Why I shoot the water

19 comments in this topic

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles
2 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

I find it's an efficient way to go fishing. 

AP or HE?

LOL

• Boring 1

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,898 battles

I’ve shot the water with 20mm, 25mm, 40mm, .50cal, 127mm and a single SM-2 that failed to track so many times in real life.

we do it all the time with 20mm ( CIWS ) and 127mm 5”/54 because it’s a maintenance check ( Pre-action calibration fire or just PACfire) to calibrate the fire control radar.  Compares fall of shot to where it was supposed to go and adjusts the fire control.   

The .50 cal, 25mm and 40mm MK-19 grenade launcher - well gunnersmates just like shooting guns so why not?

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles
2 hours ago, wtfovr said:

I’ve shot the water with 20mm, 25mm, 40mm, .50cal, 127mm and a single SM-2 that failed to track so many times in real life.

we do it all the time with 20mm ( CIWS ) and 127mm 5”/54 because it’s a maintenance check ( Pre-action calibration fire or just PACfire) to calibrate the fire control radar.  Compares fall of shot to where it was supposed to go and adjusts the fire control.   

The .50 cal, 25mm and 40mm MK-19 grenade launcher - well gunnersmates just like shooting guns so why not?

OIC :)

• Boring 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,881 posts
9,089 battles
5 hours ago, wtfovr said:

TBH, I've never seen CIWS hit anything but water, and even that was mostly not on purpose except for PAC fires.

Well, no, that's not entirely accurate. I saw one case where the big huge giant massive RCS towed target was completely missed but one stray round managed to sever the cable. The FCs were crowing about how their gun was so accurate that it could track the wire... right up until I asked them why it ignored the gigantic radar reflector.

[YORHA]
Members
4,272 posts
7,623 battles
6 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I find it's an efficient way to go fishing. 

Yup.  Any other method cuts into the drinking time.

[PHD]
Members
637 posts
2,904 battles

Most of the fish killed with explosions sink. So not a great way to fish unless you can go down and retrieve them. 

The islanders around Truk fished that way using scrounged IJN explosives recovered from the wrecks. Damaged the reef and quite a few are missing body parts, mostly hands.  

Members
160 posts
2,103 battles
1 hour ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

Most of the fish killed with explosions sink. So not a great way to fish unless you can go down and retrieve them. 

Most fish float to the surface after being killed.  Sharks are the only exception I know of that sink instead.

Members
67 posts
53 battles
2 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Well, no, that's not entirely accurate. I saw one case where the big huge giant massive RCS towed target was completely missed but one stray round managed to sever the cable. The FCs were crowing about how their gun was so accurate that it could track the wire... right up until I asked them why it ignored the gigantic radar reflector.

So.... you were the guy ruining their joke... :cap_like:

• Funny 1

[XBRTC]
Members
2,881 posts
9,089 battles
1 hour ago, SirMoric said:

So.... you were the guy ruining their joke... :cap_like:

They weren't joking, unfortunately.

[USNSS]
Members
926 posts
9,720 battles

I love the battleship lob over the islands on the 'brothers' map.  I've had at least one lucky hit, always laugh when I see the incoming.

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
727 posts
4,683 battles
10 hours ago, SeaGladius said:

Why do I shoot the water? Dispersion, mostly. Oh yeah, and Aim, but I don’t like to talk about that.

Hahahaha...that too

• Boring 1

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,898 battles
On 4/20/2019 at 10:14 PM, WhiteRecon said:

I love the battleship lob over the islands on the 'brothers' map.  I've had at least one lucky hit, always laugh when I see the incoming.

Lol I do that too.   But I type in chat “shot” as I lob the rounds over the islands, and before they go into the water , follow up in chat with “splash, rounds complete”.