You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JCC45

USS Massachusetts: I AM IN LOVE

58 comments in this topic

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles

Wasn't going to buy this ship because of all of the CC comments about the dispersion.  Luckilly I got it in a container over Xmas.

My 4th battle...

BgThyeB.jpg

Win... lose.. WHO CARES?   This thing is a joy to play.

It holds my  personal record for planes shot down (54) and my damage and plane kills are in the top 5% on the NA server.

This beast just suits my play style down to a "T".

• Cool 6

-Members-
1,640 posts
814 battles
3 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

Wasn't going to buy this ship because of all of the CC comments about the dispersion.  Luckilly I got it in a container over Xmas.

My 4th battle...

BgThyeB.jpg

It holds my  personal record for planes shot down (54) and my damage and plane kills are in the top 5% on the NA server.

Hey JCC45,

That is a great game in the "Big Mamie". She is definitely a unique ship when it comes to the normal parameters of USN battleships. Yes, her dispersion is worse than her sisters the Alabama and the comparable North Carolina but her secondaries and brawling ability make her stand out!

So do you find yourself putting your ship in positions you normally wouldn't put a BB to use her strengths? 

Members
7 posts
6,110 battles

I agree. I splurged and picked her up a few weeks ago and I'm totally in love. I haven't found the dispersion to be a problem. 

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,693 posts
3,560 battles

Ugh, so many people love this ship but yet i cant find a home for her... Do you use IFHE or not? It doesnt get the nice 1/4 pen boost that the Germans get. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,898 posts
15,578 battles

Congrats.  Yep.  If you like mixing it up...she's a great ship.  She's got punch in her main armament, good AA, and those secondaries....oh my.  

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles

Its a great ship and the Mass B is a great looking camo love playing them even with its wonky dispersion. Ill take that over Romas overpens anyday of the week. Mass is, not as fun bottom tiered but very manageable which seems like i am a lot . But there are not many other ships id rather be bottom tiered in. its torpedo belt is questionable for its intent so you have to use some common sense getting in close. 

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles
17 minutes ago, iKami said:

Hey JCC45,

That is a great game in the "Big Mamie". She is definitely a unique ship when it comes to the normal parameters of USN battleships. Yes, her dispersion is worse than her sisters the Alabama and the comparable North Carolina but her secondaries and brawling ability make her stand out!

So do you find yourself putting your ship in positions you normally wouldn't put a BB to use her strengths? 

Absolutely.  As a (now) light cruiser main I am used to holding back until the herd gets thinned out and I can see how the battle is shaping up.  With this monster I have to force myself to push into the caps and bully anything there.  So far I have not had a battle under 100K, but my survival rate is on the low side... although I usually die later in the game.  Might adjust my Captain just a bit to see i I can up that.

Or not.

Oh.. I do have a dedicated 19 point Captain for her, bu it is worth it.

Edited by JCC45

[WOLFC]
Members
1,263 posts
6,894 battles

Whenever I'm in need of a secondary haul for a weekly quest,  I take my secondary spec'd Mass in B Sharp Minor into co-op. 

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles
1 minute ago, _1204_ said:

Ugh, so many people love this ship but yet i cant find a home for her... Do you use IFHE or not? It doesnt get the nice 1/4 pen boost that the Germans get. 

I did, but I swapped it out (along with something else.. can't remember) for concealment to try to increase my survival rate and to let me get in closer to get my secondaries  get to work.  So far the loss of IFHE doesn't seem to make a big difference.

If you angle correctly and get in to about 10K she can take a lot of abuse but hand out even more.  In that battle it took three ships to bring me down, and I was the last man standing on my team.

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles
1 minute ago, _1204_ said:

your preference i have two captains for it . since i have both ships . they both do around the same damage . the one i took ifhe  i dropped concealment makes it  a bunch harder to play specially bottom tier. It does average sightly more damage then without ifhe. 

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,965 battles
21 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

My 4th battle...

BgThyeB.jpg

My favorite ship in the whole game and the most fun to play 3 weeks ago I shot down 79 planes in a game . A tier 6 and a tier 8 CV ganged up on me . 

