You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Fishrokk

The Aircraft Vision Problem

16 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
5,298 battles

What if they only spotted in a 90 degree cone in front of the aircraft?  Or even just the forward 180 degrees?  As soon as you turn your tail or overfly that DD during your attack run, if no one else is spotting him, he's gone.

Would that work?

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

Do you work for WG?  Either is fine and better than what we have now.  Please make it happen asap boss

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF5]
Members
817 posts
9,071 battles
7 minutes ago, Fishrokk said:

What if they only spotted in a 90 degree cone in front of the aircraft?  Or even just the forward 180 degrees?  As soon as you turn your tail or overfly that DD during your attack run, if no one else is spotting him, he's gone.

Would that work?

dd should  still have detection penalty,as long as AA is being used .....

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
5,298 battles
7 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

Do you work for WG?

No, but I would.

1 minute ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

dd should  still have detection penalty,as long as AA is being used

That's an excellent refinement!  If the DD a surface ship is pumping out AA at your planes, only then can your plane see it from any angle.  Might be a touch difficult to code, but would be a worthwhile inclusion.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles

Unless something else is spotting for the planes DD's are nearly invisible if their AA is off. What more do you need?

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
5,298 battles
12 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Unless something else is spotting for the planes DD's are nearly invisible if their AA is off. What more do you need?

Me personally, nothing - I play every ship type in the game.  It benefits me most to have all the ships at least roughly balanced.  But I watch a lot of YouTube vids, and Zoup has had a couple of really good points recently.

I think it benefits the game if a DD can operate with little or no support without it being either a death sentence (although this is not my experience on either end of the CV/DD engagement), or permanently lit up for the entire red team to shoot at.

This change wouldn't completely allow the DD to go unspotted all the time out on that flank, but would allow it to take advantage of periodically going dark (more so than now) to try to get a better position.

If this goes through, I'd also like to see a bit of a nerf to DD detection range from the air.  I don't like that I can't spot one until I've passed the point where I could start a viable attack run.  I'm not saying there should be a huge margin, but if everything is lined up right, why shouldn't the CV be able to make that attack if the player can react quickly?  Nobody gets inside a surface ship's torpedo arming radius without detection.*

*Edit: At least until subs enter the game...

:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles

If this was a flight sim limits on rear view varying by plane should apply but this is far from a flight sim.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
5,298 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

If this was a flight sim limits on rear view varying by plane should apply but this is far from a flight sim.

I agree, should be same limit for all planes.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
942 posts
14,325 battles

Not a bad idea, imo. I am all for further tweaks to the system. Made a post hoping for conversation and more ideas about what might be done, the other day. But it was pushed a couple pages back without any significant engagement. I think what we have is showing signs of improvement. But I think some out of the box ideas might be needed to make people playing all types of ships feel like things are in a good place.

Thanks for bringing the idea out for discussion, brother.

Respects,

Am

[ARS]
Beta Testers
3,163 posts
2,993 battles
45 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Well, that depends on the plane.  In a Spitfire, for example, you can turn left and look back enough to see your right tail plane.  Where the Spitfire was blind was forward down due to the long nose and, as on almost all WWII fighters, the low mounted wings under the cockpit created large blind spots to both sides.

Complications are the fact that we're not dealing with a single fighter, but rather with whole squadrons and what Jiro can't see maybe Saburo can.  The other complication is multi-crew aircraft such at the TBF/TBM where the pilot can't see behind and below the plane, but the bottom gunner sure can.

Members
201 posts
3,193 battles

"I want to make surface ships immune to CV attacks"

Your suggestion is exactly what it will do.

[NH]
Members
761 posts

I feel like this is one of those things people are looking to fix because they run full speed into the cap at the start of the map and get spotted. Solution: stop doing that. Its predicable. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
2 hours ago, Fishrokk said:

Would that work?

You play carrier? If you did you'd know  dds are literally invisible until (in some cases) you are 2.5km or closer to them in surface distance. Does that make SENSE to you or anyone else? Doesn't make sense to me, especially as calm as the waters in this game are... clearly you'd see evidence of them in the water let alone the SMOKE from their funnels. 

For all intents and purposes, "usually" if you overfly a DD he disappears. How about we propose the same thing for all surface ships? 

In fact, I'd like a rule that says randomly, every 30 seconds, a rescue flare is automatically launched from every ship more than 17km behind the line of battle. I think we need this implemented by next to next patch. 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
5,298 battles
2 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

You play carrier? If you did you'd know  dds are literally invisible until (in some cases) you are 2.5km or closer to them in surface distance. Does that make SENSE to you or anyone else? Doesn't make sense to me, especially as calm as the waters in this game are... clearly you'd see evidence of them in the water let alone the SMOKE from their funnels.

Yes, I do, and yes, that's the experience I have.  Which is why I also said this:

If this goes through, I'd also like to see a bit of a nerf to DD detection range from the air.  I don't like that I can't spot one until I've passed the point where I could start a viable attack run.  I'm not saying there should be a huge margin, but if everything is lined up right, why shouldn't the CV be able to make that attack if the player can react quickly?  Nobody gets inside a surface ship's torpedo arming radius without detection.

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
5,298 battles
57 minutes ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

I feel like this is one of those things people are looking to fix because they run full speed into the cap at the start of the map and get spotted.

Huh.  That's strange.

I kinda feel like this is one of those things where people (not just you) read into what I wrote so they can say what they want to say as if it were a response, instead of reading what I've written and discussing that.

But what can you do?  No reason to get bunched up over it.

For the record, I was (mostly) cured of charging full speed into a cap with my DD at the start of a match in a game without any CV's in it. 

Not that I never do it anymore, but it's a very situational tactic for me these days. 

Five DD's per side?  You have fun with that, I'll be watching from at least a short distance for at least the first couple minutes. 

Two per side, and I've got the lower surface detection?  Maybe.  Last example, add division-mates?  Probably. 

I'm brain-dead and not thinking about what I'm doing?  Sometimes.  Hey, I screw up.  I'm not too proud to admit it.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

Yes, I do, and yes, that's the experience I have.  Which is why I also said this:

That's another NERF not a buff... I think if you'd said a buff to the aircraft detection range it'd have been clearer. :cat_bubble: