Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GambitHG

Unique Upgrade or 10-Point Captains?

21 comments in this topic

Members
253 posts
7,458 battles

Okay, I have 605 Ironium and I'm debating whether to spend 600 on a Unique upgrade or 4 10pt captains before it all goes away Wednesday.

For the ships I have, I've been grinding upgrades for my TierXs on and off for the past year. I have Yamato (Stage 3), Des Moines, YueYang, and Worcester (all stage 2). I'll have Daring, Gearing, and Montana later this year. I don't mind the current grinds,  but I'm wondering which of the Gearing or Montana UUs would you recommend?

Alternatively, 10pt Captains are a good investment, and I was going to get Golden Konung, Dart Norman, Queen Bee, and either LilfishOG or the Dophinator. I still have a bunch of Japanese DDs to get and I'm out of spare UK captains and I'll need a French captain to grind up their new DD line when it comes out. Would I be stupid in prioritizing 10pCs over UUs?

[WOLF2]
Members
236 posts
6,168 battles

I blew all my Ironium today on the Des Moines Legendary Upgrade, installed it and went out and had the most fun I'd ever had in that ship. If I were you I'd grab the Des Moines upgrade, it's absolutely wild the effect it has on your acceleration, especially with Propulsion Mod 2 in tandem with it. 

• Cool 5

[SYN]
Members
590 posts
3,274 battles
38 minutes ago, GambitHG said:

Okay, I have 605 Ironium and I'm debating whether to spend 600 on a Unique upgrade or 4 10pt captains before it all goes away Wednesday.

For the ships I have, I've been grinding upgrades for my TierXs on and off for the past year. I have Yamato (Stage 3), Des Moines, YueYang, and Worcester (all stage 2). I'll have Daring, Gearing, and Montana later this year. I don't mind the current grinds,  but I'm wondering which of the Gearing or Montana UUs would you recommend?

Alternatively, 10pt Captains are a good investment, and I was going to get Golden Konung, Dart Norman, Queen Bee, and either LilfishOG or the Dophinator. I still have a bunch of Japanese DDs to get and I'm out of spare UK captains and I'll need a French captain to grind up their new DD line when it comes out. Would I be stupid in prioritizing 10pCs over UUs?

Get one of the legendary mods, it is very worth it since you can avoid the rest of the grind for one of them. I am not sure, but I think you can sell the mod you will earn from the grind. With captains, you can get them anytime and it is not that hard to grind a ten point captain

Edited by Leopard_IX
  • Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,256 posts
19,624 battles

It doesn't take too long to grind out a 10pt captain.  However, it takes pretty d*mn long time to grind out one of the Tier X Legendary upgrades.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles

i got the yamato legendary cause its apparently a requirement to have it.  I dont know if ill get to the yamato, just got the amagi recently  but at least ill have it. i was thinking of getting a legendary for a ship i dont like or play to see if it changes its play style  but gave up on that.

also think unless the captains have a special perk its a waste  .  Its like 183k xp to get a 10pt captain. put some flags on and play space battles and you ll have that in 6-12 games that take 5 or so minutes recruit to captains and boost them up = profit

was able to take 4 captains from 10 to 14 points doing it that way and that was 396k xp each one. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[SPTR]
Members
26,755 posts
13,512 battles

Get a Legendary Upgrade, you can easily train up a 10 pt captain on the go than grinding for a legendary upgrade

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,876 posts
9,528 battles

You don't say if already got 19-point captains already. That should be a factor in your decision.

-Members-
1,640 posts
814 battles
1 hour ago, GambitHG said:

Hey GambitHG,

This is honestly personal preference. Do you want the captains that have unique pictures or the unique upgrades that will help your ship perform better? 

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
[_RNG_]
Members
137 posts
5,459 battles
2 minutes ago, iKami said:

or the unique upgrades that will help your ship perform better? 

Well that sentence is certainly situational and open to a wide range of opinions 

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
15,744 posts
10,429 battles
1 hour ago, GambitHG said:

Depends on how quick you want the Unique Upgrade. You will get it just playing the ship, even in co-op. So if you want the UU fast, buy it. If you don't have a 19pt Cmdr for ECXP, four 10pt Cmdrs can be worth it if you need them.

I wouldn't get the UUs that you are already grinding as since you are a PvP main, it's not too hard. The part everyone hates is the 40,000 base XP, but you are looking at 33-66 games to get through that final task.

Daring doesn't have a UU yet, but here's the math done for Gearing and Montana, so you can see what the various upgrades in slot 5 do for those ships.

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles
5 minutes ago, contag10n said:

Well that sentence is certainly situational and open to a wide range of opinions 

what you did there..... ....... ......

lol

• Cool 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,730 posts
7,029 battles
41 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

Its like 183k xp to get a 10pt captain. put some flags on and play space battles and you ll have that in 6-12 games that take 5 or so minutes recruit to captains and boost them up = profit

You can't put normal captains on space ships. 

[KRON]
[KRON]
Members
93 posts
2,966 battles
15 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I think the reference is how quickly you might get the Elite Commander Exp.

[PVE]
Members
647 posts
6,510 battles

I'll be going for Capts personally, I don't have any 19pts yet, I am close to the first but any elite xp will be going to making more 19pts before anything else. 

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It doesn't take too long to grind out a 10pt captain.  However, it takes pretty d*mn long to grind out one of the Tier X Legendary upgrades.

Yep

[-BRS-]
Members
30 posts
3,737 battles

UU -

Their are many chances to get a 10pt commander which is not the case with a UU.  I also would pick one you'd like but don't want to grind and continue grinding the usual way for those.  

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles
4 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

3 hours ago, jayhawk226 said:

I think the reference is how quickly you might get the Elite Commander Exp.

only faster way I know of is a certain two operations, which will take longer but use less flags. 

Members
253 posts
7,458 battles

I just realized, if I hold on to the Ironium, I'll get 9.68 million credits when it gets transferred. I could put that towards my next tier 10 ship or purchasing regular upgrades.

Members
2,620 posts
9,815 battles
On 4/22/2019 at 3:54 PM, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

i got the yamato legendary cause its apparently a requirement to have it.

It’s not a requirement to have it, it’s a personal preference.  I have one, and used it for many battles, I prefer not to use it.  You trade 6% reload speed, which is flat DPM increase, for RNG roll that occasionally will let you get an extra hit or two.  Traverse buff is less consequential, but still a nice bonus when you choose to not to use legendary module.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,711 posts
15,432 battles
On 4/22/2019 at 3:46 PM, GambitHG said:

I had the same number of ironium and I'm tempted to say "neither"?

Sign in to follow this