You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

Is it just me or are low tier AA gimmick ships now basically immune to carriers.

23 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
634 posts
1,694 battles

Low level ships, generally premium, with an AA gimmick like October Revolution or Texas, are basically immune to tier IV carriers. 

I know people are down on carriers right now, but it seems pretty crappy to be able to just play these ships and not have to deal with an entire ship type.

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
833 posts
26,642 battles

A T4 CV should definitely not try to jump one of those 2 lol, you have plenty of other targets to go after; anything at T3 just about has only pistols for AA.

Beta Testers
634 posts
1,694 battles
7 minutes ago, Roadrider7021 said:

A T4 CV should definitely not try to jump one of those 2 lol, you have plenty of other targets to go after; anything at T3 just about has only pistols for AA.

My last game had two October Revolutions left at the end and our side had 1 BB and two tier IV carriers. There was absolutely nothing we could do to help the BB. 

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1,907 battles
8 minutes ago, Roadrider7021 said:

Don't forget that Yubari has DFAA as well.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
516 posts
20,287 battles

The only way to hit an Okt. Rev. in a tier 4 carrier is to drop a torp outside it's AA range and hope it doesn't turn. And don't plan on getting your plane back.

[MPYRE]
Beta Testers
1,730 posts
8,821 battles

In my experience on both ends of the equation, they are nowhere near immune to carriers.  If the CV wants to strike them they can get at least one drop off.   Whether the CV should or wants to drop them is a different story however.

Despite the AA gimmick that some of the low tier premiums have, there are very few of them that have well rounded AA.  Yuubari for example has DefAA and fairly long range AA for tier, but lacks in # of flak bubbles and continuous damage until they hit her short range aura.  If you manage to land flak you should probably be packing for Vegas.  Exeter has excellent flak coverage for medium and long, but her lack of DefAA and meaningful short range AA leaves her at the mercy of the flak RNG more often than you would like.  Texas and October probably are the best AA premiums, since they're strength is in auras with high continuous damage.  But both of them also lack AA range, so the CV doesn't have to worry about them unless they're the last ships alive.

Overall though, the tier 4 CVs probably don't want to attack anybody with any sort of AA since their reserves are practically nonexistent.  But between cold dropping and smart play, very few AA ships at the low/mid tiers are completely immune to attack.  It isn't till bofors start to show up in numbers that ships gain continuous damage and reasonable flak in the same aura.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,263 posts
6,894 battles

The Yubari is the definition of a low tier AA gimmick ship.

It is not immune.

[KNMSU]
Members
6,130 posts
6,369 battles

It's just you. Yubari has basically been turned into a joke; PEF, which had a window to shine of all of two weeks, has no better AA now than a Warspite.

But, seriously: whine on, carrier players - this is clearly your moment to occupy center stage, screaming absurdities at the top of your lungs.

I'm just not obligated to clap.

tumblr_oy8kjj7d0Z1qmob6ro1_400.gif

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
634 posts
1,694 battles
12 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

In my experience on both ends of the equation, they are nowhere near immune to carriers.  If the CV wants to strike them they can get at least one drop off.   Whether the CV should or wants to drop them is a different story however.

Despite the AA gimmick that some of the low tier premiums have, there are very few of them that have well rounded AA.  Yuubari for example has DefAA and fairly long range AA for tier, but lacks in # of flak bubbles and continuous damage until they hit her short range aura.  If you manage to land flak you should probably be packing for Vegas.  Exeter has excellent flak coverage for medium and long, but her lack of DefAA and meaningful short range AA leaves her at the mercy of the flak RNG more often than you would like.  Texas and October probably are the best AA premiums, since they're strength is in auras with high continuous damage.  But both of them also lack AA range, so the CV doesn't have to worry about them unless they're the last ships alive.

Overall though, the tier 4 CVs probably don't want to attack anybody with any sort of AA since their reserves are practically nonexistent.  But between cold dropping and smart play, very few AA ships at the low/mid tiers are completely immune to attack.  It isn't till bofors start to show up in numbers that ships gain continuous damage and reasonable flak in the same aura.

