You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Is furry taco a ship?

16 comments in this topic

[BOTO]
Members
593 posts
10,910 battles

Just now, JEFFREY_LEI said:

If it’s a ship, what’s the real name?

Furutaka.

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
Members
5,136 posts
4,927 battles

You mean the IJN Furutaka? Yes, she was a real ship... unless I'm mistaken, lol.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles

Furutaka in 1926.

Japanese_cruiser_Furutaka.jpg

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

We call her the Furry Taco out of love, but the Furutaka is, indeed, a ship. She mounted 6×1 20cm guns and was later upgraded to 3×2 20.3cm guns.

[O_O]
Members
5,325 posts
12,239 battles
1 minute ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Is it good?

Furry taco?  I happen to LOVE it!  But, if it isn't your thing...that's okay, too.

Wait, what are we talking about, again?

• Funny 3

Members
123 posts
448 battles
Just now, desmo_2 said:

Furry taco?  I happen to LOVE it!  But, if it isn't your thing...that's okay, too.

Ships. If you want to talk about real tacos, I was wondering that are real tacos good? Never ate them.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,047 posts
11 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

It's the dangerous man eating snapping furry taco's that are the ones to avoid.

I have heard stories they can swallow a whole raw schnitzel in one gulp and while being thrown at them from a 10 foot pole.

Edited by DESRON10

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,163 posts
2,993 battles
11 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Is it good?

Leaving the double entendres aside, Furutaka is one of, if not the, best tech tree Tier V cruisers.  It was, until the recent addition of the premium Exeter, the only Tier V cruiser with 203mm guns, guns which while they turn slow and reload slow do horrible, brutal things to all of the other Tier V cruisers and can even citadel battleships such as the New York (I've done it from about 8km).  Her torpedo arcs are much better than most other Japanese cruisers as well.  Most importantly, she has actual armor, not enough to do any broadsiding nonsense, but enough to bounce 14" BB AP off of her sides if she is angle and enough on the deck to shatter almost all cruiser HE she'll face (I think the Tier VII German CA will penetrate due to the German 1/4 ratio).

[M_S]
Members
368 posts
3,887 battles
4 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

Leaving the double entendres aside, Furutaka is one of, if not the, best tech tree Tier V cruisers.  It was, until the recent addition of the premium Exeter, the only Tier V cruiser with 203mm guns, guns which while they turn slow and reload slow do horrible, brutal things to all of the other Tier V cruisers and can even citadel battleships such as the New York (I've done it from about 8km).  Her torpedo arcs are much better than most other Japanese cruisers as well.  Most importantly, she has actual armor, not enough to do any broadsiding nonsense, but enough to bounce 14" BB AP off of her sides if she is angle and enough on the deck to shatter almost all cruiser HE she'll face (I think the Tier VII German CA will penetrate due to the German 1/4 ratio).

Exeter is not a tech-tree ship, and in no way is it as good as the Furutaka. In fact, it is worse in pretty much every aspect.

But yes, furry AP makes for some weird things.

Edited by tyinnow

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,163 posts
2,993 battles
3 minutes ago, tyinnow said:

Exeter is not a tech-tree ship, and in no way is it as good as the Furutaka. In fact, it is worse in pretty much every aspect.

But yes, furry AP makes for some weird things.

Did not mean to imply that Exeter was a tech tree ship, I explicitly stated otherwise in fact, or anything about it other than it is Tier V and has 203mm guns thus making the old, easy "Furutaka is the only Tier V cruiser with 203mm guns" statement no longer valid.

And yes, the whole armor speil I gave does not, in any way, apply to the Exeter.

Edited by Helstrem
  • Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
26,753 posts
13,512 battles

Furu-chan can lolpen the fore and aft ends of other tier 5 cruisers and below.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

Tier V has a lot of Cruisers being played there.

Next, consider the armor values of those Cruisers you see out there, especially the likes of Omaha, Emerald, etc.

Then check the AP Overmatch table below and remember Furutaka has 200mm and upgrades into 203mm guns.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Armor_thresholds

Her armor is also pretty good for a Tier V Cruiser especially considering her peers here.

As an IJN Cruiser, she's been here since Launch and has always had at least a decent reputation.  But at Launch, Omaha was "OPmaha" with AFT & BFT buffing 155mm and smaller guns, Furutaka's value was less than the AFT / BFT buffed CLs.  Hell, in those days, Konigsberg reached out to 19.1km fully upgraded and AFT boosting the range.  When WG nerfed that to 139mm or smaller guns, Omaha became garbage, Konigsberg lost her super long range, but Furutaka just kept on modestly soldiering on.  She's been forgotten about with all the new ship lines, premiums, etc.  But it doesn't change the fact that she is a very sound overall Cruiser package in Tier V, a tier where people like to pick on the Cruisers there.

With her having 8" guns, even later tiers of Cruisers must respect her, or risk getting Citadeled badly.

Anyways, even way back in 2015 when I first joined in Open Beta, she already had her nickname "Furry Taco."  The fact that she is so low key in terms of ship recommendations despite her value and prowess, it's a fascinating thing.  Even among IJN Cruiser players, all the attention is lavished on the likes of Myoko, Mogami, Atago, Zao.  Yet even they forget about Furutaka in Tier V.

When Tier V Sprint was going on, it was not a pleasant place for Cruisers.  It was DD / BB / Caesar country.  Furutaka was one of the few Cruisers to do well in V Ranked Sprint.  Most the other Cruisers were getting easily deleted.

And here's an old Eurobeat Furry Taco video!

mRV87JX.jpg

A Flamu video for the ship from 2018.

Sorry, last edit!  I want to add the changes not too long ago that WG buffed all 203mm armed IJN CAs to get "Zao Dispersion."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
1,802 posts
1,267 battles
1 hour ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Is it good?

She has the biggest guns of all the tier 5 tech tree cruisers, the most armor of tier 5 cruisers (not that that's really saying much), good torps with good firing arcs, and decent mobility.  Objectively speaking, shes the strongest tier 5 tech tree cruiser.  That being said, I personally just didn't enjoy playing her.