Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Thinking you want to try carriers? Go RN!

24 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts

So I've taken all three lines to the top. I know a lot of folks say "Go USN! Lex is the best!" They also tell you how great the Midway is and same with the IJN tree.. 

I'm suggesting you take the RN line because for me, mister average player, the RN line is the easiest, most consistent carrier line to play. Of course, with enough games, you can get good on any ship type, class, ship...

Every time I jump into the Lex and tangle with tier X ships, I miss my Implacable. With her, I can deal some good damage. Lex? Planes get obliterated, torp aiming takes days, the slightest twitch and you're firing wide again... 

By the time you get to Tier X, the Midway costs will eat you alive, unless you want to buy a permanent camo and flag it all up. 

Hermes has single TB planes that can almost turn on a dime and rearm in mere seconds. Furious is exactly that - Furious. Implacable can comfortably deal with tier X up-tiering. Audacious? Well, she's not as over the top as you might want but she plays a very solid, paying game. 

Since this is all my opinion you can completely ignore it. But playing up all three lines, my choice for carriers would be RN. 

Join the carrier ranks today! (advertising blurb) 

• Cool 3

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles

Frustratingly slow when trying to respond to the actions of distant enemy ships or enemy aircraft carrier aircraft carriers, though.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
2,868 posts
11,787 battles

RN CV have very tanky planes but the reserve is very low and planes takes ages to regen if you lose them. And if you're new to CV you WILL definitely lose them.

Also I don't know but RN CV seems to be lacking something / doing a less effective job than USN or IJN .

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles
28 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

RN CV have very tanky planes but the reserve is very low and planes takes ages to regen if you lose them. And if you're new to CV you WILL definitely lose them.

Also I don't know but RN CV seems to be lacking something / doing a less effective job than USN or IJN .

They don't seem to have any 'burst' damage ...

You cannot get citadels at all often. If torps are able to cause detonations, I've not seen one yet.

Every battle is grinding flooding and fire damage, or RNG chip damage from rockets.

But still pretty intense.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,060 posts
32 minutes ago, HMS_Formidable said:

They don't seem to have any 'burst' damage ...

You cannot get citadels at all often. If torps are able to cause detonations, I've not seen one yet.

Every battle is grinding flooding and fire damage, or RNG chip damage from rockets.

But still pretty intense.

This is probably my best overall RN game to-date: 

shot-19_04.13_00_30.06-0768.thumb.jpg.49fc7bc8fabe5d1790e55459730e91f6.jpg

What I like about them is the consistency of her aircraft. I'm rarely, rarely shot down on a TB or DB run on 6/8/10 carriers in the RN line. Of course, I'm running high skill commanders but still... 

Just give them a consideration and welcome to Carriers! 

Note: I got another DevStrike about a week after the Yamato on a G.Kurfurst. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles

I would suggest those devastating strikes are the exception, other than the rule.

For example, how often would a Lexington get a citadel?

And how often does a Lexington get a devastating strike?

I find that while high scores such as the one above are attainable, they are rare. But the ships are still interesting to play.

But I guess we'd need to see a full breakdown of the damage / performance statistics to tell.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

I am not fond of those level carpet bombers.  I don't have Audacious, so my opinion is more based on Implacable.  Those carpet bombers are unreliable and weak in their effects.  They have low pen.  I can't even rely on them setting fires.  Unlike USN HE DBs, these level carpet bombers are all but useless against DDs and small targets.  It's a good thing Implacable's TBs are great, because she doesn't have too much of anything else.

• Cool 1

[CUTE]
Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles

I’ve been underwhelmed by the RN line so far. Everything has just so much less damage than the US or IJN counterparts. There’s not a single plane type that I think the Implacable does better than the US or IJN lines. The rockets have barely 2/3 the alpha of the other nations, the torpedoes don’t aim that much faster than Shokaku’s or Lex’s, but deal significantly less damage than either of them, and the level bombers are just absolute trash against a player that’s paying the slightest bit of attention. You can only sorta maybe angle against lexy or shokaku DBs, but when you turn sideways against an implacable it’s rare you get hit by more than one or two bombs.

