Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Kestrel_Falcon

IJN CV Captain skils

13 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
745 posts
12,142 battles

Gents I need a No **%* IJN Captain build for Shokaku and Hakuryu.  Bottom line is the CE needed?

[LODGE]
Members
297 posts
17,524 battles

I'd like to hear some opinions on this subject too, as well as on Hosho and Ryujo. Probably the same, though.

• Cool 1

Members
2,197 posts
78 battles

Take all CV-related skills.

I highly recommend getting Air Supremacy for the first 1-point skill, Torpedo Acceleration for the first 2-point skill and Aircraft Armor for 3rd skill. Sight Stabilization isn't quite necessary for IJN CVs, so you can get CE for the 4-point skill. 

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,469 battles

Why torpedo speed?  IJN torpedos already go 50 knots, do you really need the extra 5 knots at that speed?

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,469 battles

I would recommend skills that reduce aircraft servicing times, and increase aircraft speed above all else at first.

I usually pick air supremacy and improved engine boost first, then the skill that makes planes come back quicker (forget the name at the moment, improved engines?).  Then aircraft armor, and survival expert for the extra HP for planes and your ship.  Concealment is ok for IJN, but sight stabilization would probably be better, as you’ll be using that every time you launch an attack.  The 1-1.5 km spotting distance reduction isn’t worth it really, in my opinion.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,825 posts
30,346 battles

I'm on the fence about Concealment Expert.  Kaga, for example, doesn't need it for the ship itself really.  However, being able to start your attack run before the planes are even spotted is really nice.  No time to switch sectors, and not much time to start turning/slowing down/whatever.

The reduced aiming time skill (sight stabilization) is the one I'm most uncertain about.  Does that only impact the initial time to get a narrow spread, or does it also make maneuvering before drop harder to do?  4 points is a LOT.  Are there some CVs that benefit more from Sight Stabilization than others?

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,469 battles

I don’t have any four point skills on my CV captains yet, as I’ve spent my points on survival and speed skills. Nothing really trips my trigger for four points, which could be better used for lower point cost options.

Members
2,197 posts
78 battles
18 hours ago, Sierra1968 said:

Why torpedo speed?  IJN torpedos already go 50 knots, do you really need the extra 5 knots at that speed?

Trust me, 55 knot torps is a potent threat against DDs. 
I've learned to hit and kill enemy DDs using IJN TBs.

[-TNT-]
Members
745 posts
12,142 battles
2 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Trust me, 55 knot torps is a potent threat against DDs. 
I've learned to hit and kill enemy DDs using IJN TBs.

next free respec I'll adjust this oversight

[SYJ]
Members
210 posts
9,642 battles

CE on Shokaku is not need for a ship it self, but for planes it is debatable.

CE on a Hakuryu is a "quality of life" thing that lowers your surface detection from 15.66km naked to ~13.67 km with CE + Camo.
Is that 1.5 ~ 2 km a big deal? Doesn't sound like much. Until you start figuring out closure rate of enemy ships, as you are running away from a collapsing / collapsed flank.
That roughly translates into extra 2~3 minutes before your flat top is surface detected and used for gunnery practice / damage farming.

• Cool 1

[-TNT-]
Members
745 posts
12,142 battles
8 hours ago, Sammy_Small said:

CE on Shokaku is not need for a ship it self, but for planes it is debatable.

CE on a Hakuryu is a "quality of life" thing that lowers your surface detection from 15.66km naked to ~13.67 km with CE + Camo.
Is that 1.5 ~ 2 km a big deal? Doesn't sound like much. Until you start figuring out closure rate of enemy ships, as you are running away from a collapsing / collapsed flank.
That roughly translates into extra 2~3 minutes before your flat top is surface detected and used for gunnery practice / damage farming.

Point well taken. IJN would benefit from CE.  I don't use CE on my HMS Audacious and it works just fine for me. As for the IJN CE would help the planes get a little closer before LR opens up on me. 

Sign in to follow this