BTed72

Need your suggestions and opinios, starting to get into the Ship/based anime. Where should I start?

36 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator
87 posts
2,945 battles

Afternoon All,

So as an old school anime fan, Battleship Yamamoto, Bubble Crises, Macross, Initial D, Record of Lodoss War, I am getting interested in some the ship based / in-game shows and content.

Where would you suggest I start? What shows are "Must see" and your favorites?

Thanks for the help/suggestions in advance! 

BTed72
Community Outreach Manager
World of Warships

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[INR]
Members
999 posts
3,941 battles

Zipang! follows a modern JMSDF DDH (JDS Mirai, a fictional Yukinami-class DDH) as it time-travels back to WW2. The Yamato's reveal is still stunning even today

Kantai Collection (KanColle) is the game/show that started the whole shipgirl thing. It follows Fubuki and her fleet during the events leading up to Midway. My personal favorite is Aoba in the movie. 

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio - Ars Nova - (Arpeggio of Blue Steel), of course, already has a WoWs crossover. Follows I-401 and her crew as the combat sci-fi ships with personalities. It also has a movie subtitled "Cadenza". Fan favorites include Takao and Maya.

A lot of people like High School Fleet (HaiFuri), which also has a collab with WoWs, but I really do not enjoy it as much as the others. Follows a fictional Kagero-class and her crew.

(Upcoming) Azur Lane will have an anime release this year, and KanColle had a new preview earlier this year. HaiFuri is getting a movie, too.

---

Not strictly ship-based, but Suisei no Gargantia (Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet) is a futuristic Sci-Fi that takes place on a fleet of ships. 

Edited by WuYixiang
Spelling and mentions. Bolded titles.
  • Cool 4

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,505 posts
15,773 battles
1 hour ago, BTed72 said:

What shows are "Must see" and your favorites?

Not trying to be a smart azz or sarcastic, but your question would get a better response if you asked any grade school boy with internet access; they have all the time to watch and the skills to find every anime available, often times at the cost of seriously irate parents. If I wanted this info, I'd ask my grandkids.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 5

[HINON]
Members
10,337 posts
21 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Not trying to be a smart azz or sarcastic, but your question would get a better response if you asked any grade school boy with internet access; they have all the time to watch and the skills to find every anime available, often times at the cost of seriously irate parents. If I wanted this info, I'd ask my grandkids.

He may not have grandkids yet. :cap_haloween:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,505 posts
15,773 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

He may not have grandkids yet. :cap_haloween:

And this is my problem …. how?

If he doesn't have grandkids, maybe he has kids,

and if he doesn't have kids, maybe he has friends,

and if he doesn't have friends, maybe he can ask the kids he gives his lunch money to.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 6

[HINON]
Members
10,337 posts
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

And this is my problem …. how?

If he doesn't have grandkids, maybe he has kids,

and if he doesn't have kids, maybe he has friends,

and if he doesn't have friends, maybe he can ask the kids he gives his lunch money to.

And he could just ask here. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,145 posts
10,639 battles

Apparently Tactical Roar is also a navy series you can check out, in addition to WuYixiang's suggested shows.  I can't vouch for it though, having not seen it myself.  Of Wu's shows, Zipang is the most realistic of the bunch and well worth a watch.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.

• Cool 1

Members
2,942 posts
3,244 battles

Captain Harlock is a classic and i'm not sure if classic Gatachman counts as ship based anime but it did remind me of Thunderbird 6 in the past. Then again they used a sub and not a warship. 

Arpeggio of Blue Steel if you want a ship based anime with drama based around recolored scifi built warships.

High School Fleet if you want a comedy/drama based around a destroyer and a decent sized crew (for what good that did it).

Kancolle if you want a comedy/drama of girls skating on water. 

• Cool 1

[INR]
Members
999 posts
3,941 battles
10 hours ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Apparently Tactical Roar is also a navy series you can check out, in addition to WuYixiang's suggested shows.  I can't vouch for it though, having not seen it myself.  Of Wu's shows, Zipang is the most realistic of the bunch and well worth a watch.  I enjoyed it thoroughly.

I hadn't heard of that one! I'll have to check it out, myself!

(6.5/10 on MAL isn't actually horrible, but it does explain how this one got past me.)

Update: I have to say the visuals have not aged well in my opinion, and episode 1 was hot trash.

Edited by WuYixiang
I quit.

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
4,030 posts
16,029 battles

ARP just for this

TanDefiantAfghanhound-size_restricted.gif

• Cool 1

[INR]
Members
999 posts
3,941 battles
1 minute ago, Triela50 said:

ARP just for this

*snip*

Did someone say "Carnival"?

