You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Help setting up my Benson and Farragut

7 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
442 posts
6,094 battles

With the proliferation of CVs, I've been struggling to play these ships the way that they should.  Both have 19 pt captains so I have the ability to tailor them to our current gameplay of having BOTH  CVs and radar cruisers in the game.

What captain's skills should I be using on both ships?  My current configuration is PM (1), LS and AR (2), SE and BFT (3), and CE and RL (4)

For the Benson:

1) C Hull configuration, is it worth the extra AA to give up a gun?

2) Upgrades: Aiming Systems Mod 1 vs AA guns Mod 1, is the AA Mod worth the tradeoff?

For the Fletcher:

1) Consumables: Engine boost or Defensive AA fire?

2) Upgrades: same question as the Benson #2

3) Upgrades: 6th slot, which one (AA, main battery, torpedoes, fire control)?

Flags for both ships:  Other than speed boost, are there other "must mount" flags?

Thanks for the help in advance.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,712 posts
7,704 battles

Benson:

1) No, stick to B Hull

2) AA guns. The gain in dispersion is placebo mostly for you, since Destroyers have a super tight dispersion to begin with.

Fletcher:

1) Before the rework I would've said DFAA for sure. Nowadays I am not really sure. I'd say whatever you prefer.

2) See Benson

3) Torpedoes

If you got plenty to spare, Juliet Charlie is nice to have. Other than that, nothing that I'd consider "must mount"

[DBM]
Members
442 posts
6,094 battles

SireneRacker, you didn't comment on my Captain's skills.  What do you think?

[DBM]
Members
442 posts
6,094 battles
On 4/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

What is your intended use for these ships?

Mostly Random.  I do get chances to division up with clanmates during the weekend in Random for the Naval Battles competitions.

[CUTER]
Members
2,858 posts
12,030 battles
3 hours ago, AMajor said:

Mostly Random.  I do get chances to division up with clanmates during the weekend in Random for the Naval Battles competitions.

Benson

Captain skills in this order:  PM, LS, SE, CE, SI, AR, TAE, PT

Farragut

Faragut torps are far more situational so I buff guns more including the upgraded GFCS to harass big ships from safer ranges.

Captain skills in this order:  PM, LS, SE, CE, BFT, AR, SI, PT

[DBM]
Members
442 posts
6,094 battles

Gulp.  So you're not a supporter of RPF (actually Radio Location now) as a skill for USN captains?  Flamu makes some pretty convincing arguments about using that skill in USN dds (agreed, he used a Gearing, but the concept is the same).  I get the TAR and PT for the Benson to replace the RL (just made the switch).  Not ready to give up the RL in the Fletcher just yet.  Do have the BFT and AR, just not the SI and PT.

I think that I have to scale back a little on the number of dds that I'm actively working with.  RL is SO useful in my 3 IJN dds (T8-10 torp boats) that I'm a bit lost when I pull up a ship and the marker isn't there in my USN tin cans.  It shouldn't because I'm also driving the T8 and 9 IJN gun dd (Akizuki and Kitakaze) and I don't use it on them, but that's because they play more like mini cruisers with good torps, monster guns, and plane shredding AA.

I'm trying to perfect the play style of 8 different dds using 3-4 games/night in order to play well for my clan when they need me.  I might need to scale back and focus on just a few at a time and not worry so much about what the clan needs.

FYI, for any forum members with a T8  IJN or USN dd and above, I completely agree with Destroyer_Kuroshiokai.  First 10 points goes like this: PM-1 and LS-2 (absolutely necessary for dds), SE-3 (at T8, you are now high enough that this skill gives you a real chance to hold on till later in the game), CE-4 (concealment for a dd is everything).  After you get this basic skills mastered, you can start working towards things like BFT/TRB/SI etc. depending on your play style.