want to share the replay with us? Was it full health?  How much damage did you actually do to it ( i assume you were the Montana?)

[H_]
Members
2,411 posts
46 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

OP, please do not confuse reality with an arcade shooter.  Reality and Physics have been suspended indefinitely........  I did a similar thing in my Yammy today and if nine, 18" AP rounds can't destroy a light cruiser at 9K, broadside to you and you get 7 over pens and he sails away................ah, geeze!

It's taken a while to get use to the silliness this game generates sometimes.....  Hang in there, it will only get a lot crazier in the very near future !  Wait till the Golden Bullet/Torpedo/Proximity rounds come out !!!!  Just imagine longer range lock on torpedoes !!!  Just joking................DD's get creamed pretty darn quick by Carriers though......

Edited by Asym_KS

[SYN]
Members
7,436 posts
12,648 battles

Kinda sounds like you failed to kill a ship that you should have been able to kill... where was your team?

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Members
8,372 posts
8,991 battles
17 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Kinda sounds like you failed to kill a ship that you should have been able to kill... where was your team?

This. Also, Monty is super accurate. If you aren't killing everything at close range, the issue isn't the ship you're trying to kill.

• Cool 1

Members
996 posts
5,461 battles
1 hour ago, Asym_KS said:

OP, please do not confuse reality with an arcade shooter.  Reality and Physics have been suspended indefinitely........  I did a similar thing in my Yammy today and if nine, 18" AP rounds can't destroy a light cruiser at 9K, broadside to you and you get 7 over pens and he sails away................ah, geeze!

It's taken a while to get use to the silliness this game generates sometimes.....  Hang in there, it will only get a lot crazier in the very near future !  Wait till the Golden Bullet/Torpedo/Proximity rounds come out !!!!  Just imagine longer range lock on torpedoes !!!  Just joking................DD's get creamed pretty darn quick by Carriers though......

And it goes both ways... nothing like making that white knuckled zerg rush to torp the yammie only to land 8-10 and have it sail away with 30% health and healing... yammie bulges are fierce. So is rng.

Edited by Xanshin

[RM-I]
[RM-I]
Members
864 posts
7,411 battles

It’s better to shoot AP at the kita and maneuver accordingly for a possible 12 torps (depending on if he has the consumable ready for quick tiro reload).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,904 posts
12,193 battles

Kitakaze - average damage: 50,296

Montana - HP before repair: 96,300

Heaven help battleships with the scary destroyers!

• Funny 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,546 posts
10,669 battles

Hmmmm funny I shot a Kit tonight at 7km with the montana he lost like 10k life and blew up rather nicely. I think the bigger underlying issue here is not that you were unable to nuke the dd effectively. Its the fact your team did not scout it, you rushed an area, or didnt bother to turn in and drop speed once you shot at the dd.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,994 posts

As someone who doesn't care for DDs in matches - just no.  DDs are hard enough to play with the HP pool they have now.  Next you'll want them to have citadels....

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,839 posts
4,048 battles

Been a while since I've seen one of these threads!?!     

-Members-
1,640 posts
767 battles
10 hours ago, xTrowax said:

Hey xTrowax,

So a few questions to begin with:

1. How far away was the Kitakaze from you?
  2. How many HE shells did you hit the Kitakaze with? Did they all do damage or did some incapacitate modules?
  3. You say the DD killed you with torps, were you sailing broadside to the DDs last know position?
  4. Do you have a screenshot of the after action report showing the damage you did to the DD?

You clearly stated you know that DDs are the counter to BBs, so with that in mind don't you think the DD did the right thing? As a player that mainly plays BBs there are a few steps that you can take to ensure you don't get deleted by torpedoes or take massive damage from them.

• Always be maneuvering and varying your speed so the DD has to predict more movements when firing torpedoes.
  • If you know the DD is there and it is spotted, assume torpedoes are in the water or will be soon. With that in mind, stop sailing on your intended course and either turn or out while cutting speed. You might not avoid all the torpedoes but it is better than taking them all on your broadside.
  • Also know that when you shoot HE at a DD that you have a chance to destroy/incapacitate modules without actually doing any damage. This is one of the main reasons I still shoot AP at DDs, guaranteed damage. I am not saying there isn't times where switching to HE isn't the right move like the end of a game of you are charging at a DD in smoke but for the most part I take the damage. 

With these tips in mind, I hope they help! 

• Cool 1

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
45 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I was hoping this was a troll thread.

It is.

OP thinks the proper amount of DD HP is whatever it needs to be so it will be low enough that he can one shot kill it so no matter how badly he played in order for the DD to be able to sneak up on him he can still come out on top.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
5,962 posts
3,829 battles
4 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

It is.

OP thinks the proper amount of DD HP is whatever it needs to be so it will be low enough that he can one shot kill it so no matter how badly he played in order for the DD to be able to sneak up on him he can still come out on top.

I meant a non-serious troll thread.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

I meant a non-serious troll thread.

Ah...gotcha...yeah it's not one of those troll threads lol.  :Smile_great:

[H_]
Members
2,411 posts
9 hours ago, Xanshin said:

And it goes both ways... nothing like making that white knuckled zerg rush to torp the yammie only to land 8-10 and have it sail away with 30% health and healing... yammie bulges are fierce. So is rng.

Or, even survive the secondary build I use !  A great many DD's have tried that and at what, 11.2 KM, they are receiving a lot of small caliber secondary hits.   And, as @iKami said above, never a predictable route......  So yes, I am a DD main and every once in a while I get the opportunity to "bite at the bulls legs" and sometimes, you get the hoof and sometimes you draw blood.........  In either case, it sure is fun to try.   Although, it is happening far, far less now that Radar and Aircraft have significantly neutered Destroyer play..........  I haven't seem that in months now....  Alas, we have significantly ruined a lot of fun we use to have (sigh....)

• Cool 1

Members
996 posts
5,461 battles
13 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Or, even survive the secondary build I use !  A great many DD's have tried that and at what, 11.2 KM, they are receiving a lot of small caliber secondary hits.   And, as @iKami said above, never a predictable route......  So yes, I am a DD main and every once in a while I get the opportunity to "bite at the bulls legs" and sometimes, you get the hoof and sometimes you draw blood.........  In either case, it sure is fun to try.   Although, it is happening far, far less now that Radar and Aircraft have significantly neutered Destroyer play..........  I haven't seem that in months now....  Alas, we have significantly ruined a lot of fun we use to have (sigh....)

I can work with radar... i cant work with planes made of a nigh invulnerable adamantium mithril alloy that fly 180kts+ and chunk dds for 10k per pass... mino is the new dd for me.

Edit: and i love my secondary kurfurst... if not for the health sandblaster then for the torp/engine disable messages every few seconds...

Edited by Xanshin
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this