Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
QQ_Whine_Moar

Kaga Advice?

5 comments in this topic

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,678 battles

Just won her in a crate. Any tips would be appreciated.

[CAFE]
Members
1,726 posts
12,446 battles

Never use rockets and Start TBs. DBs are really good so follow up flood DCP with DB fires.

When bottom tier, dump all planes except last attack so you don’t lose your entire squad. You have a ton of planes but you can be deplaned quite easily when bottom tier if you are not careful. 

• Cool 2

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,469 battles

I always cycle my planes (1,2,3,1,2,3) to ensure I have full flights, and to ensure I have enough of the "right" planes to deal with any sneaky buggers who get to close.  I always start with rocket planes, they are the fastest, and can deal with a DD if I come across one.  They can also get out of AA quicker.  They make good early spotters.  TB's followed by DB's when you find a target to hit.

Kaga is a tier 8 carrier with tier 7 planes and tier 12 capacity.  On the loading screen, look at enemy ship AA ratings, japanese and German ships tend to have lower AA ratings, and the US tends to have the best.  Brits and Russians are in between.  Note the ships with lower AA ratings and try to find them, or failing that, find a lone ship on the flanks, preferably non US, and attack it.  Spot DD's to help your team eliminate them, and don't be too reckless with your planes.  Pick skills and modules that speed up plane replenishment and plane speed, HP, and armor.  I go for bomber hp buff for the module slot, because they spend more time in AA.

That's about it, then lots of practice.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,310 posts
5,249 battles

Play it safe and pick your targets very carefully in the early game, don't be afraid to pre-drop a time or two to save planes. At the same time don't be afraid to sacrifice planes if you need to kill a high-AA priority target, you have reserves. Your torps are going to be your biggest damage dealers, followed by dive bombing. Always remember that these are HE bombs, not AP like the IJN line. If you find a juicy target that's all alone do not be afraid to focus the living crap out of them. Spam TBs and DBs at that ship until it is dead. Will people hate you for it? Yes, but that's their problem. You are Kaga, you can't hear them over all the planes you have on-deck.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,820 posts
30,257 battles

Also it never hurts to drop ships in smoke. With 4 torps per drop your chances of a hit aren’t bad. I’ll often drop my first flight on a DD on my way to something bigger. 

Learn which ships are no-fly zones and which you can hit. The AA numbers are just a starting point and don’t seem to reflect all upgrades or all captain skills. For example, I’ve run into Fletchers with identical AA ratings but very different effects on my planes. 

And remember that the more HE hits a ship takes, the more AA mounts it loses. A full health North Carolina will eat your planes and call for more.  Late game at 1/4 HP may be a different story. 

Finally, Kaga needs to worry about catapult fighters because of low plane HP. If you see a plane going up as you start your approach, turn away if you can.  If not, drop farther out and speed away the best you can. Catapult fighters don’t last long anymore, so a little patience helps. 

Sign in to follow this