You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

"Smolensk, Somers, Colbert and more!"

51 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,234 posts
19,617 battles

Usually these boards light up with any mention of upcoming ships.  Several were mentioned.  Here's the source from Reddit.

Spoiler

IeHsi8J.jpg

LHsQYV4.jpg

3ekhTWH.jpg

7fHQuDV.jpg

Some quick info I was able to gather.  Colbert is a late 1950s French AA Cruiser.  Think "Post War French Atlanta."

Somers is a mid 1930s USN Destroyer.  Take note of her guns.  It looks like it's her initial refit, i.e. "AA?  What's AA?"  But it looks like she's getting Gearing's 16km torps, but 12 of them.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,861 posts
11,767 battles

I hope Colbert will be T7. The ship does not fit T10 at all. It has no armour, being a cruiser it has a citadel, no torps just fast DD guns. Also no smoke nor radar.

I don't know why someone would play this ship over Worcester or Minotaure.

Members
1,412 posts
8,793 battles
11 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I hope Colbert will be T7. The ship does not fit T10 at all. It has no armour, being a cruiser it has a citadel, no torps just fast DD guns. Also no smoke nor radar.

I don't know why someone would play this ship over Worcester or Minotaure.

Yeah, those stats can't be right for tier 10.  Only 36k hitpoints, a main battery of eight 5" guns and 15 km range?  That's tier 8 tops.

Edited by Vaidency

[NUWES]
Members
2,408 posts
7,685 battles

Somers was a destroyer leader so she was bigger than standard USN DDs. It's an early-war design. Basically an oversized Mahan with facilities for a squadron commander and staff. I think the various international treaties at the time allowed a handful of bigger DDs to act as leaders (flagships) for DD squadrons. Interesting that it is on T10. 

What is Smolensk supposed to do on T10? That's a tiny cruiser. AA cruiser maybe? 

[UFFA]
Members
1,694 posts
72 battles

I guess this means Leone will be my only purchase of the year if these take 150+ days to appear. 

[HINON]
Modder, Privateers
6,796 posts
4,616 battles
16 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

Yeah, those stats can't be right for tier 10.  Only 36k hitpoints, a main battery of eight 5" guns and 15 km range?  That's tier 8 tops.

That's 16 x 5"/54 cal guns. Those are dual turrets.

[CHASE]
Members
405 posts
19,168 battles
17 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

That's 8 twin 127mm/54s. 

It's 444k BASE HE DPM.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,234 posts
19,617 battles

Worcester has about 45k HP and Zao has 40k.  Minotaur has 43k.  Those are already considered scraping the bottom for Tier X Cruiser HP and Colbert and Smolensk are about 10k lower.  Other than the weapon systmems, it wouldn't surprise me if these things got something special to help them out in a dangerous Tier X environment.

Take note of the armor plating for both Smolensk and Colbert.  13mm.  Worcester has 25mm.  Minotaur has 16mm.  Destroyer "Daring" has 19mm armor, but no Citadel as per being a DD.  But these 2 are Cruisers.  You can bet they are definitely getting gimmicks to make them useful, desirable.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[XBRTC]
Members
2,880 posts
9,083 battles

Okay. So. Smolensk.

4x4 turrets? Seriously? 16 tubes of Grozovoi firepower?

Where do I sign up for this?

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,352 posts
12,506 battles

Colbert has the same guns as Harekaze's third option and they are also the same as Midway and Montana secondaries

The 127mm/54 has 9% fire chance.

This is about double of what you get on the USN 127mm/38 guns and 100mm/65 Akizuki guns

Colbert's guns fire at 20RPM

127mm/54 has ballistics that are about as good as Soviet 130mm/50 B-2-LM found on Tashkent.

They're obviously not as good as the 6"/47 on Cleveland/Worcester, but they have way better fire chance when you factor in the RoF.

Members
2,176 posts
78 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Somers is a mid 1930s USN Destroyer.  Take note of her guns.  It looks like it's her initial refit, i.e. "AA?  What's AA?"  But it looks like she's getting Gearing's 16km torps, but 12 of them.

Time to make Shimakaze irrelevant again :cap_book:

Edited by RyuuohD_NA

Members
1,412 posts
8,793 battles
2 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Time to make Shimakaze irrelevant again :cap_book:

Well, the Somers' torpedo tubes are arranged like the Mahan's, so it's only got a broadside of 8 torpedoes.  You'll have to turn around to launch the other 4.

Members
2,176 posts
78 battles
1 minute ago, Vaidency said:

Well, the Somers' torpedo tubes are arranged like the Mahan's, so it's only got a broadside of 8 torpedoes.  You'll have to turn around to launch the other 4.