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,726 posts
8 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

See the thread I just linked, it has my spec in it.  I in turn stole that spec from a large thread, mostly about IFHE or not on the mass.  A lot of other people's work went into defining that it does in fact have a benefit.  The only real question becomes BFT or the extra heal.  I prefer the extra heal with premium consumables and find it useful.

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,965 battles
Just now, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

your preference i have two captains for it . since i have both ships . they both do around the same damage . the one i took ifhe  i dropped concealment makes it  a bunch harder to play specially bottom tier. It does average sightly more damage then without ifhe. 

You want the IFHE big time don't listen to people who say don't get make sure you get it  . I played 1200 games in that ship it helps a lot . 

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles

If anyone cares here is my "Total Meme" build...

XvE1kCW.jpg

That plus SBM1 & DCSM1 & 2 Modifications and the usual flags.

[LTPTG]
Members
64 posts
10,374 battles

I bought this ship four months ago. This is one that brought in all the XP that allowed me to get the other ships I now own.

I have gone nose to nose with every

BB out there. You might not beat all of them but you can hurt them all.

One of favorites traits is the secondaries. I was in a three way fight just recently and both sides were pouring out shells as I fought a BB in front.

Loved it!

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles
4 minutes ago, clammboy said:

You want the IFHE big time don't listen to people who say don't get make sure you get it  . I played 1200 games in that ship it helps a lot . 

I dont listen to people i compare both captains my mass has concealment and no ifhe and my mass B has ifhe and no concealment .Stat wise  its not a big difference and the mass B is just harder to play with ifhe which to me makes it less fun to play. 

[A-D-F]
3,726 posts
6 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

XvE1kCW.jpg

That plus SBM1 & DCSM1 & 2 Modifications and the usual flags.

You want IFHE

EDIT: and you REALLY want AR.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles
4 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

thats just semi meme since you dont have AR .........

[A-D-F]
3,726 posts
3 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

I dont listen to people i compare both captains my mass has concealment and no ifhe and my mass B has ifhe and no concealment .Stat wise  its not a big difference and the mass B is just harder to play with ifhe which to me makes it less fun to play. 

The second you fire your guns, the 4 points in concealment are wasted.  You guns should be firing at a target in range every time they are reloaded.

[A-D-F]
3,726 posts

This is the build you seek. BFT or the extra heal and the only real "preference" in my opinion.

Untitled.png

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,256 posts
19,624 battles

The hilarious thing with Secondary Builds on BBs with at least decent AA foundations, the build makes the ship better able to cope with air attacks than a "Survival Build" :Smile_trollface:

Also, if you like Massachusetts, keep an eye on the progress for Georgia.  Mass Secondaries, Iowa 33kt speed, Engine Boost, 457mm x6 guns, High Tier USN AA.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-TKS-]
Members
631 posts
9,728 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

The second you fire your guns, the 4 points in concealment is wasted.  You guns should be firing at a target in range every time they are reloaded.

Well i disagree as a matter of fact i wish they just removed the main  turrets from the mass , to save weight and make it faster . 

[A-D-F]
3,726 posts
10 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

Well i disagree as a matter of fact i wish they just removed the main  turrets from the mass , to save weight and make it faster . 

The secondaries are the "fun" part of the Mass, no question, no doubt, anyone who says different is wrong.

At the end of the day, it is a BB.  Trying to make it "stealthy" is a huge waste that still won't work optimally.

IFHE gives the secondaries the needed punch.   The math and stats for it were worked out a while ago in a big thread, I will try to find it.

[WDS]
Members
1,780 posts
8,965 battles
5 minutes ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

I had the opposite experience I ran it with concealment and no IFHE for a while and it was harder to play for me . I like to get up close and fight which is also my problem I over extend and die to soon I'm working on that . But I guess every one is different I love to play with the IFHE seems like I'm always spotted anyway these day with planes in every game so I don't know how good concealment is on the Mass didn't work for me as well .