You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Retnav54

A 40 Knot Iowa?

50 comments in this topic

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,105 posts
8,759 battles

Perusing the Dev Blog on changes to the RU BB's, came across the notes about the changes to the Georgia -

Reducing the main gun range, and shifting emphasis to being a medium to close range ship. Okay, I'm down with that.

Kicking up secondary range to 7.5 km and reducing reload to 4 seconds, basically giving it Massachusetts secondarys. Now it's getting interesting.

Reducing the cooldown on the heal to 60/40, again basically a Massachusetts heal. Yep, you guys are definitely setting it up to be a brawler.

Adding in a 15% Engine Boost consumable........

:Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ????????

Doing the maths, 15% Engine Boost and a 5% speed flag on top of that, applied to a 33 knot base max speed, works out to 39.84 knots.....

A 40 knot Iowa class BB with 18 inch guns and Massachusetts secondarys and heal......

Ummmm, did you guys buy out the rights to Navyfield? Or did they just forget to hide the key to the vodka cabinet again?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 4

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,457 posts
12,810 battles

It's not an Iowa.  It's a design study, that means they can fiddle with it a lot more.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
9 minutes ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Is that with a speed flag or can I add that to push it over 40 knots? 

Maybe they need the CGN California class in game...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
2,194 posts
5,726 battles

Now it can chase down some of the DDs with its blistering secondaries lol

[FTH]
Members
955 posts
13,733 battles

I just wish they'd tell us what it will cost so we know what to save...coal, fxp?

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,541 posts
12,365 battles

Defining the term fast battleship to a whole new level.

[CSALT]
Members
922 posts
1 hour ago, Vader_Sama said:

Now it can chase down some of the DDs with its blistering secondaries lol

My 50 knot DD laughs at your zimmerframe speed!!!

40knots in a BB.  I can see the leather jackets and sunglasses on the Captains now.  Next thing you know they'll be painting matchbox hotrod flames on the bow, tassles streaming from the bridge wings, and have cards flipping in the props!!!!!!

:cap_viking:

• Cool 4

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,436 posts
20,958 battles
16 minutes ago, neptunes_wrath said:

yTTTiJT.gif

Take the Cannoli Leave the gun 

[DAS]
Members
453 posts
5,151 battles
3 hours ago, Retnav54 said:

A 40 knot Iowa class BB with 18 inch guns and Massachusetts secondarys and heal......

Not on my watch!

[S_C_N]
Beta Testers
235 posts
1,319 battles

"All these real life Capitalist ships, we'll make glorious Soviet fantasy nonsense, just like WOT's Objects. Don't want to make little Igor sad!"

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,457 posts
12,810 battles

To be fair, I have seen a few times, that Wisconsin /did/ touch 39 knots, although it was in shallow water which allows for greater speed.  The fastest sustained speed an Iowa has gotten officially, is 35 knots from the Jersey in 1968, probably at light displacement.  She maintained it for 6 hours.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
1,465 posts
5,834 battles
21 hours ago, JCC45 said:

2z2ucx.jpg

USS Georgia is not a Soviet ship.  

[SRBL]
Members
219 posts
6 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

To be fair, I have seen a few times, that Wisconsin /did/ touch 39 knots, although it was in shallow water which allows for greater speed.  

That's physically not possible regardless of water depth. The hull form and propulsion don't permit that high of a speed. 

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,478 posts
9,588 battles
6 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

To be fair, I have seen a few times, that Wisconsin /did/ touch 39 knots, although it was in shallow water which allows for greater speed.  The fastest sustained speed an Iowa has gotten officially, is 35 knots from the Jersey in 1968, probably at light displacement.  She maintained it for 6 hours.

The speed of a ship is restricted by the length of its waterline. Its been a while but im Tom Clancy's book red storm rising, after the Soviets first vampire attack, Nimitz and Iowa put on a ~50kt sprint to Brest for repairs.

[SFBBW]
Beta Testers
1,105 posts
8,759 battles

An old Navy friend that lives down in Texas, was on the recommissioning crews for both the Iowa and Wisconsin back in the 80's. He said that on sea trials in the Gulf of Mexico, the Iowa was able to do 35 knots with ease.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,181 posts
1,105 battles
1 hour ago, Retnav54 said:

An old Navy friend that lives down in Texas, was on the recommissioning crews for both the Iowa and Wisconsin back in the 80's. He said that on sea trials in the Gulf of Mexico, the Iowa was able to do 35 knots with ease.

Guinness Book of World Records lists USS New Jersey as having maintained 35.2 knots for six hours during shakedown in 1968. Your friend's claim seems reasonable. 

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles
On 4/20/2019 at 4:19 PM, Retnav54 said:

Perusing the Dev Blog on changes to the RU BB's, came across the notes about the changes to the Georgia -

Reducing the main gun range, and shifting emphasis to being a medium to close range ship. Okay, I'm down with that.

Kicking up secondary range to 7.5 km and reducing reload to 4 seconds, basically giving it Massachusetts secondarys. Now it's getting interesting.

Reducing the cooldown on the heal to 60/40, again basically a Massachusetts heal. Yep, you guys are definitely setting it up to be a brawler.

Adding in a 15% Engine Boost consumable........

:Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure::Smile_unsure:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot ????????

Doing the maths, 15% Engine Boost and a 5% speed flag on top of that, applied to a 33 knot base max speed, works out to 39.84 knots.....

Ummmm, did you guys buy out the rights to Navyfield? Or did they just forget to hide the key to the vodka cabinet again?

You forgot the cruiser dispersion

[JASH]
Members
3,688 posts
10,082 battles

Not the accuracy of Mass secondaries though.