[REVY]
Members
6,139 posts
5,152 battles
5 hours ago, BTed72 said:

Afternoon All,

So as an old school anime fan, Battleship Yamamoto, Bubble Crises, Macross, Initial D, Record of Lodoss War, I am getting interested in some the ship based / in-game shows and content.

Where would you suggest I start? What shows are "Must see" and your favorites?

Thanks for the help/suggestions in advance! 

BTed72
Community Outreach Manager
World of Warships

While not entirely ship based, Nadia The Secret of Blue Water draws inspiration from Jules Verne's Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea and was made by Gainax just before they produced the infamous Neon Genesis Evangelion.  I will stress caution however, this is a early 90's anime and it's target demographic is on the younger side.  I personally discovered the show a little too late to enjoy it myself but it does have the charm of old hand drawn animation.

cGc4VBp.gif

jvcfiof.jpg

ZahENiu.gif

• Cool 3

[TURD]
Members
131 posts
1,946 battles
16 hours ago, BTed72 said:

Afternoon All,

Where would you suggest I start?

Would it be wrong for me to suggest to git gud at drawing boobs?

Seems a thing in anime.

Edited by Don_Alvarez

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,219 posts
11,900 battles

While not technically Anime, McHales Navy is a great show involving naval combat. It has the added bonus of Zero squeaky anime girls!

• Cool 1

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,929 posts
9,770 battles

I'd say the best by far are: 

Zipang, as it is fairly well animated and revolves around ships the whole way through. Some would argue the show has more than a little Japanese nationalist chest thumping, but honestly that's part of why it's fun.

Alternately, there is Konpeki no Kantai, also known as the "Deep Blue Fleet". It's an older show, and shares a lot of similarities to Man in the High Castle, but it's mostly naval focused. It's very hard to find english translations (subs or dubs) for, but there are some floating about.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator
87 posts
2,945 battles
5 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

I'd say the best by far are: 

Zipang, as it is fairly well animated and revolves around ships the whole way through. Some would argue the show has more than a little Japanese nationalist chest thumping, but honestly that's part of why it's fun.

Alternately, there is Konpeki no Kantai, also known as the "Deep Blue Fleet". It's an older show, and shares a lot of similarities to Man in the High Castle, but it's mostly naval focused. It's very hard to find english translations (subs or dubs) for, but there are some floating about.

Thanks @Kingfishercritic I Vaguely remember hearing about Deep Blue fleet but will track it down. Currently trying to finish off my Space Battleship Yamato Blue Ray collection. Will keep an eye out for Zipang. Thanks!

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,929 posts
9,770 battles
1 hour ago, BTed72 said:

Thanks @Kingfishercritic I Vaguely remember hearing about Deep Blue fleet but will track it down. Currently trying to finish off my Space Battleship Yamato Blue Ray collection. Will keep an eye out for Zipang. Thanks!

If you're willing to branch out into space anime, all the associated Space Battleship Yamato films certainly aren't a bad start. I'd say the best for that would be the 2199 and 2202 series, and then go back to watch the older movies.

Aside from that, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the original version) is fantastic.

Branching out further, there's always the various Mobile Suit Gundam franchise which aside from the obviously excellent mecha battles actually has a lot of capital engagements.

Edited by Kingfishercritic

[INR]
Members
999 posts
3,941 battles
1 hour ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Some would argue the show has more than a little Japanese nationalist chest thumping, but honestly that's part of why it's fun.

I would counter by saying that Zipang! also recognizes that the IJN's doctrine was fundamentally flawed despite all of the nationalism. It easily ranked Top 5 during @iKami's little question and answer event.

Edited by WuYixiang
Tense. LOL

[WGA]
Administrator
87 posts
2,945 battles
17 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

If you're willing to branch out into space anime, all the associated Space Battleship Yamato films certainly aren't a bad start. I'd say the best for that would be the 2199 and 2202 series, and then go back to watch the older movies.

Aside from that, Legend of the Galactic Heroes (the original version) is fantastic.

Branching out further, there's always the various Mobile Suit Gundam franchise which aside from the obviously excellent mecha battles actually has a lot of capital engagements.

Already a "big" Gundam fan with Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, War in a pocket and Gundam Unicorn being my favs.

I actually pretend the "Live action" Space Battleship Yamato does not exist. :fish_nerv:

Thanks again all for the great suggestions. :Smile_great:

[SYJ]
Members
119 posts
7,669 battles

Well not exactly "ship" anime in conventional sense, but "Submarine 707" is a rather fun show. Think "Down Periscope" plus "The Hunt for Red October".

Another interesting one is "Blue Sub 6", soundtrack alone worth suffering through some of the late 90's "Bad CG". On the plus side about 5 years later Gonzo "made" anime with good CG , "Last Exile", with airships.

