Sign in to follow this  
Retnav54

Thoughts on Georgia in Co-op?

35 comments in this topic

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,152 posts
9,447 battles

Given the latest announced changes to Georgia, depending on what they want for her, I'm now wondering if it might be worth considering getting her after all. I initially outright dismissed her for the most obvious reason - only 6 guns - but the latest changes might make her at least interesting and something with a unique enough playstyle, to be worth dabbling with.

Basically, the changes boil down to - reduced reload time, Graf Spee-type dispersion, Massachusetts-like secondarys with 7.5 km base range and 4 second reload, Massachusetts-like heal with a 60/40 cooldown, and a 15% engine boost consumable.

That 15% engine boost caught my eye. Engine boost on a USN BB? And 15% at that. 33 knot base speed, with a 15% engine boost, and a 5% speed flag, the math works out to 39.84 knots.

A 40 knot Iowa, with 18 inch guns with 26 second reload and near-cruiser dispersion, and Massachusetts-like secondarys and heal. Okay, you've piqued my interest, this just moved from "no way" to "possibly".

Given that it's a Tier 9, my feeling is it'll be a fxp or coal ship. And given it'll be a premium, it won't be that painful playing it in co-op.

Any thoughts or impressions?

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
10,268 posts
4,370 battles

Yes.  I too initially dismissed the design.  But with the faster reload and the real actual nearly life-like performing secondaries, Georgia looks quite attractive.

I too would like to see it for FXP or Coal.  Or as part of an alternate USN BB line.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
9,332 posts
16,577 battles

I wanted it initially and want it even more now. I worry they will make it a steel ship though thus effectively barring me from it as they did with Bourgogne. I hope it is coal or FXP.

I wish they would let people know what currency these ships will go for when they announce them. They don't have to say how much just Georgia will be FXP or Georgia will be Steel. Just so we know and can either A) - start saving for it or B) realize we have no chance and not waste our time hoping.

I don't know why they treat the resource a ship will go for like a CIA secret.

• Cool 2

[WOLFA]
Members
175 posts
8,468 battles

I do not see the Georgia as being all that fun in Coop because even with the speed boost, all the T8 - T10 DDs on your team will already have launched torp salvos before you get your four forward facing guns loaded, aimed, and fired. So there is a high probability that your Georgia's Coop game damage totals will be lower than other BBs on your team.

Random play will be a completely different story though.

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles

Seems OP to me with the latest changes. Probably will be nerfed again before release. Woth only 6 guns I'm afraid she will be another Musashi... hugely expensive and can't hit a darn thing. In the unlikely event you do hit, it will overpen. 

An 18" equipped brawler *might* interest me. Will keep watching. 

[KSD]
Members
933 posts
6,116 battles

Well the question is how is it going to be sold?

I am done giving money to WG so any new ship i buy will be for coal,steel and free XP.

Not worth it anymore to spend money on this game

Members
688 posts
5,656 battles
27 minutes ago, BlueByYou said:

I do not see the Georgia as being all that fun in Coop because even with the speed boost, all the T8 - T10 DDs on your team will already have launched torp salvos before you get your four forward facing guns loaded, aimed, and fired.

What t8-10 dd loads and launches torps at a target in under 26 seconds?

[SVF]
Members
1,216 posts
1,704 battles
1 hour ago, Retnav54 said:

That 15% engine boost caught my eye. Engine boost on a USN BB? And 15% at that. 33 knot base speed, with a 15% engine boost, and a 5% speed flag, the math works out to 39.84 knots.

Imo, that makes it all too easy to overextend and die horribly if you aren't very careful.  Not a 100% upside consumable.

[PVE]
Members
9,332 posts
16,577 battles
52 minutes ago, BlueByYou said:

I do not see the Georgia as being all that fun in Coop because even with the speed boost, all the T8 - T10 DDs on your team will already have launched torp salvos before you get your four forward facing guns loaded, aimed, and fired. So there is a high probability that your Georgia's Coop game damage totals will be lower than other BBs on your team.

