You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Discovering Atlanta

21 comments in this topic

Members
2,614 posts
9,805 battles

This thing is FUN!  I just recently got it in exchange for doubloons I got for turning in my (formerly) tier 7 premium CV.  I have to say it was a good trade.

Yp25JQG.jpg

• Cool 4

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,283 posts
22,489 battles

It's a difficult boat that can also be very rewarding. I had a good number of matches with a quite low number of damage but a good amount of XP and credits. Seems they build in a good multiplier for both.

She is perfect to dumb a 19 point Sauce captain in her and having fun.

Also: she isn't as fragile as she was when released. Ending the game with multiple turrets gone wasn't that rare.

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,183 posts
11,571 battles
2 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

This thing is FUN!  I just recently got it in exchange for doubloons I got for turning in my (formerly) tier 7 premium CV.  I have to say it was a good trade.

Yp25JQG.jpg

Yes indeed . I have had her since Closed Beta and still by a couple of hundred my most played ship .  However I think they really nerfed her AA as I always had her as a full speced  anti-air cruiser . I have gotten 62 plane kills with her twice and many , many times 30= before the CV rework . Now I am lucky to get 6 planes kills ;  sigh .

:Smile_honoring:

[HELLS]
Members
2,256 posts
21,328 battles
13 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

Yes indeed . I have had her since Closed Beta and still by a couple of hundred my most played ship .  However I think they really nerfed her AA as I always had her as a full speced  anti-air cruiser . I have gotten 62 plane kills with her twice and many , many times 30= before the CV rework . Now I am lucky to get 6 planes kills ;  sigh .

:Smile_honoring:

The planes avoid us like the plague.I wonder why???:Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

Members
2,614 posts
9,805 battles
17 minutes ago, Chien_Lu_Anderman said:

I have gotten 62 plane kills with her twice and many , many times 30= before the CV rework . Now I am lucky to get 6 planes kills ;  sigh .

I just got it, so all my games are post rework.  I feel that her AA power is more than adequate, I have 7.5 plane kills on average (that obviously includes battles without CVs) and most plane kills is 33.

[INTEL]
Members
10,638 posts
29,962 battles

Her AA got killed by the ReBork, sadly, so I stopped playing her, especially since I have Flint now. That boat is evil.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,818 posts
10,204 battles
15 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Her AA got killed by the ReBork, sadly, so I stopped playing her, especially since I have Flint now. That boat is evil.

While i dont have Flint, radar more rhan makes up for the lack of smoke imo; especially when most DDs will be using smoke to escape your 14 shell broadsides.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,664 posts
3 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

This thing is FUN! ...

I keep getting tempted to get this boat.  I've delayed the impulse since I have half the steel needed for Flint ... but ... all this constant talk of "fun" ... :cap_rambo:

Grats on your acquisition and a very good game!

Members
2,614 posts
9,805 battles
11 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I keep getting tempted to get this boat.  I've delayed the impulse since I have half the steel needed for Flint ... but ... all this constant talk of "fun" ... :cap_rambo:

Yeah I hear you.  I was tempted to get Atlanta forever, but was extremely reluctant to spend real money.  I had an opportunity to get Flint, but opted for Black instead (mainly because I own Belfast, I figured it's same tier and similar role).  But since I had doubloons from CV refund, and all these premium CVs flooded randoms - it was too good of a deal to pass up.

Beta Testers
252 posts
3,213 battles

Oh it can be fun.  I'd say the most negative aspects are, it's hard to land ranged shots at first with it's high arc; and the fact that if caught in the open, you will be focused fire.

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles
38 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

Beware.  It is very map dependent. You get a map with lots of islands and cover (like Neighbors) and you can terrorize the reds.  If you get stuck on a map with a lot of open water you will be back in port in no time.  Tier 9s love to farm you.

AFT  for range and IFHE for DPM are absolute musts.  Otherwise you will need to sail up right next to them and you might as well shake your fist at them for all the damage you will be able to do.  A 19 pointer is a prerequisite.

Having said that, when everything lines up she is a lot of fun.

[WOLF9]
Members
46 posts
10,374 battles

I got one and have to say I love it.  My ONLY issue with it, it seems to draw the attention of every ship on the other side, even from across the map (Coop).  If they can reach me, they will shoot.  Dang shooting wizards, over islands, through trees, in a snowstorm, and even UPHILL.  :)

[TDRB]
Members
2,982 posts
8,958 battles
5 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Yp25JQG.jpg

The Atlanta can be a fun ship. It's short range & non-existent armor are its weaknesses making play more like a DD than a cruiser. But can it pump out the shells as evident by the 424 hits you had. Missions requiring main battery hits are easily completed with an Atlanta.

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Her AA got killed by the ReBork, sadly, 

No kidding.

Came back from a 4 month break to see how the rework went.