Huh.

It seems to be centerline in OP's pic.

Members
1,412 posts
8,793 battles
3 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Huh.

It seems to be centerline in OP's pic.

Actually, you're right.  I just checked and they were all centerline before one of them was removed to make room for more AA guns in 1944.

Members
3,624 posts
3,913 battles

Hill looks so odd without the iconic sweeping hull plate into an upper deck. Or would it be a forecastle deck? Even Clemson had it in a sense, but went about it in a different manner as it curved up towards the smoke stacks rather than lead into another floor for the tower. 

51Uyk5wi4xL._SX425_.jpg

[SYN]
Members
15,352 posts
12,506 battles

Hill?

s584131.jpg

Smolensk? (The last one)

79458-1-f.jpg

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Usually these boards light up with any mention of upcoming ships.  Several were mentioned.  Here's the source from Reddit.

Reveal hidden contents

IeHsi8J.jpg

LHsQYV4.jpg

3ekhTWH.jpg

7fHQuDV.jpg

Some quick info I was able to gather.  Colbert is a late 1950s French AA Cruiser.  Think "Post War French Atlanta."

3 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Somers was a destroyer leader so she was bigger than standard USN DDs. It's an early-war design. Basically an oversized Mahan with facilities for a squadron commander and staff. I think the various international treaties at the time allowed a handful of bigger DDs to act as leaders (flagships) for DD squadrons. Interesting that it is on T10. 

What is Smolensk supposed to do on T10? That's a tiny cruiser. AA cruiser maybe? 

Somers is indeed a DL, so being Tier X is fitting to compete with Khabarovsk & later French Mogador & Italian Romani.

Based on my past research, Smolensk is, in fact, the MLK-16-130 "small light cruiser" design variants of the MLK project & was amongst a few proposed projects for the AA CL project. One of the projects was proposed by the Admiral of the Fleet of the Soviet Union Nikolai Kuznetsov himself, or the AA cruiser project itself was proposed under his decree in the efforts to modernize the VMF.

In my premium ships thread, I personally proposed the MLK-12-130 design variant on Tier VII/VIII just to compete with Atlanta.

And by Tier X, it would make sense due to the use of postwar technologies

2 hours ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

Okay. So. Smolensk.

4x4 turrets? Seriously? 16 tubes of Grozovoi firepower?

Where do I sign up for this?

2 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Colbert has the same guns as Harekaze's third option and they are also the same as Midway and Montana secondaries

The 127mm/54 has 9% fire chance.

This is about double of what you get on the USN 127mm/38 guns and 100mm/65 Akizuki guns

Colbert's guns fire at 20RPM

127mm/54 has ballistics that are about as good as Soviet 130mm/50 B-2-LM found on Tashkent.

They're obviously not as good as the 6"/47 on Cleveland/Worcester, but they have way better fire chance when you factor in the RoF.

Whilst Smolensk's 130mm DP guns are the ones found on both Moskva, Stalingrad & Kreml.

I think Smolensk's 130mm quad-barrel gun turret is probably based on the 100mm quad-barrel gun turret made for the proposed upgrade Sverdlov-class CL.

But anyways, it will be interesting to look forward to see both Colbert & Smolensk to give Minotaur a run for the money.

Edited by Xero_Snake

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,904 posts
12,193 battles

I don't even have words for the utterly bizarre choices of ships and tiers for this round of announcements.

We already have 15 WIP premiums. We already have announced Benham and Bayard, Russia already has Kron and Stalingrad, France already has Bourgogne and Jean Bart.

Utterly bizarre.

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles
34 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Hill?

s584131.jpg

Smolensk? (The last one)

79458-1-f.jpg

Yeah, that's the MLK (small light cruiser) project I was talking about.

Edited by Xero_Snake

[EGO]
Members
3,683 posts

Bad timing considering the other ships they are already working on and the current state of CVs. It makes it look like there are unconcerned with the current state of the game.

• Boring 1

Members
5,097 posts
60 battles

Even though I thought of come up with the French AA CL line a couple of years back, I knew Colbert will be the Tier X candidate.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,255 posts
8,412 battles

Good to know that my favorite Destroyer class is going to be taking the big long WG shaft. Guess I can go ahead and clear my schedule of this game for the foreseeable future, done wasting time with this garbage.

[TCNNA]
Members
952 posts
16,559 battles

I am not a collector but I cannot play all the ship I have........more ship is good but will be fine have a auction house for selling unused premium, where WG take 30% as fees in gold