Random play will be a completely different story though.

WHAT??? It reloads in 26 seconds which is as fast or faster than the otherT9 BB's. The only thing that might hurt it is the 6 guns. As long as it is accurate and the player can aim (and RNG doesn't screw with them) it will be fine.

T9 BB Base Reload (no upgrades): 

1. Georgia - 26 sec (was only 30 sec initially before buff)
  2. Jean Bart - 26 sec
  3. FDG 406MM - 26 sec
  4. FDG 420MM - 29 sec
  5. Iowa - 30 sec
  6. Missouri - 30 sec
  7. Musashi - 30 sec
  8. Izumo - 30 sec
  9. Lion 406 MM - 30 sec
  10. Lion 419MM - 30 sec
  11. Alsace - 32 sec

[RLGN]
Members
11,258 posts
20,271 battles
1 hour ago, Gen_Saris said:

Seems OP to me with the latest changes. Probably will be nerfed again before release. Woth only 6 guns I'm afraid she will be another Musashi... hugely expensive and can't hit a darn thing. In the unlikely event you do hit, it will overpen. 

An 18" equipped brawler *might* interest me. Will keep watching. 

No problem whatsoever hitting things with Musashi, not constantly overpenning is another matter.

[PVE]
Members
9,332 posts
16,577 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

No problem whatsoever hitting things with Musashi, not constantly overpenning is another matter.

Yeah I mean it isn't super accurate but it isn't Kronshtadt or Roma bad. I don't have trouble hitting with it.

Members
1,933 posts
8,470 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yeah I mean it isn't super accurate but it isn't Kronshtadt or Roma bad. I don't have trouble hitting with it.

My Mus can't hit the broadside of a Yamato with any sort of regularity. I can get consistent good results in Roma if I aim to have shells land between the stacks and rear turret. 

[WOLFA]
Members
175 posts
8,468 battles
1 hour ago, The_Painted_Target said:

The ones already in or near the cap. Single or dual salvos are usually enough to sink Bot BB

[PVE]
Members
9,332 posts
16,577 battles
9 minutes ago, BlueByYou said:

The ones already in or near the cap. Single or dual salvos are usually enough to sink Bot BB

Huh? :Smile_amazed:

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
591 posts
16,691 battles
2 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

The ones with Torpedo Reload Boosters.

• Funny 1

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,152 posts
9,447 battles

The other wording in that dev blog post all but said they're trying to turn it into a brawler AKA Massachusetts. They reduced the max gun range to just under 20 km, in concert with the buffs to reload and the secondarys. They fessed up that a ship with only 6 guns wouldn't make a good long range sniper, and that even with semi-cruiser dispersion they weren't seeing the results they wanted at long ranges - so they're concentrating on making it a medium to close range ship. The Massachusetts doesn't have any problems hanging with Tier 10's - I've said on more than one occasion it's a Tier 10 in sheep's clothing - if the Georgia ends up being enough like the Massachusetts, specifically the secondarys and the heal, then it'll be worth getting.

To me, the Engine Boost will be a "Get the Hell Out of Dodge" card. 33 knots is more than fast enough to get yourself into trouble, 40 knots with Engine Boost will be for tactical retreats when things go south, or for screaming down an unguarded flank and taking all the caps, or scaring the hell out of carriers. It put an evil grin on my face, when I realized this is a BB that can outrun Midway torps....:Smile_trollface:

[WOLF9]
Members
3,943 posts
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Musashi is one of those ships, like Kron, that is horribly vulnerable to RNG trolling.   The only other BB's I've played with dispersion that bad are Mass, Bismarck and Tirpitz.   I agree, when RNG isn't %ucking with you, Musashi can be deadly.   Sadly, RNGesus either hates me, or LOVES to eff with me, lol.

