You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

British and IJN cv have no defence from DD?

15 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts

I have all the US ans really love em. 

Got the t8 British and all the IJN but I have a hard time with dd and making an impact for the win

With US I know I can hold my own and crest the win. But with British and IJN it seams like you just hoping you win.

Is anyone elsles finding this out? And what would this say about Enterprise?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,338 posts
11,846 battles

No CV has any real defense from surface ship attack other than being somewhere else.

[KSD]
Members
61 posts
13,500 battles

The rockets on both the IJN and RN CVs are more than sufficient in dealing with DDs. The ones on the Enterprise in my opinion are the best rockets in the game for dealing with DDs - combining amount of rockets and the fact that it has 12 planes instead of the standard 9.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles
55 minutes ago, Addison_Wang said:

The rockets on both the IJN and RN CVs are more than sufficient in dealing with DDs. The ones on the Enterprise in my opinion are the best rockets in the game for dealing with DDs - combining amount of rockets and the fact that it has 12 planes instead of the standard 9.

Lexington in the same tier is better with rockets.  Not just for HVAR and Tiny Tim options.  Not just that HVAR does a bit more damage.  Lexi's HVARs penetrate 32mm of armor while FFARs do only 27mm, which is a big deal with some of the heavier armor they encounter.

Both Enterprise and Lexington have 3 planes to an attack flight.  However:

Enterprise Hellcats:  3 planes per attack flight, 6 FFARs per plane, 18 total max rockets.

Lexington Corsairs:  3 planes per attack flight, 8 HVARs per plane, 24 total max rockets.

If you want to do HVAR options with Tier X Midway for the F8 Bearcats:

Midway Bearcats:  3 planes per attack flight, 10 HVARs per plane, 30 total max rockets.

Midway also still retains ability to go with Tiny Tims for her Bearcats if the player chooses.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[YGGD]
Beta Testers
2,660 posts
22,104 battles
2 hours ago, jags_domain said:

I have all the US ans really love em. 

Got the t8 British and all the IJN but I have a hard time with dd and making an impact for the win

With US I know I can hold my own and crest the win. But with British and IJN it seams like you just hoping you win.

Is anyone elsles finding this out? And what would this say about Enterprise?

If you're a DD player you best be cautious when encountering a Graff Zeppelin I had to run for my survival against that thing once when playing a DD the hunter became the hunted with the Zepps guns hitting me left and right ……….    

[SOV]
Members
2,918 posts
2 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

If you're a big brain player, IJN TBs with TA can nail DDs pretty hard.

You can still cross drop if you know how. Hitting DD is another story. I have had a few but its more guess than skill or maybe the other way around!

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles

I find RN rocket planes so slow and their rocket fire so RNG dependent as to be very poor against DD. Yes, you can defend against a DD but it takes a massive investment of time and dice rolls. It's a similar story for the 'carpet bombers'.

The armoured carriers don't seem to get much benefit from their armour against DD (though I guess they didn't model the armoured hangars - only the deck and belt).

And despite being given heavy anti-DD gun armaments (8x twin 4.5in guns, the mounts of which could fire over the deck for a full broadside of 16 guns), 'balanz' means their range - despite being mounted higher with higher director towers than DDs - is entirely ineffectual.

But, hey: when I'm driving my DD I want some reward for running the gauntlet to get behind the enemy's lines and finding their carrier exposed. So the 'Balanz' is fine, even if it goes 'counter flavour' to what I know of RN design doctrine.

It's just a shame that the RN carriers get the deficiencies generated by these design choices - not the benefit. They get smaller air groups etc.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,558 posts
10,707 battles

I play and love the t8 RN CV. I do rather well-hunting dds in the start and in defense of my self. The rockets are probably the best of the three nations for dealing with DDs, The lack of DB that most usn use to kill dds is not much of an issue tbh. If you have to use level bombers the trick is to lead ahead way ahead and anticipate the movement, even then its kind meh getting 1 or 2 hits will not have an impact like USN dbs.

You can not expect to have everything be Identical in terms of cv's and as stated IJN rockets do fine. Just practice more.

• Cool 1

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles
2 hours ago, The_Chiv said:

I play and love the t8 RN CV. I do rather well-hunting dds in the start and in defense of my self. The rockets are probably the best of the three nations for dealing with DDs, The lack of DB that most usn use to kill dds is not much of an issue tbh. If you have to use level bombers the trick is to lead ahead way ahead and anticipate the movement, even then its kind meh getting 1 or 2 hits will not have an impact like USN dbs.

