Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Basic Firing Training vs. Demolition Expert for Atlanta?

17 comments in this topic

Members
2,635 posts
9,840 battles

Here's my current build, I chose to go with DE to compensate for lost fire chance due to IFHE that this light cruiser depends on for reliable damage.  Now, given small gun caliber IFHE penalty is only 1%, so without DE my fire chance would have been 4%, but with DE it's 6%.  Question is, is it worth going from 6% fire chance down to 4% for 10% increase in volume of fire (plus the AA bonus)?

ly9IoBE.jpg

[INTEL]
Members
1,980 posts
11,768 battles

Volume of fire is not something that Atlanta suffers from.  RNG will however, bite you with fire chance.  That's just IMHO.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

Atlanta has, what, 7×2 guns firing at any one time?

With BFT and IFHE, you're putting out 186 shells and ~7.5 fires per minute.

With DE and IFHE, it's 168 shells and ~10.1 fires per minute.

Let's compare both with the base Atlanta:  168 shells and ~8.4 fires per minute.

With BFT, you gain +10% DPM but lose ~11% fire starting rate compared to the base Atlanta. Additionally, the 10% continuous AA damage is nothing to sneeze at given 219 base DPS at long range gets boosted to 241 DPS.

With DE, you gain 0% DPM but gain ~20% fire starting rate compared to the base Atlanta.

However, DPM is constant, and fires are reliant on a multitude of other factors including Fire Prevention, DCM1, Hull Upgrades, Hull Type, and whether or not the ship is already burning.

Edited by WuYixiang
  • Cool 1

Members
2,635 posts
9,840 battles
19 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

However, DPM is constant, and fires are reliant on a multitude of other factors including Fire Prevention, DCPM1, Hull Upgrades, Hull Type, and whether or not the ship is already burning.

In practice the fire chance seems to be ridiculously low.  I recently had battle with 424 shell hits and 8 fires, which would indicate actual fire chance of less than 2%.  I would probably be better off with BFT.

[MIA-P]
Members
2,202 posts
11,504 battles
17 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

Let's compare both with the base Atlanta:  168 shells and ~8.4 fires per minute.

With BFT, you gain +10% DPM but lose ~11% fire starting rate compared to the base Atlanta. Additionally, the 10% continuous AA damage is nothing to sneeze at given 219 base DPS at long range gets boosted to 241 DPS.

With DE, you gain 0% DPM but gain ~20% fire starting rate compared to the base Atlanta.

However, DPM is constant, and fires are reliant on a multitude of other factors including Fire Prevention, DCPM1, Hull Upgrades, Hull Type, and whether or not the ship is already burning.

It gets even more interesting if you factor the tier fire reduction equations and stuff in.  
9zG3ewb.png

58qk0ce.png

Note: these numbers assume 30% accuracy with all 14 guns on a broadside.

[A-CUP]
Members
887 posts
6,443 battles

DE is a waste now that fires are nerfed.

BFT. BFT *still* would've been the right choice even with the old fire system, because reliable dmg beats RNG roll every time, and you roll more rounds for fire chance anyway.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
1 minute ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

It gets even more interesting if you factor the tier fire reduction equations and stuff in.  
[snip]

Nice! I'm at work and couldn't get all of the calculations done. I appreciate you posting hard numbers.

[MIA-P]
Members
2,202 posts
11,504 battles
Just now, WuYixiang said:

Nice! I'm at work and couldn't get all of the calculations done. I appreciate you posting hard numbers.

Yeah, I did the calculations quite a while back for a similar question on reddit.  Glad I kept it all around!

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
6 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Yeah, I did the calculations quite a while back for a similar question on reddit.  Glad I kept it all around!

I've been on a deletion spree lately, and I'm starting to regret it. LOL

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
1 hour ago, WuYixiang said:

However, DPM is constant, and fires are reliant on a multitude of other factors including Fire Prevention, DCM1, Hull Upgrades, Hull Type, and whether or not the ship is already burning.

Wu, you're overlooking the benefits to AA that BFT brings, which is not a minor concern in the CV meta.  (Oops, my  bad.  I missed the AA reference.)

Edited by Crucis

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
6 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Wu, you're overlooking the benefits to AA that BFT brings, which is not a minor concern in the CV meta.

I didn't. It was noted in your quote.

[WOLF2]
Members
236 posts
6,168 battles

That's my captain build exactly for Atlanta (and Wooster) and I've had great success with it.

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
5 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

I didn't. It was noted in your quote.

Sorry, my bad.  I missed it.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,359 posts
7,968 battles

BFT > DE for Atlanta.

Or for almost any other ship in the game. 

[SALVO]
Members
21,733 posts
22,069 battles
4 minutes ago, vak_ said:

BFT > DE for Atlanta.

Or for almost any other ship in the game. 

Vak, honestly, before the CV rework, I probably wouldn't agree with you, since there were  fewer CVs and DE would be a skill that you could fully use all the time.  OTOH, with so many carriers around right now, BFT becomes more valuable in its own right for the Atlanta.

Mind you, for the longest time, I've never had a dedicated Atlanta captain, and I'd make do with whichever DD or CL captain seemed like the best fit.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
56 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Sorry, my bad.  I missed it.

Not a problem. It was embedded in a wall of text, after all.

Sign in to follow this