You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Whiskey_Rebel

Proposed New Stat: Average Place in Team (APiT)

26 comments in this topic

Members
212 posts
1,380 battles

See title. A proposed new statistic that would track where you are on average, 1-12, amongst your teammates (by XP). If people really are getting boned by the MM (which I doubt), tracking this in lieu of WR would solve it, as the players that claim to be held back by potatoes would have a high APiT, even if they had a lower WR.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
21,342 posts
11,846 battles

What the hell would it mean? I have been in the bottom half with 1300+ experience and topped the charts with 900 experience. All your position on the team shows is how you compared to the other players on your team in that match.

• Cool 2

Members
212 posts
1,380 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

All your position on the team shows is how you compared to the other players on your team in that match.

Exactly. So players complaining that their (randomly selected) teammates are holding them back would need to demonstrate that although they have a lower WR, they still have an very good APiT. Conversely, someone who "divs to victory" might have a high WR but their APiT would be average or low.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
4 minutes ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Exactly. So players complaining that their (randomly selected) teammates are holding them back would need to demonstrate that although they have a lower WR, they still have an very good APiT. Conversely, someone who "divs to victory" might have a high WR but their APiT would be average or low.

I see where you are coming from but I doubt those complainers would believe the stat.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

What the hell would it mean? I have been in the bottom half with 1300+ experience and topped the charts with 900 experience. All your position on the team shows is how you compared to the other players on your team in that match.

Exactly.  I've been 2nd on the team with 600xp and i've been 2nd on the team with 2200 xp.  I've been 2nd to last on team with 400 xp and i've been 2nd to last on the team with 1100  xp. These people with self confidence problems and obsession with stats have got to get a life.  GAME!  FUN!  ENTERTAINMENT! ENJOYMENT!  

• Cool 1

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
973 posts
4,311 battles

We can tell how well a player is doing overtime by current stats fine enough. People complain about MM because they only remember the losing streaks. Never when things are going well.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
5,037 posts
15,593 battles

confusing, so no I disapprove..

The only stat I care about is the stats done in the match you just played with me... I dont care about your past... I only care about what you done to win the match I played with you.

I dont think that stat can be made.

Members
212 posts
1,380 battles
30 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

Exactly.  I've been 2nd on the team with 600xp and i've been 2nd on the team with 2200 xp.  I've been 2nd to last on team with 400 xp and i've been 2nd to last on the team with 1100  xp. These people with self confidence problems and obsession with stats have got to get a life.  GAME!  FUN!  ENTERTAINMENT! ENJOYMENT!  

Yes, again - exactly! XP measures your absolute contribution. This is measuring your relative contribution. In both of the first two hypothetical situations you mentioned, you were pulling the team up, not dragging the team down, despite the fact that your scores were very different.

[CSALT]
Members
1,001 posts

Honestly?  Makes all the stats you want, it isn't going to make people better or worse players.

I honestly think ArmPIT would be as meaningful as our winrate is.

(Sorry about the ArmPIT comment.  It isn't a reflection of what I think about the stat, it was just what came to mind when I saw APIT and it made me chuckle.)

There is also the problem of the reward system and that it works about as well as MM does for rewarding team play and players that put the team good above their own.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
2 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

People complain about MM because they only remember the losing streaks. Never when things are going well.

This ^

Members
2,436 posts
10,179 battles
3 hours ago, Stand_Alone97 said:

We can tell how well a player is doing overtime by current stats fine enough. People complain about MM because they only remember the losing streaks. Never when things are going well.

5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This ^

IDK, people get angry when you post good days. 

Also, I dont think this stat is necessary. Once youve played long enough, you can get a basic idea how that person is performing per game per team just off the other measured metrics. 

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma

Members
1,231 posts
2,399 battles

Throwing more calculations in MM which in turn will just lead to a bunch of weirdness and que dumps.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
19 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

IDK, people get angry when you post good days. 

Also, I dont think this stat is necessary. Once youve played long enough, you can get a basic idea how that person is performing per game per team just off the other measured metrics. 

People get angry when people post losing streaks.

[GWG]
[GWG]
21,342 posts
11,846 battles
13 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Yep, and for win streaks. lol

Complaint threads about win streaks are about as common as hens teeth.

Members
2,436 posts
10,179 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Complaint threads about win streaks are about as common as hens teeth.

I could test it. But id have to make another account.

Members
900 posts
3,912 battles
2 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Randomly out of a daily resource container. Im not sure if any requirement or just random. 

Thanks for the reply.  It's awesome

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,831 posts
6,013 battles

hmmm. am rarely below midpoint in the team rankings, win or loss. for the most part, place quite a bit higher on the team in losses than in the wins. again, for the most part, rarely place at the top of the team in a win.

what does this indicate? I try harder when the battle is going south? that there's less competition for damage and kills with a potato team? stayed alive long enuff to do more damage cuz I figured it was time to stat pad instead of try to carry? don't contribute much to a win? know how to milk damage in a loss? or a bit of all the above?

can't say i'm against having this stat, it might be interesting, but in general doubt it would help set up more evenly matched teams. also doubt it would help bring up stats for players that contribute most to the team in losses....

would like to see a CC or devs comments on this.

Beta Testers
188 posts
86 battles

Not sure this would solve the problem. If anything, it might drive players to play even more selfishly. If you just care about scoring high on the team rather than helping your team win, are you going to support friendlies when they push? Scout out a DD giving your BBs a problem? Play a delaying action on a losing flank rather than joining the zerg rush?

WR is a stat that, at the very least, has no negative impact on the game when farmed (Excluding the salt of players who have bad teams, which is never going away). It forces player to play for the win rather than just for their own score. Other metrics like average damage, kills, etc can result in self-destructively selfish play, which is only going to make things worse.

[FML]
Members
2,862 posts
12,773 battles
11 hours ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

See title. A proposed new statistic that would track where you are on average, 1-12, amongst your teammates (by XP). If people really are getting boned by the MM (which I doubt), tracking this in lieu of WR would solve it, as the players that claim to be held back by potatoes would have a high APiT, even if they had a lower WR.

Actually, I don’t mind this. Will be easier to see who carries and who gets carried, which could be useful. 

The only issue I see is when teams are not made out of 12 players - will there be a weighting for small teams? I play late at night, so often find myself in half teams (and uptiered massively). 

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
16 hours ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Most of the time those who div their way to victory all finish in the top 5.

[CAFE]
Members
1,726 posts
12,446 battles

I don’t think we need another stat that tells potatoes they are bad...

• Funny 1