You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KurganSPK

Why is it so much more expensive to buy a ship via converting free xp?

24 comments in this topic

[-UCS-]
Beta Testers
884 posts
9,385 battles

I've been away from the game for quite some time, so probably a silly Q, but: Seems really odd that if I want to convert the free xp from my huge reserves to buy a ship like Alaska it costs at least twice as much than simply buying the ship outright... shouldn't it be the other way around? Reward players for actually playing and using their stockpiles of XP to cut down on the cost of a new ship versus just breaking out the CC. Probably something obvious I'm missing, but like I said, been away quite a while. Thanks.

• Cool 3

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

The Doubloon to FXP and Credit conversion rates have always been trash. This is nothing new as far as I know, and I'm not surprised that it costs more to convert 1 million FXP than it is to buy Azuma outright.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

To make money off people's impatience.  While WG will not ever show us the numbers, it wouldn't surprise me if they make some good coin off ShipXP -> FreeXP conversions.  This was so in 2015 when the game was new, before there ever was such a thing as FreeXP Ships, Missouri was the first, which came quite a bit later.

I've done this conversion when I was newer to the game, trying to speed up line grinding progress when I didn't have the FreeXP pile like I do now.  For a still somewhat new player that has tons of ShipXP sitting around but no FreeXP in significant amount, I imagine the temptation is real.

[-TKS-]
Members
630 posts
9,728 battles

Maybe because they want you to buy the ships with cash so they can make some profit on it. have no issue with it myself as fxp was never a problem with premium time and dont use fxp on anything but the free ships.  gives a chance to those player that dont or cant put the time in a chance at them. Wish they did it with the Missouri  , it was the only time i did the xp ->fxp conversion.  now sitting on Millions of ship xp dont see how they will ever be used. 

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,690 battles
8 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

I've been away from the game for quite some time, so probably a silly Q, but: Seems really odd that if I want to convert the free xp from my huge reserves to buy a ship like Alaska it costs at least twice as much than simply buying the ship outright... shouldn't it be the other way around? Reward players for actually playing and using their stockpiles of XP to cut down on the cost of a new ship versus just breaking out the CC. Probably something obvious I'm missing, but like I said, been away quite a while. Thanks.

I think their thinking is that people will have some portion of the FXP already saved up, and won't have to convert all of the FXP from elite XP.

[-UCS-]
Beta Testers
884 posts
9,385 battles

I"m sitting on 700K free xp and thought - oh that will make alaska cheap if i convert the rest... then I was like... :fish_book:

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles
5 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

I"m sitting on 700K free xp and thought - oh that will make alaska cheap if i convert the rest... then I was like... :fish_book:

Grind it out.  PVP, Operations.  Keep opening the Resources Daily Containers because they drop FreeXP and Coal.  If you get lucky, you get a Coal x3 or FreeXP x3 (1500 FreeXP) drop.  If you got it, use the pertinent camo and signal flags to help out.  Anything and everything helps over time.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[-UCS-]
Beta Testers
884 posts
9,385 battles
4 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Grind it out.  PVP, Operations.  Keep opening the Resources Daily Containers because they drop FreeXP and Coal.  If you get lucky, you get a Coal x3 or FreeXP x3 (1500 FreeXP) drop.  If you got it, use the pertinent camo and signal flags to help out.  Anything and everything helps over time.

yeah thanks - gonna be patient this time and grind it out... got plenty of good ships for the task. And I'm rusty as hell... ;-)

[O7]
Members
1,185 posts
14,494 battles

The point is freexp is free to earn the ship so the cost could be 2 million and it would remain free for many. The conversion cost is irrelevant because as you said, buying it outright is cheaper so if it isnt going to be free just buy it from the shop.

[F3S]
[F3S]
Members
1,781 posts
3,577 battles

Converting worthless XP to Usable XP is insanely expensive.    We should petition for a name change of them to more accurately represent their utility. 

