You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
nastydamnanimal

Custom Ship Sandbox

26 comments in this topic

[KW]
Members
600 posts

Let us make our own ships!?

What do youzz think about that awesomeness?

Pow pow pow 

Ps dont hand me that this is history crap .. no disrespect 

Pow pow pow ping ping pow

Edited by nastydamnanimal
Cause I can and I will
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[-RNG-]
Supertester
2,693 posts
3,560 battles

15 quadruple 460mm turrets on a Harugumo hull:Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,937 battles

Maybe something a little less ambitious, start with a hull and add guns torp launchers, pick the torp type and other modules from a menu rather like we do now with captain skills. 

[DAS]
Members
601 posts
5,591 battles

I played a plane game many years ago (don't ask what it was called because I don't remember) and it was kind of WW2 oriented. It let you pick a frame and after that choose engine, guns, armor, etc.

It was a lot of fun and I don't see why it couldn't work for warships. I want to make a BB with Atlanta guns but twice as many, or a DD with 1 18 inch gun. THE FUN! THE FUN!

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
771 posts
3,287 battles
2 hours ago, epojokke said:

I played a plane game many years ago (don't ask what it was called because I don't remember) and it was kind of WW2 oriented. It let you pick a frame and after that choose engine, guns, armor, etc.

It was a lot of fun and I don't see why it couldn't work for warships. I want to make a BB with Atlanta guns but twice as many, or a DD with 1 18 inch gun. THE FUN! THE FUN!

Are you referring to Simple Planes?

[WOLFG]
Members
6,005 posts
3,866 battles

In a game where people find exploits and min/max all the time?

What would WG do when someone built the most WTH IS THAT OP monstrosity?

Would they nerf it, ban it?

The forums would be awesome for about three days, but the salt would last forever.

[BS]
Members
1,647 posts
8,500 battles

I've actually had this idea too. The community will find new and balanced ship concepts due to the sheer volume of work that would be done by experimenting. If the devs decide to use a community made ship and sell it, they could compensate the creator with doubloons or in store credit.

EJ

• Cool 1

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles

Seriously though they could come up with some basic "science" parameters to base it on.  Power to weight ratio, balance, overall tonnage on the hull, etc...  

Example1:  Yamato hull + engines + Wooster turrets = no problems ( and an awesome friggin HE nightmare!!!)

Example 2: Wooster hull + engines + yamato guns = ship capsizes after 1st shot (lol) or it only goes 5 knots due to power to weight problems and has a rate of fire of .5 rounds per minute because the turrets are so unruly on that ship

Just off the cuff thoughts on examples of how they could "BaLAnSe" the ships out

[DAS]
Members
601 posts
5,591 battles
58 minutes ago, destawaits said:

Are you referring to Simple Planes?

Based on the photos I just googles, no it isn't.

[NPG]
Members
137 posts
2,882 battles
3 hours ago, epojokke said:

Naval ops warship gunner and warship gunner 2. You was limited by space in hull and weight. Wonderful game and I wish someone would make something like it again. 

[ARMDG]
[ARMDG]
Members
771 posts
3,287 battles
12 minutes ago, JakeTheSeaSnake said:

Just play From the Depths :cap_book:

4 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

See Rule the Waves and Rule the Waves 2 for this type of game...

Nice; thanks for the recommendations. A sandbox like what OP is describing would be another game entirely.

[H_]
Members
2,440 posts

And, we wonder why WoWs is slipping down the slippery slope of WW2-esk games......  Oh Boy......

I want a Super-sized IJN I-400 that can launch and recover 12 planes, maintains a 52 AA capability and has all of her 6 torpedo tubes.........  There, a Super-Sub Carrier with an attitude...

Edited by Asym_KS

[POP]
Members
66 posts
10,254 battles

A model where you have X amount of build points to spend to custom build your ship. Every component, guns, engine, armor etc  costs a part of X, You can pick and choose which components to  build the ship to complement your game play style  until you used all of your Allocated build points for construction. 

Each tier you start with the bare hull of your desired ship type and that tiers build point total available to "buy" components  , then build out your ship from a selection of components . Ships could be built balanced or heavy to one item and light to the another

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
12,968 posts
8,267 battles

The China Server does some pretty crazy stuff (I was watching Farazelleth last night; if he is to be believed it still has RTS carriers), but I think we would need a "What the...."  server to cope with what some people would put out.

Build-your-own-ship is actually what my 9-year-old lad wanted from the game. I don't blame him; I want it too.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
562 posts
2,550 battles
14 hours ago, nastydamnanimal said:

Let us make our own ships!?

What do youzz think about that awesomeness?

Pow pow pow 

Ps dont hand me that this is history crap .. no disrespect 

Pow pow pow ping ping pow

Sigh...It seems like a good idea for each tier to give you "points" to flesh out a build however you want, but you are on crack if you don't think people would bust out some insanely annoying troll builds.  I can already see some butthole rolling around in a battleship hull with Wooster guns and radar.

I would be more fine with it if when you selected a hull (BB, CA, CL, DD etc.) you were limited on your armament to stuff for that type.  Hpwever, i already forsee there would be best builds for type and you would not see nearly the variety you would think.

Edited by Taco_De_Moist

[TARK]
Members
3,319 posts
1,438 battles
1 hour ago, nastydamnanimal said:

Maybe some of you remember Blizzards Warcraft battle chest? Great game a bit dated now 25plus years maybe but the devs allowed the players to sandbox it. That decision kept it relevant and resulting in what is still among the most popular and successful games on steam (Dota 2) 

Just goes to show what can happen when you give players some free rein.

Pow pow 

Yes, but there are other games that do the concept much better than WG would...

WG doesnt want that market...

[XBRTC]
Members
2,881 posts
9,089 battles
13 hours ago, Vengeance said:

Naval ops warship gunner and warship gunner 2. You was limited by space in hull and weight. Wonderful game and I wish someone would make something like it again. 

I saw a thing a while back where they're remastering it for PS4. 

edit: found a link to the reveal video. no idea on timeline or anything.  https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31474522

Edited by LT_Rusty_SWO

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,937 battles

I was thinking just simple things to start, like Yahagi with Mogami triple 155mm turrets, 16 km torps and if some 40mm twin or quad AA found their way aboard. ....

[CAP]
Members
50 posts
10,772 battles

This would have to have its own game mode but it could be interesting and breath some more variety into the game.  Each troll build would/could have a counter troll build.  Many are really enjoying Torpbeat mode and asking for it to be made available year round. It would rock to have some "real" customization choices other than "this mod is always the best" we have now.  They could even make a mission/credit sink out of it.

[NPG]
Members
137 posts
2,882 battles
18 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

I saw a thing a while back where they're remastering it for PS4. 

edit: found a link to the reveal video. no idea on timeline or anything.  https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm31474522

Hopefully they also release it on PC. Not really going to buy a console just for one game.

Members
3,642 posts
3,938 battles

If simulator physics were a thing, would be interesting to see what having Yamato guns would do to a Campbeltown. Would the turret fly off? Would the bow snap right off? Would the ship be pushed aside in the water? What would happen if you fired both sides at once to balance the recoil? 

[PVE]
Beta Testers
322 posts
4,071 battles

Replace all of Yamato AAA on the side with torpedo launchers .....