Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
SouthboundPachyderm

Maybe finally figured out Ognevoi

5 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
69 posts
6,977 battles

Please ignore the XP earned, I had tons of flags on. Also, since it was a tier 10 match, I benefitted from being on the bottom. Final base XP was 3167 which is close to or is my personal best. Don't know how to look it up though.

I haven't had much chance to play the Ognevoi recently and my Russian DD grinds have come to a halt as I have been focusing my attention on the British BB line until last week. For grins I took it out last night just because and somehow I managed to have this beauty of a game. I think I finally figured it out. Now, to be fair, I swear the other team may have been feeling lingering after-effects of 4/20, but I can't prove that. I'll swear to whatever diety you choose, I'm not usually very good so this is clearly an anomaly. Just a happy one.

The Ognevoi just plain SUCKS against most other DDs at tier. I had one torp hit into a Kagero just at the beginning on a broad area-denial spread, but otherwise I spent most of my time shooting at cruisers and battleships. I just kept about 8km away (radared a couple of times by a pair of Baltys but they died early). 3 caps, some actual trackable fire damage, and whammo… nearly 193k on a boat I can't ever remember having fun in. I just need to remember to not try to contest against other DDs in this, because at that point it's 4 guns just aren't up to the task, especially against some of the more potent 9s and 10s it can sometimes see.

1555895134_og1.jpg

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
420 posts
13,258 battles

biggest little ship in the game

[HIT]
Members
152 posts
7,882 battles

I don't know why this ship has such a bad reputation. Although after playing Minsk it took a handful of games to get used to Ognevoi's differences, I was happy to finally have found an actual Russian torpedo boat. It's like a super Hatsuharu!

Maybe everybody expects it to be a typical Russian gunboat? But if that's what people were looking for why wouldn't they just work towards Khaba?

[ARGSY]
Members
11,687 posts
7,501 battles
On 5/13/2019 at 9:38 PM, HQ_21 said:

It's like a super Hatsuharu!

This is what I thought a couple of days ago after watching some vids on her and taking her out in public test. Twin guns in front, twin guns behind, not enough to really fight anything with but plenty to discourage pursuit and get opportunistic damage shots... good torps with comfortable stealth margin... hmm, where have I played a ship like that before?

On 5/13/2019 at 9:38 PM, HQ_21 said:

Maybe everybody expects it to be a typical Russian gunboat?

Especially if they went for the Kiev before turning around and getting the Ognevoi. Then they've ground three Russian gunboat DD tiers in a row and are probably expecting more of the same. 

Sign in to follow this