[SOFOP]
Members
1,252 posts
8,822 battles

It is likely so weird of a pricing model, to tempt those who just need to convert a little but to get to that next ship.  They probably never intended people to convert 1m FXP entirely for Alaska or whatever.  Int his case, WG might actually be doing some people a favor....offering it for cash less than conversion, to try and tell them "Hey, don't do it THAT way".  Add in ignorant people and whales...they probably make a decent living off it.  I'm shocked they allow the conversion and use of captain Xp for free.

[PHASE]
Members
4,754 posts
16,162 battles

Free xp is a secondary currency, its like a Rolex. Hard to come by, hard to get rid of but everyone will except it as currency on top of normal instituted currency.

[CUTE]
Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

Using free xp for those ships are mainly for people who have too much free xp. I had 2.5 million free xp when Azuma came put so I got it, even though it’s a pretty mediocre ship.

[AFW]
[AFW]
Members
290 posts
3,751 battles
3 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

Using free xp for those ships are mainly for people who have too much free xp. I had 2.5 million free xp when Azuma came put so I got it, even though it’s a pretty mediocre ship.

Love her armor though!  Fun as hell to blap. I get happy when one shows up in my sights! Produces great citadel ribbons!

[LOS]
Members
663 posts
10,112 battles
1 hour ago, KurganSPK said:

yeah thanks - gonna be patient this time and grind it out... got plenty of good ships for the task. And I'm rusty as hell... ;-)

Tell you what my Outlander brother, that Alaska is worth the grind!  U WILL LOVE IT!   oh and do you want porta johns while you are on a long WoWs grind?...well WG will sell you porta johns, they're called YOUR PANTS!!!!

Sorry (old SNL bit).

download.jpg

Edited by Sinton

[NMKJT]
Members
3,767 posts

Some people have large reserves of dubs, mine from 2017 Santa crates. This bleeds that a bit.

Others use Dragon flags. I have about 800 of the free xp flags in inventory and can make tons of fxp in operations.

I have 1.3m fxp at the moment without converting a thing.

The fxp option gives folks like me a ship without spending money.

Beta Testers
799 posts
4,584 battles

Because WG flooded the Free XP economy with flags that boost free XP so everyone has too much sitting around so gotta pump up the numbers

[-UCS-]
Beta Testers
884 posts
9,385 battles
12 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Some people have large reserves of dubs, mine from 2017 Santa crates. This bleeds that a bit.

Others use Dragon flags. I have about 800 of the free xp flags in inventory and can make tons of fxp in operations.

I have 1.3m fxp at the moment without converting a thing.

The fxp option gives folks like me a ship without spending money.

i understand this and that's not really not what the OP is about - the cost for converting is way out of whack is my main point. I love the fact you can earn the ships by grind free XP... 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
8,815 posts
12,548 battles

Yikes don't spend money converting XP! Just get it for free.

[HOT]
[HOT]
Members
461 posts
12,863 battles

Free xp is for researching ship lines with the new trend of also selling that free xp ship in the shop. Thats the way it should be honestly. This is why coal was invented. To let players earn ships but also let players that haven't researched all the ships in the tech tree use their free xp on researching ships.

They dont want you using cash money to rush down a ship line via free xp unless you are one of those people with crazy work schedule that has waaaaay more money then time. People should be happy you can either get the Alaska for free xp and no cash or for like 90 USD instead of 140 USD but some people are dumb and will complain about it. lol Newer players wont have the free xp and need a way to buy the Alaska. The new price is much more fair in USD then the newer players just being [edited] out because they are to new to the game. 

Edited by MackDye

[NMKJT]
Members
3,767 posts
40 minutes ago, KurganSPK said:

i understand this and that's not really not what the OP is about - the cost for converting is way out of whack is my main point. I love the fact you can earn the ships by grind free XP... 

I was offering counterpoint as to why the cost is out of whack. There are people with enormous reserves, and WG would like to drain them down so they spend money again

[NWS]
Members
139 posts
4,522 battles

I think the research price for each ship should be the full amount, not only half of it, what you have to research including all mods because its a bit overwhelming when you know you have enough for a ship and then you click on it for it tell you that its needing about 150 more. 

Edited by CrusaderQueen
updated info