You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
freggo

19pt Captain, best use advise wanted!

11 comments in this topic

[A-O]
Members
679 posts
6,732 battles

Hi all, looking for advise on how best to use a 19pt captain.

I'm a few days away from my first 19 pointer (without using my free XP). Yeah :-)

He is currently on the German cruiser Yorck and I swap him back and forth with Graf Spee.

No retraining needed as Spee is a Premium of course.

Once the Captain reaches 19pt I think i have 2 options:

OPTION 1

Continue swapping back between Yorck and Spee to collect Free Commander XP

Sounds boring to me playing only these two ships to make that worth while.

OPTION 2

Swapping the guy thru all my 10 or so German ships without retraining.

So he will only be 50% effective of course but still collecting lots of Free Cptn XP

and I get to play all my German ships instead of only 2 of them,

OPTION 3

or am I overlooking another option ???

Edited by freggo
spelling fix

[INTEL]
Members
7,209 posts
30,479 battles

If you only have one German Premium to swap the captain in, then continue to do so. Retraining to other ships is costly, goes orange for a while so skills are reduced to 50% for some, and zero for others.

The point is to reuse (swap) 19 pointers to suitable Premium ships to maximize the earning of Elite XP. After a while you get enough Elite XP for other 19 pointers and then the earnings accelerate. Rinse and repeat.

Note that your Option 2 is in error. While orange, captain does not earn Elite XP. First XP earned goes to retraining until done.

Edited by alexf24

[TBW]
Members
7,996 posts
14,627 battles
2 hours ago, freggo said:

I'm a few days away from my first 19 pointer (without using my free XP). Yeah :-)

He is currently on the German cruiser Yorck and I swap him back and forth with Graf Spee.

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

So he will only be 50% effective of course but still collecting lots of Free Cptn XP

OPTION 3

If you have other Premiums that he can be used on, do it. First of all, ships are viable even without a captain that has any skills. Second and more important, is that the 19 point Captain makes more 19 point Captains.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,712 posts
7,704 battles

Place the 19pt captain on the ship you are planning on using the most (if that‘s anpremium, then the second one).

That way you will accumulate the most Elite XP, while also having the most powerful captain on your favorite ship. As you earn that XP, use it for other captains.

Swapping the captain between tech tree ships will cause what alexf24 described above, so it‘s not recommended to do that permanently.

• Cool 1

[A-O]
Members
679 posts
6,732 battles
5 hours ago, alexf24 said:

Note that your Option 2 is in error. While orange, captain does not earn Elite XP. First XP earned goes to retraining until done.

AAAAAHHHHH !!

I did not know that, but makes total sense now that I read it!

That means Yorck and Spee have to share him as Spee is my only German Premium.

Thanks!

Members
11 posts
370 battles

Well,

1. 19 point captains give you free captain points you can use to level up, so what I do in my main account is the following.

Play scenario games where you can get 10 point captains for a certain nation. If you get 4 stars which means doing most of the objectives you get a free 10 point captain, but of course it seems these days every week that mission changes and it seems you can get it only once per nation now.

2. You need credits, I mean a lot of credits to get a tier 10 ship so, I usually grind to the extent that I have earned enough credits to buy all the mods and upgrades for the tier 10 ship, and by the time you do that I'm sure you'll have enough premium captain points made by the 19 point captain. So I just level up the remaining points that are left on the new captain.

Ex)

One) 19 point captain on premium ship keep playing to earn money and credits and captain points.

Two) 10 point free scenario captain or new captain on the tech tree that I want.

Three) When I have enough credits to make a full tier 10 ship with all upgrades and mods, I just level up the captain by using what my 19 point captain had earned.

To sum it up, you need a lot of credits to buy a new 10 tier ship anyways, so earn it first, and when you get your second 19 point use the two 19 points while doing another new captain.

Do you get it?

Good luck~

Edited by soleil_royale96

[F4E-2]
Members
74 posts
1,979 battles

Option 3 — ID the next captain you want to level up and have thst captain cycle between his tech tree ship and the Spee, while your 19-point captain continues in the Yorck.  This lets you play 3 ships and still speed the development of your next commander...  It doesn't offer that much diversity of play, but it offers a bit more (3 ships vice 2). 

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,602 posts
6,235 battles
On 4/22/2019 at 2:56 AM, freggo said:

OPTION 1

OPTION 2

OPTION 3

Option 4.  Buy Tirpitz.  Buy Scharnhorst, buy one one month, the other the next.  Then switch captain between those three until you get Bismarck.  Then retrain for Bismarck and run him through those three others as well as Bismarck for captains points.  

Edited by comtedumas

[A-O]
Members
679 posts
6,732 battles
9 minutes ago, comtedumas said:

Option 4.  Buy Tirpitz.  Buy Scharnhorst, buy one one month, the other the next.  Then switch captain between those three until you get Bismarck.  Then retrain for Bismarck and run him through those three others as well as Bismarck for captains points.  

Have Bismarck and FdG. Grinding for GK.

As for Tirpitz, Scharnhorst and Prinz Eugen, they are high on my shopping list. Waiting for a Group sale :-)

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Members
1,602 posts
6,235 battles
11 minutes ago, freggo said:

Have Bismarck and FdG. Grinding for GK.

As for Tirpitz, Scharnhorst and Prinz Eugen, they are high on my shopping list. Waiting for a Group sale :-)

Here is the problem with that.  WG doesn’t understand that a sale means prices should be lower.  They may bundle them together, but they will make the price the full price of all of them maybe less five dollars.  Not really worth it to wait.  Plus getting them with a month between you spread the costs out some.  

[ENDO]
Members
239 posts

I have my 19 point captains share ships, one tech tree and at least one other such as but not limited to:

• Amagi and Kii.
  • Iowa and Missouri
  • Des Moines and Salem.

The reason is that there is a bonus (50% to 200%) for the first win of the day. So I play one ship until there is a win and move the captain over to the other ship. That way, I maximize the experience draw.