The very 1st game I wanted to play was with my 19 pt full AA spec ATL.  I was excited to wreck some planes.

Imagine my disappointment.  

She is a shadow of her former self in the AA department. 

She was a no fly zone even against T9 CVs, now you can't even stop a T8 strike.

One of the very few premiums I have actually bought, extremely disappointed in the AA aspect of rework.

• Cool 1

Members
2,614 posts
9,805 battles
2 hours ago, Aeries1 said:

One of the very few premiums I have actually bought, extremely disappointed in the AA aspect of rework.

I respectfully disagree.  Everything needs to be evaluated in comparison to the rest of the ships in game.  In 30 games or so post rework, I have never lost one of main caliber turrets on Atlanta, probably in part due to having the corresponding module and PM captain skill.  She gets to retain both her primary AA armament and her infinite defensive AA consumable well into the end game.  Together with AA module, AFT and AR, she can provide better AA that most anything your team can field in the end game vs T8 CVs.  Ships like Missouri and Kutuzov only get to keep fraction of the AA that Atlanta can put out after being subjected to combat.  

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles
9 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

I respectfully disagree.  Everything needs to be evaluated in comparison to the rest of the ships in game.  In 30 games or so post rework, I have never lost one of main caliber turrets on Atlanta, probably in part due to having the corresponding module and PM captain skill.  She gets to retain both her primary AA armament and her infinite defensive AA consumable well into the end game.  Together with AA module, AFT and AR, she can provide better AA that most anything your team can field in the end game vs T8 CVs.  Ships like Missouri and Kutuzov only get to keep fraction of the AA that Atlanta can put out after being subjected to combat.  

Sure she keeps here main guns, no different than pre-rework.  In the current system continuous DPS is king and her 253 dps with skills and flag just don't cut it.  Those big flak damage numbers look impressive, but are ridiculously easy to avoid, even by average CV drivers.  I have only 30 games or so in the new CVs (Ranger) and even I can easily dodge them.  I have only been wiped by flak 3 times in those game and I suck in CVs, once by surprise from a DD (Aki) while I was tunnel visioned on another target.  The other 2 times were me intentionally plowing by planes into T8 AA blobs seeing if I could actually 1. get at least 1 strike off 2. if I could deplane myself.  I could still strike and I never had less than 2 strikes worth of a squad in any plane type even end game.  That's a problem.  Unless you have a group of ships filling all 5 zones with flak the only guy you are gonna knock down with it with any regularity is extremely bad players.

Atlanta used to be a 14.4 km diameter no fly zone even vs T9 planes, and she simply no longer is.  That was her schtik, in real life and in this game.  I now have less range to not only protect myself (with no way to boost it), but just as important to me, less range to protect my fleet.  I didn't buy her to put up massive damage numbers, though she is quite capable of it, she was bought to farm gallons of CV tears.  When I am anchored up next to a buddy New Orleans and with my full build, both of us on sector reinforce, both with DFAA running and an Enterprise can still come in and land 2 torps into me we have a problem.  So 11 pts of captain skill investment and a module on what used to be one of the fiercest AA platforms for tier in the game now can't even protect itself from +1 tier airpower?

I like what they did with the control side of the rework.  It is better than the rts we had before. Great job there.  They neutered AA captain skills however and the ability, if one chooses, to invest in skills and modules to turn planes into confetti.  AA skills and AA interaction still need a lot of work to get this rework right.

Edited by Aeries1
  • Cool 1

Members
2,614 posts
9,805 battles
1 hour ago, Aeries1 said:

Atlanta used to be a 14.4 km diameter no fly zone even vs T9 planes, and she simply no longer is.

As the saying goes, “in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king”.  AA changes affected all of the ships.  Atlanta manages to remain better deterrent vs CVs throughout the game than anything else in her tier.

[ARGSY]
Members
12,931 posts
8,245 battles
19 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

I just recently got it in exchange for doubloons I got for turning in my (formerly) tier 7 premium CV. 

I don't trade premium ships ever, but if you had to trade it, this was a good thing to get in return.

She is arguably the most useful premium ship I ever obtained. I was gifted mine, but I would have bought her sooner or later anyway. Unless I have a particular reason not to play cruisers (e.g. type-limited task), she is my go-to ship for fire, main gun or all-ribbons missions at mid tier. And even the torpedoes, short-range as they are, can get a few licks in now and then.

If you had to buy just ONE premium ship, the Atlanta is a strong contender.  

Members
2,614 posts
9,805 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't trade premium ships ever, but if you had to trade it, this was a good thing to get in return.

Normally, I would not trade premiums either.  But I traded both T7 premium CVs, because changing tier and exposing these to T10 was not a good deal for me.  If I had inclination to purchase premium T8 CV before rework, I would have kept it.  As it is, I traded one T7 CV for Midway with permacamo, and another for Atlanta.