You line up a perfect shot- BLAMMO!!!- and watch your shells spray in every direction like a handful of pebbles...  Anywhere BUT where you pointed them.   It's scream yourself hoarse whilst banging your head on the keyboard frustrating.    Thus, I rarely play mine.   The overpen issue doesn't help either, lol.  ( It DID inspire me to get my tail in gear and start grinding my Fuso- so I can eventually experience the UNnerfed version)

On topic, I'm beginning to come around to Georgia.  I, also, was totally nonplussed at the thought of a 6 gun high tier BB.    BUT, making it a secondary monster, AND giving it good accuracy sounds very fun to play in Co-op.    Like a Gascogne with 3 turrets and better armor, lol.   ( Gassy cracks me up with the sheer number of secondary hits, fires and secondary kills it accumulates!)

For BlueByYou:   To be fair, a match with a couple of very aggressive kill/damage hogs in DD's is annoying for other players in ANY high tier ship.   Georgia won't be unique in that regard...   I have matches in Montana or Des Moines, etc get ruined that way all the time.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,257 posts
19,624 battles

Georgia will be more than enough for PVE purposes.

She is going to be fast.  33kts like the Iowa-class, not the "slow" 27kts of Massachusetts.  Georgia is going to be faster than the fast sailing German & French BBs.  Maybe the French ones could keep up with Engine Boost going, but not without it since they're at about 30kts.  Georgia is also going to have Engine Boost, so she's going to be great in closing distance and start claiming damage and kills, being up there with the DDs.

Also, Co-op is 95% of the time a Brawl.  The only time we trade shots at long range is when the bots are too far away, but that doesn't last long as they come charging at us anyways.  This isn't going to be like PVP where Georgia's 6 guns WILL fail her in the High Tier Meta of long range combat.  457mm sounds sexy to smash ships until you realize that Zao, Henri, Yamato players at 18-19km don't give a f--k about Georgia's sh*tty 6 guns and sh*tty dispersion with 6 rifles failing her.  And your opponents are not obligated to sail towards you to fight.  Those Cruisers will be more than happy peppering Georgia at long range and having speed to keep away.  And Georgia's 1.8 Sigma and 6 rifles will be laughably bad against such players.  If Conqueror with 2.0 Sigma and USN / UK BB Dispersion fails with 8 rifles in Tier X, Georgia will fail with 6 rifles and 1.8 Sigma.

GUARANTEED.

But again.  We're talking Co-op.  There's no Tier IX Ops.  So for the PVE side of the house, it's only Co-op and the bots will rush you.  So Georgia's massive failure of a set of guns will not be a problem in Co-op because it's BRAWL TIME 95% of the time.  Couple that with the Massachusetts Secondaries, with her current stats, she'd be monstrous.  And couple this with protection I expect to be similar to other High Tier USN BBs, 33kts with Engine Boost for the lulz, Georgia will be a monster in Co-op.  I think she'll suck for PVP, but in PVE, she'll be invaluable.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
688 posts
5,656 battles
On 4/22/2019 at 3:02 PM, BlueByYou said:

And those destroyers are in cap, in range of enemy ships, within 26 seconds maximum? Completely false.

On 4/22/2019 at 3:53 PM, HamptonRoads said:

Nobody pops reload booster at the exact start of the game. Theres nothing to hit. Most of the time everyone will have something loaded before getting into or near a cap, some DDs dont because of how long their torp reloads are.

I think maybe it's time for you two to get out of coop and maybe learn a thing or two about the game. Two WOLF tags being wrong as usual.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
591 posts
16,691 battles
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 12:18 PM, The_Painted_Target said:

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, HamptonRoads said:

4 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Nobody pops reload booster at the exact start of the game. Theres nothing to hit. Most of the time everyone will have something loaded before getting into or near a cap, some DDs dont because of how long their torp reloads are.

