Battleship_Elisabeth

Any time I play, I leave feeling like I should delete the client.

60 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
6,130 posts
6,352 battles

Does anyone else react this way?

I wouldn't describe myself as "raging," because I don't actually go and follow through. I'm also not, like, flipping my desk or something. But I routinely walk away having played 3-4 matches and say "wow, I really should delete this game." 

I mean, take last match. It's a complete slaughter - as is apparently the new normal - and we're losing. Two of the people on my team decide to get into an extended pissing contest about their WRs - one guy is berating the other for his 43%, while simultaneously chest-thumping about having 'just achieved 50%, and therefore not being a burden to teams.' Meanwhile, an enemy Enterprise is casually dropping 9 straight torpedoes into my WV '41, against which I can do nothing. I keep my mouth shut because there's nothing to say. We eventually lose. I close the game for the night.

While I often leave unhappy, I have to say that that particular match felt like a microcosm of the entire WoWs experience these days: people being absolutely sidewalk-licking bad at the game, insulting each other as if our lives depended on victory, carriers doing dumb things for which there is no counter, and MM producing results that are neither fulfilling, nor even worthy of emotional investment. I mean, how could I possibly come away from that episode wanting more?

Yes, not every match is like that. But I feel like we're seeing the entire product slip further down the slope with time. And I cannot be alone in this. It would be one thing if the community was awesome and the game was souring - but it seems as if both are simultaneously getting more toxic.  And, with every slide, I am less committed to pressing forward.

2XmSTZQ.gif

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 26
  • Boring 3

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
1,638 posts
5,410 battles

It's funny because I have felt like that hundreds upon hundreds of times throughout the time I've been playing.  To some extent, I think it's a reflection of the whole agony of defeat/joy of victory thing which in a wierd way is good.  But then there are the systemic things that make you rage quitty and those aren't so great.  It's a fine line I suppose.

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
973 posts
4,311 battles

Take an extended break and come back. If you really don't enjoy the game that much, time to move on. There are plenty of other hobbies you can find or new games to play.

My experience since returning post CV rework has been fairly good. Had only a few blow outs but most games have been competitive even a few comebacks after some yolo dolo bois put us behind the 8 ball.

Edited by Stand_Alone97
  • Cool 2

[CSALT]
Members
1,001 posts

I know that I still log in, but I am playing fewer amd fewer battles.  The game just isn't fun or maybe more accurately, the fun games are few and far between.

It isn't any one thing, it is a lot of little things, but it all just adds up to a not-fun experience.

• Cool 2

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

I think the only thing keeping a good portion of us here is habit and the amount of time/effort we've invested and we're just unwilling to call all that a failure.  If we could somehow cash out and get all that back we would gladly do so but we cant so we just plod on unhappily.  We certainly don't stick around because we enjoy it which is sad.  My play has cut way back and spending dropped to zero.  I recently blew threw all my fxp to get the Henri and that has been fun and rekindled a bit of interest but nothing like before.  

Don't really have any advice for you except to say that you definitely are not alone and that I've just found other games and other things in life to fill my time with and it really hasn't been that bad.

• Cool 6

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,339 posts
11,846 battles
18 minutes ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

Take an extended break and come back. If you really don't enjoy the game that much, time to move on. There are plenty of other hobbies you can find or new games to play.

My experience since returning post CV rework has been fairly good. Had only a few blow outs but most games have been competitive even a few comebacks after some yolo dolo bois put us behind the 8 ball.

It doesn't have to be extended and it may not even need to be away from the game. Play co-op for awhile for the brainless bot bashing and if that doesn't do the trick take a week or two and play something else. When you come back only worry about the one player you control, yourself.

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

I'm on a CV bend this past week and the weekend. Try playing CV's for a while... the lower tiers are real easy to play, great stress reliever and FUN, caps intended. 

I also agree with taking a break. Your ships will sit in port patiently awaiting your return. 

15 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

the only thing keeping a good portion of us here is habit and the amount of time/effort we've invested and we're just unwilling to call all that a failure.

Close... but for me it wouldn't be a failure, it's just like you're comfortable with the game. They do a good job of balancing the game "mentally", keeping certain personality types tied to the game. Once you realize you are, in the end, being played when playing the game, it's a lot easier to let go. 

Late last year I took an extended break until the CV rework was done. I found a lot of other games out there, lot's of them solo strategy games. It sort of scratched the itch this game cannot scratch. 

I'm sticking primarily with CV's until they reach the point of just going too far with the nerfs. On that day, I'll take another extended break until subs arrive. 

Maybe you can adopt a similar strategy that satisfies you? 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It doesn't have to be extended and it may not even need to be away from the game. Play co-op for awhile for the brainless bot bashing and if that doesn't do the trick take a week or two and play something else. When you come back only worry about the one player you control, yourself.

