You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
misanthrope0

CV Nation Recommendation

8 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
971 posts
6,664 battles

I just got both a Kaga and Enterprise from crate drops and I have been practicing in COOP and Training rooms. look to start with a Nations entry level CV to get a better feel for playing live. I'm partial to the British even though I don't really have a extra 19 point Captain to work with.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,237 posts
15,711 battles

If I had to play a nations Carrier line, I would pick the British because their Level Carpet Bombers are way easier to use than Dive Bombers of other Nations.
Thankfully I don't have to play any nations Carrier line. 

:cap_cool:

Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,638 posts
41 minutes ago, misanthrope0 said:

I just got both a Kaga and Enterprise from crate drops and I have been practicing in COOP and Training rooms. look to start with a Nations entry level CV to get a better feel for playing live. I'm partial to the British even though I don't really have a extra 19 point Captain to work with.

That really depends. USN are good all purpose but the RN line has some very nice features too. If you already like the RN CVs, stick with them.

38 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

If I had to play a nations Carrier line, I would pick the British because their Level Carpet Bombers are way easier to use than Dive Bombers of other Nations.
Thankfully I don't have to play any nations Carrier line. 

:cap_cool:

They might seem easier at a glance, but that's deceptive. Dive bombers have a much higher capacity for making corrections against a maneuvering enemy. Of course, getting the first prediction right at the start of the run can be tricky to get the hang of.

[SYJ]
Members
207 posts
9,568 battles

As far as ease of use to effectiveness in game ratio goes:

Easy: Royal Navy
Torps are the easiest to use, and have relatively quick "aim" even while planes are in a turn
Bombers are also straight forwards, kind of like rocket planes, but not quite
"Tanky" planes with "moderate" speed  and somewhat lower number of planes in a squadron and on deck reserve.
Torps as primary source of damage, Bombs and Rockets are for starting fires mostly

Normal: USN
Torps are a bit harder to use the RN
Dive Bombers have a bit of a learning curve and can be tricky against some types ships.
Reasonably tough planes with moderate speed  and larger squadrons and on deck reserves.
Dive bombers  are primary source of damage, with good Rockets and  good to "OK" torps.

[H]ard: IJN
Fast hard hitting torps, but have a larger penalty when making adjustments
AP Dive Bombers have a learning curve that looks more like a cliff
Fast planes with "low" health and "average" sized squadrons and on deck reserve
Torps are primary source of damage with AP bombs being good against select targets, Rockets are only for use when you are out of the first two options or an enemy destroyer is rushing your flat top.

[TIPS]
[TIPS]
Beta Testers
144 posts
2,469 battles

If you’re thinking about just IJN or US, I’d go the US route.  Kaga is the only IJN CV with HE bombs, just like Enterprise is the only US CV with AP bombs (which behave differently from IJN AP bombs).  US strength lies in its dive bombers, although I had a game last night in the Enterprise where I had 99 rocket hits on targets.  US rocket planes, until you mount tiny tims, launch a butt ton of rockets at targets, and are great for DD’s.

UK CV’s are the easiest to use, US have the most utility, and IJN have stealthy torpedo bombers, so can get big damage numbers, if specced right.  The Kaga tends to be an outlier for the IJN, because of the HE bombs and the lower tier planes.  

[ANK-A]
Members
56 posts
7,703 battles

Whatever you do dont level the Hak, It is beyond horrible. I cant tell you how many times Ive had a perfect lineup on a parked cruiser only to have the AP bombs go everywhere except the target. The torp planes are pretty decent but a competent cruiser can easily dodge at least 1 of them. On BBs they can be pretty easy to land it just takes 20 passes to actually kill them. The rocket planes are beyond garbage they just die to DD AA.

Members
721 posts

If I had to pick one for a first dip into CV, id go USN HE bombs are much easier to use.  The USN line is good all around with nice fighters/db/and tb.  Enterprise is also a great way to get used to CV gameplay.