[ARGSY]
Members
8,810 posts
5,932 battles
18 hours ago, Umikami said:

your question would get a better response

I'm not sure it would. Given that some of us here are fans of ship anime because of the crossovers, it's quite reasonable that asking some of them would be much more likely to lead on to closely related material faster.

[INR]
Members
999 posts
3,941 battles
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'm not sure it would. Given that some of us here are fans of ship anime because of the crossovers, it's quite reasonable that asking some of them would be much more likely to lead on to closely related material faster.

I'm definitely in that boat (hehe). I also happen to enjoy other shows about military hardware like Girls und Panzer, Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai, and Upotte!

Girly Air Force was a wash, though.

Edited by WuYixiang

[FALCO]
Alpha Tester
1,000 posts
6,105 battles

Well, if you want to just enjoy the ships more, here are my tiny suggestion while I list a few other titles our fellow captains chosen (boosted with pictures):

1-Strike Witches: This one is the BEST if we just focus on the ships design/production of the models (and of course, the variety of ships we can see here). A alternative universe where the world is under the atack of a alien invaders known as the Neuroi who came to Earth in 1939, and now all nations need to fight againts they. Mostly the focus of this is over the members of the 501st Joint Fighter Wing, the group of witches who fight the Neuroi, but when we see the battles where there are ships involved, they are excelent to watch. Here a few examples of how well the ships looks:

Spoiler

tbMHq4e.png

Spoiler

wHhJ2cS.png

2-Zipang: As most people posted, is the BEST if you just want to watch the history involved. Sadly this one just have 26 episodes and there was nothing more from that (is my dream just see WG trying to do a collab with them just to rise funds to make another season, and adapt the finished manga).

Spoiler

2Uz4Grl.png

3-Shin Kaitei Gunkan: Another old and short piece but with sci-fi as the first, here the synopsis: Moments after an atomic bomb falls over Hiroshima, a secret Japanese submarine sails into battle against its American counterpart, and both are lost to history. Some fifty years later, a special UN task force sent to investigate unusual phenomena in Antarctica is threatened by a mysterious black cylinder.

Spoiler

HPrRtAS.png

4-Schwarzesmarken: Another good one, but as the first, the focus are over the persons of the serie and not the ships itself, but at least the history is good: The year is 1983. The Cold War is in full effect, and humanity is under attack. Strange aliens, given the name "BETA," have descended to Earth with the goal of destroying all life. Soldiers have been tasked with piloting large combat suits called Tactical Surface Fighters (TSF) to repel the alien invaders, but the front line is slowly being pushed back towards the surviving cities.

Spoiler

7THEG1V.png

5-Ryuu no Haisha: A short one, where there is at the start a "naval fight". Even if that is just the only part where we can see ships, the rest can be watched: The story takes place in Dragon Country. Nonoko is a newly appointed dentist and her mission is to protect the dragon, the guardian of the country, from tooth-cavity bacteria. One day, amid increasingly fierce battles with the neighboring country, Nonoko finds on the dragon's tooth an unconscious boy soldier from the enemy country. His name is Bell, and he has been resurrected from inside the tooth by the dragon—a supernatural phenomenon that legend says occurs before a major disaster. As Nonoko and Bell go through a series of fierce battles, they eventually learn to accept their fate.

Spoiler

TyvVZcX.png

6-Konpeki no Kantai / Kyokujitsu no Kantai: Both as a alternate universe and follow a similar way like Zipang, here the synopsis of the two: Konpeki no Kantai is a Japanese alternate-history original video animation series produced by JC Staff. Based on a 1992 novel by Yoshio Aramaki, the series focuses on a technologically advanced Imperial Japanese Navy and a radically different Pacific War that was brought about by Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto's revival in the past due to unexplained circumstances. The series also features real-life 1940s figures whose first names were changed, such as Winston Churchill to Kingston Churchill and Adolf Hitler to Heinrich von Hitler. In Kyokujitsu no Kantai, Japan builds up on its success in the earlier series by expanding its blue-water capabilities to reach the Atlantic Ocean, challenging the Kriegsmarine in the process. Nazi Germany also launches a surgical strike on the White House and the Japanese fleet repels a German invasion of Britain.

Spoiler

rTin85O.png

And just for the sake of history and action, combat, and anything good you can think: Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199/2202, Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, Captain Harlock. They are my beloved space operas.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles

Arpeggio of the Blue Steel ARS Nova

Haifuri which is also known as High School Fleet

And while not entirely a conventional Naval Anime, the Mobile Suit Gundam series have had some soace battkes very reminiscent of Naval Battles which is part of what makes some of those series fun. Just watched some of it the other night where they had the battle lines, guns mounted like you would find on naval ships, and really a lot like a naval battle innthe way they were fighting.