^^^ Very much this too... totally agree. It can be great to LJ into a blob of bots! 

[WOLFC]
Members
1,664 posts

After my first 6 months the "salt" drove me away from the game for a year or more.  After retirement, I came back ... with a different perspective and attitude.  I've always played for competition and fun but now I play mostly for "MY" fun.  So, it's been mainly CoOp/Ops and the latest ranked, but I pretty much quit Randoms when I saw how low the skill level and high the "attitude" had gone.  It appears to have gotten even worse over the past year.  I'm afraid it's not just the game, but (internet) society in general.

I'll still play Randoms for certain missions and grinds but the trolls, idiots and self-indulgent are no longer my concern. If it's driving ya crazy,  it never hurts to take a break.  Whatever your decision, remember it really is just a game.

• Cool 3

[-BUI-]
Members
1,331 posts
3,445 battles

I've learned to stop playing the game while Clan Battles is going on.

While they are going, every single Random Battle is about as 1-sided as possible.   

The skill drain in randoms is so massive during clan battle hours, that the other team having just 1 or 2 above average players will dominate.  Its systemic.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

If you're ever at a point where you cannot enjoy a game that is meant to be entertainment, you need to leave it.  Whether for good or just a break from it.  I have "left" this game several times.  My first break was 5 months.  I have had numerous 1 month or more likely, stops of 1, 2 or 3 weeks.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,283 posts
22,489 battles
6 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

After my first 6 months the "salt" drove me away from the game for a year or more.  After retirement, I came back ... with a different perspective and attitude.  I've always played for competition and fun but now I play mostly for "MY" fun.  So, it's been mainly CoOp/Ops and the latest ranked, but I pretty much quit Randoms when I saw how low the skill level and high the "attitude" had gone.  It appears to have gotten even worse over the past year.  I'm afraid it's not just the game, but (internet) society in general.

I'll still play Randoms for certain missions and grinds but the trolls, idiots and self-indulgent are no longer my concern. If it's driving ya crazy,  it never hurts to take a break.  Whatever your decision, remember it really is just a game.

Yep. Randoms getting very... random. 

My WR got a heavy dent within the last two months, I can barely make a day with a +50% WR anymore. 

From my timezone, I can give my clan some easy 10 points for the Naval Battles weekend. Especially since I play some of the more "exotic" stuff like PanAsian DD. For anything else: some fast co-op or operations for missions.

And yes, the number of toxic players is rising. Still not as bad as in some other games, but less civilized then it was once.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,208 posts
4,734 battles

You've been telling people you've quit for months...all you do is come on here and whine.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 2

[INTEL]
Members
10,635 posts
29,956 battles
29 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I know that I still log in, but I am playing fewer amd fewer battles.  The game just isn't fun or maybe more accurately, the fun games are few and far between.

It isn't any one thing, it is a lot of little things, but it all just adds up to a not-fun experience.

Pretty much my experience as well. Having a lot of fun the in Operations Discord with my Ops buddies, still, so that keeps me coming back. Had a good run today in Randoms, 6-1, even got a couple of games without Sky Griefers. Though the outcomes were clear from the opening minutes (when the Red CV attempts to strike me in DM with an Aki and Mino sitting next to me...) in every match, or from the MM (Red had purple clan div), at least they were all competitive for a change, with some possibility that the loser might be able to pull it out. 

I just look at all the stuff I had to give up, though. I don't play DDs anymore. Many of my favorite ships are port queens because WG gave us two CV crapfests and they have no AA. That's on top of all the ships I stopped playing when the T4 restricted MM made them unplayable.

When I realize that, I become sad...

• Boring 1

[-D-S-]
Members
120 posts
3,651 battles

In the past, I have complained Cv rework and MM. At the same time I still played every day like you. I hoped one day WG can improve these defects. But I am disappointed. From the beginning of this April, I went to another city to do some job and could not play WOWS for 2 weeks. These days I feel better than I played this game in the past. I never feel frustrated now. 

So I have to tell you, if you cannot feel any happy from this game, just leave it. Don’t hesitate.

Members
2,436 posts
10,179 battles

I do know the general feeling.

Mostly from MMORPGs PVP, but a bunch of those were objectively p2w games. 

I have felt general burnout in games. Quakeworld Teamfortress, CS GO, Starcraft 1, Command and Conquer 1, all possibly because Ive played them quite competitively.

I think the less competitive I view the game, the slower the burn out occurs for me.

The general community of WoWs is alright to me, the forums are like any other games forums Ive participated on. In-game I mostly ignore things in chat other than tactical things/f key commands. 

I will just take a break from a game if I feel like Im not enjoying it. Alot of games Ive returned refreshed, others Ive never returned too. The ones Ive never returned to though I tend to have major issues with (Hearthstone, Allods Online). I do view this game quite differently than alot of regular forum posters though. 