[CUTE]
Members
2,302 posts
10,644 battles
12 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I am not fond of those level carpet bombers.  I don't have Audacious, so my opinion is more based on Implacable.  Those carpet bombers are unreliable and weak in their effects.  They have low pen.  I can't even rely on them setting fires.  Unlike USN HE DBs, these level carpet bombers are all but useless against DDs and small targets.  It's a good thing Implacable's TBs are great, because she doesn't have too much of anything else.

Yeah, those level bombers are great when you drop a Saipan and deal 18k damage, but whenever you try to use them on something like a battleship or cruiser and they just turn sideways, you end up only hitting with one or two bombs.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,235 posts

Eh, I feel like RN CVs gimmicks of tanky but slow planes and level bombers lackluster, especially when speed is king for aircraft. Not to mention just how bad the accuracy on the level bombers is and the stealth nerf WG snuck in on the drop time for their bombs, not to mention their small reserves and painfully long regen times.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles
4 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Eh, I feel like RN CVs gimmicks of tanky but slow planes and level bombers lackluster, especially when speed is king for aircraft. Not to mention just how bad the accuracy on the level bombers is and the stealth nerf WG snuck in on the drop time for their bombs, not to mention their small reserves and painfully long regen times.

Those aren't bombs.  They're Paratroopers.

Cover%20image%20Primosole%20Bridge%20art

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
833 posts
26,619 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Those aren't bombs.  They're Paratroopers.

Cover%20image%20Primosole%20Bridge%20art

Awesome lol. Audacious has something like a 4 sec drop. If you can start landing them ( I can actually hit DD's with them, 1 or 2 bombs at a time), you'll unlock the power of this line.

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,195 posts
6,018 battles

nice anti midway propaganda you got here,i'm sure the DD mafia paid you to say that "RN CV are consistent and easy".

backdrop.jpg

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,320 posts
5,270 battles

I like the line more than Japan, but I wouldn't call those level bombs very "beginner friendly". Not to mention the long travel times which, yes, can improve your aim by letting you start closer to the target, but also can really hamper your overall dpm. Not to mention having the weakest rocket attack squadron at tier 8.

Seriously devs. FIX! THE! SEAFIRES!

The US line is closest to what I'd call an "average" or "user-friendly" line. Good rockets, great dive bombs, solid torps, and quick planes to get them on target.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

nice anti midway propaganda you got here

Are you talking about the OP? It didn't come across that way to me; it sounded like he was giving his personal subjective opinion that out of all the three lines, the RN felt most comfortable.

I have to say, between the Furious and the Ranger I agree with him.

[CAFE]
Members
1,726 posts
12,446 battles

RN CVs are the worst CVs tier for tier. The RN CVs do not do anything better than the USN or IJN CVs and you get slower as well as less planes...

The rockets and DBs are pretty trash with the only saving grace being the TBs. After coming to that realization, it is painfully obvious that the IJN TBs are stronger, faster, you get almost double the hanger of TBs, and do more damage. There is literally no point in playing a CV that only has one useful armament, which happens to be outclassed by another CV line.

Members
3,637 posts
3,938 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Are you talking about the OP? It didn't come across that way to me; it sounded like he was giving his personal subjective opinion that out of all the three lines, the RN felt most comfortable.

I have to say, between the Furious and the Ranger I agree with him.

Yeb, I agree. They not be the hardest hitting but the bloom on everything remains tight even when moving, and if it does expand its very slow. All you need do is get used to the bomb and torp speeds. 

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles

I hated the implacable and Lex is my best ship, lol. I do prefer Audacious over Midway, though, even if my Midway stats are a bit better. I just don't really enjoy playing Midway for some reason.

