You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dashtardly

How many planes?

8 comments in this topic

[DOG]
Members
358 posts
8,720 battles

Was in Bismark in a 6-7-8 game and faced off against two CVs (T6 Furious and T8 Kaga) - we had a T8 Implacable and a T6 Ranger. Was a loss (last ship alive before they won on points), but managed to close on and kill the Kaga in the process of late game (re-)capping. Was switching AA focus side frequently and under constant attack (fortunately I was able to dodge all torps or torp planes all dead before they could drop).  Both our CVs died - T6 (either side) either bottom or next to last and the T8s were middle of the pack (ours was #4, theirs was #7).

I have NEVER shot down so many planes in ANY ship (previous best was 42 in a Seattle), nor did I consider the Bismark a real AA ship (rating is 62).

Spoiler

WoWS.BestGame.Bismark-83planes-loss.thumb.jpg.c891dd0374d27c73a51c6942432ba7fb.jpg

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,295 posts
11,826 battles

raw

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,110 posts
11,120 battles
42 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Was in Bismark in a 6-7-8 game and faced off against two CVs (T6 Furious and T8 Kaga) - we had a T8 Implacable and a T6 Ranger. Was a loss (last ship alive before they won on points), but managed to close on and kill the Kaga in the process of late game (re-)capping. Was switching AA focus side frequently and under constant attack (fortunately I was able to dodge all torps or torp planes all dead before they could drop).  Both our CVs died - T6 (either side) either bottom or next to last and the T8s were middle of the pack (ours was #4, theirs was #7).

I have NEVER shot down so many planes in ANY ship (previous best was 42 in a Seattle), nor did I consider the Bismark a real AA ship (rating is 62).

Hide contents

WoWS.BestGame.Bismark-83planes-loss.thumb.jpg.c891dd0374d27c73a51c6942432ba7fb.jpg

Any ship that normally specs into secondaries will end up with pretty good AA. The AA rating isn't that helpful anymore, it's a lot more complicated now.

[CSALT]
Members
1,001 posts

Nice!!  You did a lot of things correctly ot seems.

I always wondered if you take damage if a falling, smoking, burning plane hits your ship.

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles

Kaga's whole shtick is having an abnormally large number of abnormally fragile planes. The way AA and plane health scale means even so-so T8 AA is positively monstrous vs. T6 planes, so the Ranger will be trading a fair number of planes to strike you, too. It's no wonder you were able to rack up a lot of plane kills between the two, if they were focusing you.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
28 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I always wondered if you take damage if a falling, smoking, burning plane hits your ship.

A plane from Kaga hit my Aoba yesterday. I can confirm it does not do damage.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,295 posts
11,826 battles
30 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

1 minute ago, WuYixiang said:

A plane from Kaga hit my Aoba yesterday. I can confirm it does not do damage.

This, it is just eye candy.

[DOG]
Members
358 posts
8,720 battles

ok, I've seen people complain when making comments about CVs having unlimited planes (and the response is along the lines of "L2P - that's not true, that's not the mechanics").

Just played a 7-8-9 game in my Seattle (shot down 62 planes, 66K plane damage, but only 23K ship damage on 47 hits with 540 shells fired - yes, long range and hard to hit those kinds of targets).  The two CVs on each side were Tier 8 (we faced an Enterprise - #1 and a KAGA #7 in the battle results).  Our whole team managed to shoot down a grand total of 226 airplanes. 

At WHAT point to CVs become deplaned? 

At NO time was I ever able to shoot at a CV (so they can have unlimited attempts to damage me and I have no opportunity to return fire). Heaven forbid if I DON'T make maneuvering a priority over all other ship combat when planes start attacking.  Worse than any torpedo beat (at least a DD has to wait a good minute or so to get a torp reload).