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Does anyone else react this way?

I wouldn't describe myself as "raging," because I don't actually go and follow through. I'm also not, like, flipping my desk or something. But I routinely walk away having played 3-4 matches and say "wow, I really should delete this game." 

I mean, take last match. It's a complete slaughter - as is apparently the new normal - and we're losing. Two of the people on my team decide to get into an extended pissing contest about their WRs - one guy is berating the other for his 43%, while simultaneously chest-thumping about having 'just achieved 50%, and therefore not being a burden to teams.' Meanwhile, an enemy Enterprise is casually dropping 9 straight torpedoes into my WV '41, against which I can do nothing. I keep my mouth shut because there's nothing to say. We eventually lose. I close the game for the night.

While I often leave unhappy, I have to say that that particular match felt like a microcosm of the entire WoWs experience these days: people being absolutely sidewalk-licking bad at the game, insulting each other as if our lives depended on victory, carriers doing dumb things for which there is no counter, and MM producing results that are neither fulfilling, nor even worthy of emotional investment. I mean, how could I possibly come away from that episode wanting more?

Yes, not every match is like that. But I feel like we're seeing the entire product slip further down the slope with time. And I cannot be alone in this. It would be one thing if the community was awesome and the game was souring - but it seems as if both are simultaneously getting more toxic.  And, with every slide, I am less committed to pressing forward.

2XmSTZQ.gif

It's a sure sign of taking the game far too seriously. If a game depresses you, it's time to reorder your priorities. 

It's not to say I don't understand...but you have to consider that games and forums become a place for people to dump thier real world garbage into. They act out here because acting like this in the real world would get them a black eye. 

That's why I keep saying it's just a game. Taking it too seriously is what generates the toxic spewing and related feeling you have. Get perspective before the game starts controlling you.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
929 posts
7,697 battles

Been there. Feel free to add me if you need a div-mate. I'm usually up late on my off nights so west-coast players are ideal.

Members
1,661 posts
15,724 battles

You summed up how I feel. 

For those suggesting he take a break, what do you think that will change? All it will change is his disposition, which is to get frustrated at the game and the people and mechanics around d it being so horrible. 

Taking a break won't fix the game. The game itself needs fixing but hey, here's some more T10 HE spammers instead. 

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

Members
2,436 posts
10,179 battles
12 minutes ago, CaucasianReroll said:

You summed up how I feel. 

For those suggesting he take a break, what do you think that will change? All it will change is his disposition, which is to get frustrated at the game and the people and mechanics around d it being so horrible. 

Taking a break won't fix the game. The game itself needs fixing but hey, here's some more T10 HE spammers instead. 

It may give him a different perspective. He may even find something else he actually enjoys. The players only can only make so much impact on how the game is run and developed. 

We can provide a few forms of empathy. 

1. Hey, yah we get you.

2. Go on some crazy rant with him.

Neither of them are really going to change the game that much.

edit: Here's a picture I found on reddit with the title

"That was Zen, this is meow."  - find your Zen, @Battleship_Elisabeth

7kzn09swmpt21.png

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,895 posts
15,569 battles

Veni....Vidi....Vici

shot-19_04.19_21_31.54-0896.thumb.jpg.e345e2f140ccba15e6835253fa05d411.jpg

It happens....I've been on both sides of the story.

[B_Y_F]
Members
385 posts
9,074 battles

"GLHF"....that's all what a game is for me.

If you try hard, noone can stop you have fun.

Even if you try hard, you still need some good luck for win.

GLHF--->GG

Beta Testers
5 posts
2,956 battles

I'd say take a break. Play something else for a while. If you get to the point that you aren't enjoying a game and you're just doing "gaming chores" just stop. It's meant to be enjoyed.

After a break, get in a clan and play in divisions. Use the complaint system, but also use the compliment system so it isn't a negative thing.

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,303 posts
8,136 battles

I undestand OP. I feel in a similar way. The overall gameplay seems to be getting worse and worse, its seems to me that players are actually getting worse with time, instead of getting better. And just to make things worse all this CV mess taking all the fun that was left on the game. I often log into the game just to stare some ships in the port for a few min and just log out and move to some other game. 

Edited by Xlap

Alpha Tester
2,294 posts

Regardless if it's random or co-op battles, the "I shoot you, you shoot me" gameplay gets boring really fast. Life is already a challenge. Games are supposed to be fun and relaxing, not stressful and rage inducing. WoT was extremely disappointing for me on so many aspects, and sadly WoWS is really no better.

I've hardly played since the PEF event burned me out. With Assassin's Creed Unity currently free to download, I don't expect to return to WoWS anytime soon, if ever. I still check this forum once in a while though.