The thing with the RN CVs is two-fold for me: agonizingly slow rocket planes, and WILDLY inconsistent level bombers. The level bomber reticle REEEEALY needs to be narrower imo. So aggravating to have a beautiful drop, and only have 3-4 bombs connect. The rocket planes are just disgustingly, nonsensicaly, slow. I mean, on the Audacious it's the same plane for all three squads, yet somehow loading those rockets on the plane make it wildly slower than loading several thousand pounds of GP bombs?

Between those two issues, reliably handling smaller ships is just way more awkward. The torps are great to use, but cruisers and DDs that know how to play will be able to avoid most of those. Without being able to as reliably handle light targets (than say, usn), it really hurts the tree.

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
14,312 battles

As much as I hate to admit it...since getting Audacious my Midway's set in port...the torps are easier for me to deal with on Audacious, which makes up for the level bombers making me want to hit my head against a wall...repeatedly. The rockets I can take or leave, the Tiny Tims on Midway are good on larger ships, but the massed small rockets on Aud. are workable.

[DRACS]
Members
4,734 posts

I'm still on the fence about RN CVs. Their torps are great. But their rockets can't pen battleship plating at high tiers. And their carpet bombers are very ineffective overall due to a combination of poor HE pen and dispersion.

It's the latter that annoys me the most. When you drop with RN CV carpet bombers, the bombs fly straight and massively stretch out the ellipse while they fall, resulting in half the bombs dropping where they were supposed to. I mean, maybe the 'technique' is to slow down planes as you arrive on target, but that just means more time spent in AA. It's like the opposite of USN dive bombers that are more precise than they should be.

The WOWS devs said that perfectly lined up carpet bomb drops on large targets were supposed to do more damage on average than any other dive bombers. This is absolutely NOT the case at all.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
2 hours ago, Frenotx said:

I mean, on the Audacious it's the same plane for all three squads, yet somehow loading those rockets on the plane make it wildly slower than loading several thousand pounds of GP bombs?

Drag, not just weight, is the issue. The rocket planes ought to be slower.

What stretches credibility for me, though, is the Hurricanes on the Furious being so much slower than the Barracudas, except at peak speed which can be maintained for no time at all. They were 100mph faster in real life, and the rockets ought not to make that much of a difference.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,872 posts
9,526 battles

I've found the rocket planes are pretty reliable (done Hermes and Furious) vs. DDs and any CLs. On BB you're praying for fire.

The TB are excellent. Short range and quick turnaround, so you can do a cross-drop to hammer a CR or BB that tried to dodge.

DB need an accuracy buff. I get inconsistent results with them, and it's annoying having to run DE just for 5% more chance of a fire per bomb.

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Drag, not just weight, is the issue. The rocket planes ought to be slower.

What stretches credibility for me, though, is the Hurricanes on the Furious being so much slower than the Barracudas, except at peak speed which can be maintained for no time at all. They were 100mph faster in real life, and the rockets ought not to make that much of a difference.

Granted, but the difference in cruise speed is absurd, especially when you consider that the bombers can maintain boost for a long time, and the rocket planes can't. With boost management, you can average cruise ~195. For the rocket planes, it's more like an average speed of ~150.

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
289 posts
9,672 battles

Currently grinding through tier 6 on all lines, so far I find USN the most straightforward, all the attacks are simple and punchy and the dive bombs follow a nice pattern that is intuitive, smooth and seems to accurately follow the ghost indicator you have while flying around (the one telling you where the attack will settle down), and even if you miss you can speed boost through and get a lot of forward momentum to make up for it. The RN bombs seem simpler on paper, but they also seem to really hate ships that maneuver, which I assume is what I'll mostly find in randoms once I done grinding random modules and captains in botbash mode. IJN is by far the worst offender in the dive bombs in that they seem to take pride in not doing what you expected it to do, most often than not I see the aim jumping in front or behind the spot that was marked by the ghost indicator for seemingly no reason at all - for example the stationary bots in the killer whale operation, I get them inside the white indicator and click, next thing I know the planes are diving down with only half the aft or stern of the ship still inside the aiming circle. At this point I just accept they do that and adjust my initial aiming accordingly

Sign in to follow this