You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FineousFingers

Sighting change idea

12 comments in this topic

[55UP]
Members
180 posts
1,449 battles

I’ve only been playing this game for about 5 months, and only started following forums recently, so this may have been suggested long ago and dismissed as unworkable. I haven’t put too much thought into what effect this would have on balance. 

Change sighting so that in order to be able to see an opposing ship/squadron, you have to actually be in range to see it. No having forward units do your spotting for you. Instead, if an allied ship/squadron can see a unit, it appears on the mini maps of your allies. You know that it’s there, but not precisely enough to use targeted fire. 

I would apply this to hydro acoustic search and radar as well. 

This would simulate that one ship can see another and tell their allies where it is, but not precisely enough to target. 

This would hopefully take some heat off destroyers where carrier planes are concerned. I’m a CV main, and I often feel bad for hanging a squadron over a DD until my teammates delete it. But I do it anyway. 

What balance issues do you all see with this idea?

• Cool 1

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts
3 minutes ago, FineousFingers said:

I’ve only been playing this game for about 5 months, and only started following forums recently, so this may have been suggested long ago and dismissed as unworkable. I haven’t put too much thought into what effect this would have on balance. 

Change sighting so that in order to be able to see an opposing ship/squadron, you have to actually be in range to see it. No having forward units do your spotting for you. Instead, if an allied ship/squadron can see a unit, it appears on the mini maps of your allies. You know that it’s there, but not precisely enough to use targeted fire. 

This would simulate that one ship can see another and tell their allies where it is, but not precisely enough to target. 

This would hopefully take some heat off destroyers where carrier planes are concerned. I’m a CV main, and I often feel bad for hanging a squadron over a DD until my teammates delete it. But I do it anyway. 

In range and in line of sight to benefit from the sight.  I also would suggest that only fighter planes and not the actual attack planes from CVs be able to spot.  This would work like radar and give ships to move out of the search radius of the fighters.

• Boring 1

[55UP]
Members
180 posts
1,449 battles
Just now, JonnyFreedom said:

In range and in line of sight to benefit from the sight.  I also would suggest that only fighter planes and not the actual attack planes from CVs be able to spot.  This would work like radar and give ships to move out of the search radius of the fighters.

I think I’d actually swap it. Attack planes can spot, but not fighters. Because the attack planes are directly controlled by the player rather than just dropped as a consumable. Although I think I’d allow the spotter plane consumable to spot, since that’s its only job. 

And by “spotted”, I assume causing ships and planes to appear on the mini map.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,363 posts
11,875 battles

I would love it if only the ships that can actually see another ship could but most people would hate it.

Alpha Tester
1,734 posts
2,514 battles

What about DELAYED positioning for out-of-range ships?

You get an update on where the ship was x seconds ago, every y seconds.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,594 posts
10,729 battles
47 minutes ago, FineousFingers said:

as a whole this would not work. And what you suggest already exist its called cyclone.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

I like it.  It would basically be like spotting range and radio range in WOT.  It would make the game less campy

[55UP]
Members
180 posts
1,449 battles
33 minutes ago, The_Chiv said:

as a whole this would not work. And what you suggest already exist its called cyclone.

If it already exists as cyclone, why wouldn’t it work?

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,594 posts
10,729 battles
7 minutes ago, FineousFingers said:

If it already exists as cyclone, why wouldn’t it work?

as a limited effect, it works as a whole it would be extremely boring. the game would be even more standoffish as the only class that can avoid this as a whole is cv's. So literally the first half the game is cv's attacking getting all their planes nuked and then having nothing for end game as the surface fleet could not suppress aa guns with HE fire. Then you have the fact that most play standoffish trying to max range fire everywhere they can and would not be close enough to support capping or dds trying to cap. It would amplify the already toxic state of the meta to a new degree and would solve nothing.

Members
182 posts
13,699 battles

I love it; but I’d have all planes show ships on mini map only, even spotter for your own ship. It can extend range and raise the view, sure, but not render spotted ships. 

We can barely use real-time remote telemetry NOW, and no way was it realistic for the first half of the century. I know this isn’t a sim BUT I don’t care, this has always bothered me.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
897 posts
8,438 battles
On 4/22/2019 at 7:57 PM, FineousFingers said:

This would hopefully take some heat off destroyers

It may as well. They wouldn't be any use as a spotter anymore. 

[55UP]
Members
180 posts
1,449 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

It may as well. They wouldn't be any use as a spotter anymore. 

Not true. Anything they spot will appear on the team’s mini maps. 

The current system is incredibly unrealistic. I should not be able to reliably target a moving ship that I can’t personally see.