I think maybe it's time for you two to get out of coop and maybe learn a thing or two about the game. Two WOLF tags being wrong as usual. 

I was responding to your question.  NOTE:  Serial TKers have been reported for doing this, not saying this is commonplace, just that it is out there.

• Cool 1

[A-D-F]
Members
1,772 posts
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:18 PM, The_Painted_Target said:

And where can I get it?

[PVE]
Members
9,332 posts
16,577 battles
12 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

And those destroyers are in cap, in range of enemy ships, within 26 seconds maximum? Completely false.

Wow what an arrogant one you are.

And for the record I will use TRB right at game start in a few ships. Harugumo for instance. It lets me have loaded torps when I get to the cap in case it is needed and it gets the booster reloading asap so it will be ready or near ready if I need my torps early. If I wait to use it then it takes forever to reload and I might need torp set 2. This gets my torps ready and the booster reloaded in optimal time for the 1st chance I have to use it. I wouldn't do that in PVP as there is no need but for Co-op it is valid.

Co-op is not like your precious PVP. The bots actually move up to fight and never stop moving up. They don't take 5 minutes just to get near a cap and spot the 1st enemy ship like PVP. In Co-op you need to move up as fast as you can to grab as much damage as you can; no feet dragging and being cautious. I hit speed boost in my DD's that have it right at the start so I can get to the cap as fast as I can and yet I have entered caps and already had DD's there and other ships closing fast.. If I waited for my torps to load normally they wouldn't always be ready when needed.

It is really funny how PVP elitists such as yourself talk about how Co-op players don't understand the game when folks like you clearly don't understand how Co-op works. Same game but 2 different playstyles. Maybe you need to learn how Co-op works before preaching to us.

Edited by AdmiralThunder
  • Cool 4

[KAPPA]
Members
883 posts
6,063 battles

Heck, many of us co-op players are ex-random players that got fed up with the meta of the month nonsense that happens in randoms, or perhaps we like brawling over sniping. I can assure you that a fair few of us do very much understand game mechanics as that is exactly what we fight in co-op, game mechanics. I dare you to find a random player that can brawl in a Yamato as effectively as I can, it's become something of a specialty of mine and taught me a heck of a lot about how to angle bounce 460mm guns. 

Anyways back to the Georgia, I've been interested from the get go, though I am also hoping for free xp or even outright premium shop purchaseability on it. My coal reserves on my US/Allies account are currently near depletion after finally getting the Salem, and it will be a long while before they build back up again. I will say I think the speed boost is a bit much and going to be of limited utility considering that I find Iowa's 33kts. to be too fast sometimes (first lesson I learned on Iowa is that it is more than fast enough to get you into trouble if you're not careful). I hope the secondaries stay at the Mass levels, as I've found effective secondaries help cover for inaccurate or slow main guns fairly well in co-op, though in this case they'd be covering for the low numbers of shells from the main guns. It's effectively a super-Gneis without torps and that sounds fun to me.

[WOLFA]
Members
175 posts
8,468 battles
13 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

And where can I get it?

Asashio is availabe as premium. When you get established in cap and are not seen because of 5.4km detection you launch 8 torps in first salvo. Hit torp reload booster, and in les than 10 seconds you are lined up and firing 8 more torps at second target.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,257 posts
19,624 battles

Careful about Asashio for Co-op purposes.  With 8 ship teams in Co-op there's the possibility where you deal with only 1 enemy bot BB and your torps are mostly useless.  Had a few games yesterday with no BBs even in High Tier.  This isn't like Randoms where you can regularly expect 4-5 BBs, sometimes 6.  Because of the wildly fluctuating amount of BBs to face in Co-op, Asashio IMO isn't a good Co-op Boat.  She needs the BB rich environment of PVP for her torpedoes to truly flex their muscles.  Nothing is more disappointing for Asashio in Co-op than to see only 1 BB that didn't spawn in your part of the map, or see no BB targets at all.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this