You can not expect to have everything be Identical in terms of cv's and as stated IJN rockets do fine. Just practice more.

I guess it is an RNG thing

1,558 posts
10,707 battles
2 hours ago, HMS_Formidable said:

I guess it is an RNG thing

The trick is to aim at nose and hull getting 6 hits is like 7k damage to most dds at t8 thats near half, do that 3 times you have a pretty pissed off dd player. Mind you that is not always possible but getting 10k per run is very reasonable. You may not kill it but you can sure make sure the rest of your team does. Its one of the ways I as a CV can keep in the top 3. DD damage pays out better for base xp and credits. 

One last tip when you spot a dd don't try to hard turn on it get about 4km away then turn and use your speed braking "s: key. a bit to line up the angle better it helps a ton once you get the hang of it. You can do a hard turn and s brake once you initiate attack but the results have been less than stellar, but as a whole the longer you keep the dd spotted the more hell he will suffer from your team.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles
12 hours ago, The_Chiv said:

The trick is to aim at nose and hull getting 6 hits is like 7k damage to most dds at t8 thats near half, do that 3 times you have a pretty pissed off dd player. Mind you that is not always possible but getting 10k per run is very reasonable. You may not kill it but you can sure make sure the rest of your team does. Its one of the ways I as a CV can keep in the top 3. DD damage pays out better for base xp and credits. 

One last tip when you spot a dd don't try to hard turn on it get about 4km away then turn and use your speed braking "s: key. a bit to line up the angle better it helps a ton once you get the hang of it. You can do a hard turn and s brake once you initiate attack but the results have been less than stellar, but as a whole the longer you keep the dd spotted the more hell he will suffer from your team.

Yeah, it's those six hits that are the 'thing'.

It's the complete helplessness one feels when you do a good drop - the bombs land as the crosshair's over the heart of the destroyer/cruiser - and you get no hits. They burst in front, behind, and to either side of the destroyer/cruiser. 

It's exactly the same for rockets.

For me, this happens too often. Not always. Often. Often enough to make me think twice about actually attacking destroyers.

Maybe it's a Ping thing? Most likely a dice-roll, though.

Unlike a torpedo. Or a armour-piercing bomb that lands where the crosshairs fall.

I understand this would be a feature of 'carpet bombing'.

But it does substantially reduce the reliable effectiveness of the carpet bombs, limiting them to lightly deck-armoured battleships and unarmoured aircraft carriers for reliable impact.

And I'm sure DD drivers like having a less effective carrier opponent.

I, however, would like some form of compensation for this ... like more effective secondaries, modelled hangar armour - for example.

[-TNT-]
Members
745 posts
12,061 battles

Had a HMS Lighting tried to punk me in my Audacious.  So I sent attack planes that set fire on him which he quickly repaired.  On the second past I knocked out his steering gears which forced him to smoke up.  Knowing the limited duration of his smoke, I got DBs in time to punish him some more once his smoke it ended.   

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
5,199 battles

I don't deny it happens. I also have landed six hits on a destroyer once or twice.

I'm stating that it is largely RNG dependent, not  skill.

And that rate of RNG dependence makes me seriously question the value of such attacks given the time invested in each strike. 

Investment versus return.

I'm prepared to invest in my skill (or lack thereof)

I'm not prepared to invest in a RNG gamble.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,320 posts
5,270 battles

Well in a pinch even AP dive bomb overpens can be useful, and it may take some doing but RN level bombing can land some decent hits.

That said, I won't deny that destroyers in general can be a pain to deal with for these ships. The British at least get a decent number of RP-3s on their planes that are almost as good as same-tier FFARs or HVARs, but those Japanese planes just get a pathetic number of rockets even considering the damage they do. Six per plane at tier 10, wow. Meanwhile Midway is over here with 10 HVARs per Bearcat, and Audacious has a hilarious FOURTEEN on each Wyvern.

It's gotten to the point that in my tier 8 and 10 carriers my nemesis has become the Shimakaze. If one of those little &%$@s is willing to flank and try for a CV snipe there's pretty much nothing you can do until it's too late. Your first sign that something is wrong will be FIFTEEN fish headed straight for you at 72 knots.