You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
blackbird_521

WASP (CV-7)

17 comments in this topic

[HELLS]
Members
2,588 posts
25,774 battles

They should have brought USS Wasp (with Enterprise planes but slightly smaller squadrons) in rather than USS Saipan (with T10 airplanes) as a T8 Premium.

[TATIC]
Members
32 posts
4,144 battles
3 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Eles deveriam ter trazido USS Wasp  (com aviões Enterprise, mas esquadrões ligeiramente menores) em vez de  USS Saipan (com aviões T10) como um T8 Premium.

exactly was an aircraft carrier that wanted to see in the game

[RCNW3]
Beta Testers
3,066 posts
25,355 battles

I wouldn't be surprise to see the USS Wasp down the road a bit after this CV fiasco blows over...……...

[A-I-M]
Members
2,737 posts
12,558 battles
44 minutes ago, KURT_WOLFF said:

I wouldn't be surprise to see the USS Wasp down the road a bit, this CV fiasco blows

Fixed

That

For

You

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLFC]
Members
1,333 posts
8,527 battles

I'd like to see Wasp at tier 6. We already have 2 USN tier 8 premium CVs, and I'm not certain WG would be able to differentiate it enough to make it stand out at that tier. At tier 6, however, it could be outfitted with a smaller number of higher tier planes, similar to Saipan, which would fit well considering it was a contemporary of the Yorktown class.

This is assuming, of course, WG fixes the issues with AA vs. plane survivability within +/-2 matchmaking. Tier 8 planes vs. tier 5 AA would be disgusting.

• Cool 1

[TATIC]
Members
32 posts
4,144 battles
20 minutes ago, Nevermore135 said:

Eu gostaria de ver o Wasp no nível 6. Nós já temos 2 currículos premium do USN tier 8, e eu não estou certo de que o WG seria capaz de diferenciá-lo o suficiente para fazer com que ele se destaque naquele nível. No nível 6, no entanto, ele poderia ser equipado com um número menor de aviões de nível superior, semelhante ao Saipan, que se encaixaria bem, considerando que era um contemporâneo da classe de Yorktown.

Isto está assumindo, é claro, que o WG conserte os problemas com a capacidade de sobrevivência de AA contra o plano dentro de uma correspondência de +/- 2. Planos de nível 8 vs. nível 5 AA seriam repugnantes.

it would be great I think the wasp was a very forgotten ship the only one of its kind at some point the wargaming needs to bring it they brought the wichita why was not

USS_Wasp_CV-7_underway_1942.jpg

[PNGYN]
Alpha Tester
1,469 posts
3,329 battles

essex class carriers benefited from her too and not just the yorktowns because of her "deck edge elevator" which was incorporated into the larger essex carriers in the form of rear elevators.

[-KAK-]
Members
565 posts
10,200 battles
On 4/20/2019 at 4:28 PM, Cpt_Whiskey72 said:

Wasp with her ‘42 load out would be a great tier 6 premium.

I'm thinking the same thing. Hopefully when WG readds the other CVs (Essex, Taiho, et all) we'll get Wasp added. 

• Cool 1

[AAPLS]
Members
8 posts
6,644 battles

Although I am over a year late to this post, might I render an alternate opinion on the matter?

The USS Wasp could, be a GREAT premium, at tier 6.

Hear me out on this, the USS Wasp is a "miniature" Yorktown Class carrier, so bump it to tier 6 in a Saipan-esque style, tier 6/7/8 planes at tier 6, small bomber attack squadrons, but a semi-large rocket plane group of wildcats, and a decent reserve air group, with a longer than average plane regen time to compensate. "Ideally" (in my own mind anyway) a 9/6/6 for tier 7/8/7 or MAYBE a 12/6/8 if they run a it in the tier 6/8/7 pattern. Seeing as the USN already has two tier 8 CV premiums, and there would be ZERO point to add the Wasp in at tier 8 IMO, I think with the right tweaking, it could shine at tier 6. 

At tier 8, for the USN, the torpedo planes are afforded a heal, you don't get that at tier 6, and historically speaking the Avenger (tier 8 in game) was on the Wasp, so it fits nicely I think with Dauntless (tier 7) and Wildcat (tier 6) seeing as you cant heal your torp bombers, your dive bombers are VERY slow, and your rocket planes are slow with a small payload. As much as I personally am NOT a fan of the 2 plane drop pattern for dive bombers, and historically speaking there were nearly as many Dauntless as Wildcats, a 9 plane group would be too much, even tho its only 1 bomb per plane per drop, I personally think......but feel free to spitball with me on it, the Torp planes being higher tier (doing the same torp dmg tho) only have  

They could REALLY do a unique job here, bad torp protection, decent AA, Atlantic/Mediterranean camo, or Pacific, the 2 choice alternate pattern camo scheme. 

Edited by Higgins_022

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
86 posts
976 battles
On 4/20/2019 at 1:44 PM, blackbird_521 said:

sometime the war gaming could bring the wap uss to the game and if they bring that level it could be.

USS_Wasp_(CV-7)_entering_Hampton_Roads_on_26_May_1942.jpg

They haven't even brought in the USS Hornet ( that's more famous or infamous if you're Japanese) yet, I'll keep waiting. 

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,207 posts
6,007 battles

Only after Yorktown is added....     That we don't have that ship?   Kind of hard to imagine?  

[IRNBN]
Members
3,162 posts
8,563 battles
21 minutes ago, iRA6E said:

Only after Yorktown is added....     That we don't have that ship?   Kind of hard to imagine?  

Especially when you consider that Wasp was considered a design failure (what you get when you build with left-over treaty tonnage) and her most notable accomplishments were as a ferry boat and getting herself sunk by a submarine.

• Haha 2

[REVY]
Members
2,155 posts
11,622 battles
23 hours ago, Balon_Greyjoy said:

Especially when you consider that Wasp was considered a design failure (what you get when you build with left-over treaty tonnage) and her most notable accomplishments were as a ferry boat and getting herself sunk by a submarine.

^^ This

The next ship after Wasp was USS Hornet, a Yorktown-class, then came the Essex.

Wasp was built using the left over tonnage and was never a satisfactory ship. Thus was not repeated.

The main issue with Wasp is the complete lack of a torpedo defense and armor. All Torpedoes hit in the vicinity of the fuel tanks and magazines and those were breached, leading to the loss of the ship.

[AAPLS]
Members
8 posts
6,644 battles
On 8/3/2020 at 1:30 PM, Balon_Greyjoy said:

Here's the thing about that though, the Wasp pioneered several designs that would be implemented into many future carrier designs.

While she was famous for being sunk, you don't know the potential that she could have carried had the IJN sub not gotten the most successful salvo in history off.