You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Burnsy

I propose that:

22 comments in this topic

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,658 posts

The Massachusetts is the most fun BB. 

No it doesn't have the largest guns in the game but it has enough barrels, they hit hard enough and they are accurate enough.  They also have the reach to put the damage down where it is needed.

With premium consumables she can heal a whole bunch of health back in fairly short order, to see a firefight through. She has enough speed to get some of the best secondary fire in the game into action and let the shredding begin.  DDs beware.

While not the best AA in the game, it is sufficient to soften an air attack and make weaker squads think twice before diving in.

Finally, if you need to print close quarters combat achievements, none do it better.

What is your favorite BB?

[WOLF6]
[WOLF6]
Members
84 posts
2,755 battles

Of the few BB's I have in my port I'll have to say that my AZ is my favorite. Makes me wonder sometimes why I still hold on to the New Mexico.

[SALVO]
Members
21,707 posts
22,016 battles
48 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

No it doesn't have the largest guns in the game but it has enough barrels, they hit hard enough and they are accurate enough.  They also have the reach to put the damage down where it is needed.

With premium consumables she can heal a whole bunch of health back in fairly short order, to see a firefight through. She has enough speed to get some of the best secondary fire in the game into action and let the shredding begin.  DDs beware.

While not the best AA in the game, it is sufficient to soften an air attack and make weaker squads think twice before diving in.

Finally, if you need to print close quarters combat achievements, none do it better.

The only downside, IMO, to the Massachusetts is that to get the most out of it, you need a full secondary build captain, which is not a standard USN BB captain's build.  OTOH, if you have the Tirpitz and/or the Scharnhorst, you can put a full 19 point GK captain into either of those BBs and not miss a beat.

Does this make the Mass a bad or weak ship?  Hell no.  It's a fine tier 8 premium BB.  It just requires a non-standard battleship captain's build.  But what else is new?  There are other good premium ships in the game that have different requirements for an optimal captain than their line's normal captain's build.

Members
1,450 posts
10,444 battles

....hey good to see you on the forums, Burnsy....my fave of the battlewagons is the Scharnhorst....quick, deadly, sleek, and sexy....

[HINON]
Members
3,033 posts
22,008 battles

Mass is the only T8 prem I feel comfortable taking out into solo randoms. Love it. 

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,685 posts
3,560 battles

I see Massachsetts as an Alabama without a home. I'm still not sure how much into secondaries Iw ant to go. What build do you run on yours? IFHE? 

I forgot about that rapid reload heal, so I took. BFT over Superintendent. Waiting for a respec to change that one.

[ALL41]
Members
342 posts
8,382 battles

I'm looking forward to building a full-secondary Georgia, so my brawling 19-pt Mass captain has another bridge to play on.    :cap_rambo:

[WOLF9]
Members
10,233 posts
4,366 battles
1 hour ago, Tecelote said:

why I still hold on to the New Mexico.

Because she's a baaad bote!  Not the best, but oh so bad, especially with a full survivability build.

Current favorite is probably Alsace.

Edited by iDuckman

[SALVO]
Members
21,707 posts
22,016 battles
18 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

I see Massachsetts as an Alabama without a home. I'm still not sure how much into secondaries Iw ant to go. What build do you run on yours? IFHE? 

I forgot about that rapid reload heal, so I took. BFT over Superintendent. Waiting for a respec to change that one.

That's an interesting question, 1204.  There are so many subtly different ways that you could build a Massachusetts.  BFT is certainly nice for the secondary reload as well as the bump to AA, particularly given the CV environment, but as you point out, Superintendent could also be nice.  AFT seems important for the increased Sec gun range.  But there's also good things to be said for IFHE and DE, too.  There are just so many skills that could be useful for a Massachusetts secondary build captain.  And only so many you can take.

[A-D-F]
3,658 posts
39 minutes ago, _1204_ said:

Untitled.png

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles

One that pops his DC on the first fire.

If I had to pick one to play, it's the Hood.

Edited by crzyhawk

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
4,621 posts
15,905 battles

Bismark, Alsace, and Republique are also great secondary build ships.

My favorite is Republique,  making cruisers and destroyers regret being within 10.7 is priceless. 

[WOLF9]
Members
46 posts
10,362 battles

Montana ...  I got my Monty about 6 weeks ago and ground for the legendary and a 19 pt captain.  In Coop I one-salvoed Yamato (twice so far) and got within 500 points of getting a one salvo on Musashi (less than 1000 hp left).  I was amazed.  And it can take a beating too.

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles

Even though BBs are by far my weakest class, I'd really like to get the Massachusetts at some point. Those secondaries look like a hoot.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles
8 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

Even though BBs are by far my weakest class, I'd really like to get the Massachusetts at some point. Those secondaries look like a hoot.

Georgia looks like it's going to be an "Iowa with 457mm x6 guns, Mass Secondaries, 33kt speed like Iowa, and Engine Boost."

A criticism I have with Massachusetts as a brawler is that she only goes 27kts.  That's fine if you're imposing your will on some 21kt lower tier BB, but the High Tier BBs are pretty fast.  30kts is the norm, even Montana goes 30kts.  I never let a Mass dictate the fight when I played my High Tier BBs.  If I didn't want to fight at Secondaries range than I simply didn't let a 27kt BB catch up.  Easy.

Georgia is different.  It has Iowa speed and that alone makes it scary if it has 457mm guns and Massachusetts Secondaries.  They're even giving her Engine Boost...

Of course, this is all still a "Work in Progress" ship and it can easily change a lot.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,613 posts
9,799 battles
6 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Giulio Cesare.

Most balanced :BB: in game :cap_haloween:

Edited by Ramsalot

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,632 battles

So you got me thinking.  Which would I enjoy more... a fully secondary spec Tirpitz or Massachusetts.  So I spent a few doubloons and tried it out.

Tirpitz...

8j9095U.jpg

Massachusetts

ITCh1a0.jpg

For pure fun the Massachusetts won hands down.  It wasn't the win/loss thing, but the dispersion on the Tipitz was just so awful that it just frustrated me.

Of course, this helped swing the decision in favour of the Massachusetts...

Nc5bcl5.jpg

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,550 battles
6 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Its the ship I've played the most and probably my best performing.  I have a blast in the ship.  It also holds my single game base xp record at 4434.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,550 battles
35 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

For pure fun the Massachusetts won hands down.  It wasn't the win/loss thing, but the dispersion on the Tipitz was just so awful that it just frustrated me.

The tirpitz main battery is just such a drag.  My stats in the tirpitz are "good" across the board, but I average 30k more damage in the Mass B.

Members
1,341 posts
3,206 battles
4 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Georgia looks like it's going to be an "Iowa with 457mm x6 guns, Mass Secondaries, 33kt speed like Iowa, and Engine Boost."

A criticism I have with Massachusetts as a brawler is that she only goes 27kts.  That's fine if you're imposing your will on some 21kt lower tier BB, but the High Tier BBs are pretty fast.  30kts is the norm, even Montana goes 30kts.  I never let a Mass dictate the fight when I played my High Tier BBs.  If I didn't want to fight at Secondaries range than I simply didn't let a 27kt BB catch up.  Easy.

Georgia is different.  It has Iowa speed and that alone makes it scary if it has 457mm guns and Massachusetts Secondaries.  They're even giving her Engine Boost...

Of course, this is all still a "Work in Progress" ship and it can easily change a lot.

Well that sounds extremely amusing.