I should mention that I'm playing Hermes, so....that probably exacerbates the situation.

Beta Testers
634 posts
1,694 battles
5 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

It's just you. Yubari has basically been turned into a joke; PEF, which had a window to shine of all of two weeks, has no better AA now than a Warspite.

But, seriously: whine on, carrier players - this is clearly your moment to occupy center stage, screaming absurdities at the top of your lungs.

I'm just not obligated to clap.

LOL, carrier players, you might want to look at stats before you make that kind of generalization. I have less than 20 games in carriers.

I was just pointing out something that seems to break the balance for new players. it wasn't an issue when nobody played carriers but now that they are really pushing carriers to players, it doesn't work well. This kind of thing killed the new player experience for WoT, I hope this kind of thing doesn't for WoWs since it's overall a much better game.

[R-F]
Members
1,510 posts
8,773 battles

I mean, there are ships in the game that have LITERALLY ZERO AA and those ships can see carriers.  So... AA-death ships seems fair.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
45 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

It's just you.

9 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

You all are hilarious tonight :cap_haloween:

Beta Testers
634 posts
1,694 battles
1 minute ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I mean, there are ships in the game that have LITERALLY ZERO AA and those ships can see carriers.  So... AA-death ships seems fair.

Good point I suppose.

[RKLES]
Members
9,585 posts
11,483 battles
39 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

The only way to hit an Okt. Rev. in a tier 4 carrier is to drop a torp outside it's AA range and hope it doesn't turn. And don't plan on getting your plane back.

You can also strafe the target with rockets to destroy some AA mounts. A few rocket attacks later you should be able to more safely do other attacks.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,363 posts
11,875 battles
56 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Yeah but it is no a total no fly zone to a tier 4 CV like the two the OP mentioned. I have found that boosting in with torpedo bombers and even attack fighters works the best against higher tier ships with AA strong enough to be a problem but not as strong as those two and don't try for the second attack.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,594 posts
10,729 battles
1 hour ago, Prkl8r said:

Low level ships, generally premium, with an AA gimmick like October Revolution or Texas, are basically immune to tier IV carriers. 

I know people are down on carriers right now, but it seems pretty crappy to be able to just play these ships and not have to deal with an entire ship type.

Hmmm a t5 ship with good aa that negates a t4 cv....SHOCKER. 

But in all truth when it comes to ships like these no matter what the tier you are gonna have to depend more on your team to soften up the aa before you can hope to attack them. 

Also if you think that's bad wait till you meet the rest of the US cruiser fleet later on.

• Funny 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
12 hours ago, mavfin87 said:

Yubari's AA is mostly 25mm.  It's revenge AA, but it makes kills.

[CSALT]
Members
1,001 posts
12 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

The Gallant resembles that remark, lol.

[CSALT]
Members
1,001 posts
12 hours ago, Prkl8r said:

Yet take those same two battleships againat a Tier VI carrier and they are floating meatballs.

Also, at the end of the match, significant portions of a ship's AA has been removed by damage.  A ship you avoid at the beginning of the battle is a vulnerable target at the end.  CVs can still cap amd keep those BBs safely spotted so your BB can stealth fire.

Members
2,620 posts
9,815 battles
13 hours ago, Prkl8r said:

You found the worst case AA scenario for T4 carrier and complain about having some ship that is immune to CVs?  

Try going against Kutuzov in any T6 CV, or going against Minotaur in any T8 CV, and then come back and talk about low tier “immunity”.

What you are experiencing is AA/CV tier disparity, and it only gets worse with tiers, trust me T4 does not have it that bad due to never seeing +2 MM (you will never run into fighters from T6 CV) and generally very crappy AA they face.  So you should not worry about low tier AA, really.

Edited by Ramsalot

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,937 battles

Back when there were bot CVs in PvE the Yubari was a refreshing  change from the Kuma. At last you could do something other than just dodge.  

[SYN]
Members
15,355 posts
12,506 battles

I think it's only fair, given that those two get totally shat on by T6 bombers.