You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bortt

Iowa Weakspot?

7 comments in this topic

[5D2]
Members
147 posts
7,724 battles

There's a few times I've had citadel hits against me from ships that shouldn't be able to overmatch my bow. I think it was 2-3 times and every time I was at maybe 45 degree angle or maybe a bit closer to bow-on. Is there a weak spot I don't know about? Maybe from hitting the main battery barbette?

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Members
210 posts
10,067 battles

If you think you're ship is maybe 45 degrees, then your bow was probably angled +45 degrees at that moment because of how the bow's line isn't parallel with the ship (perception thing you might of missed), thus resulting with a citadel. To angle the bow at 45 degrees will probably require you to angle the entire ship at 40 degrees if that make sense.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,719 posts
7,711 battles

Even at an angle of 45° your belt is far from safe. To ensure that enemy shells will bounce you require a 30° angle, or in some cases even less.

This however does not cover the possibility of shells striking your barbette and somehow managing to bounce down. Doesn‘t happen a lot, but can happen with every ship that has a barbette.

Members
201 posts
3,193 battles

The other posters already covered the angling portion.  It could also depend on the range.  An AP round fired could have been lobbed through your deck armor and hit your citadel.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,635 posts
15,941 battles

The front bulkhead armour isn't as strong as Missouri's. It can be penned if bow on, so a slight angle is necessary. 

[5D2]
Members
147 posts
7,724 battles
6 hours ago, HeadSplit120 said:

The other posters already covered the angling portion.  It could also depend on the range.  An AP round fired could have been lobbed through your deck armor and hit your citadel.

Wasn't very long range. Every time was under 10 kms. The shots seemed to be aimed higher towards my turrets rather than belt/waterline.