You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaptChico

HMS Implacable

21 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
417 posts
8,750 battles

Ok let me start this post again. 

So i am having the worst time playing the Implacable, after 87 games i have a 36% win rate with this ship.

Wows Stats & Numbers has the Implacable getting around a 50% win rate, so i have to take that to mean i am doing something wrong with this ship, I dont know if its just a streak of bad luck and crappy teams, i think the worst was last weekend where i went 10 games in a row losing with the Implacable. Today i am on a 5 game losing streak with this ship. I am at a loss just dont know what else i can be doing to get wins in this ship.

I am two or three more games away from the Audacious, but i will not be parking the Implacable, i am not giving up on this ship, i can't have a ship i love so much sitting in my Port with a 36% WR!!!! I will get this ship to a 50% if it take me all year.

I did that with my Yorck and i will do it for Implacable.

Just need advice and to know other players are having good games with her as well.

Beta Testers
671 posts
2,542 battles

Give up on this ship, the T8 CV was made to be as painful as possible for the RN CV line.

You have very limited planes with limited health and your damage is cut down in all attack planes, the same thing doesn't happen for IJN TBs and USN DBs, where their damage is usually constant from T8 to T10.

In the case of the RN Navy, you get way more rockets and attackers, 3 torpedoes planes instead of 2 and the famous 500lb bomb with 3 attackers, instead of 2 dropping 8 fireworks.

Basically, the T8 RN CV is the weakest CV out of all of them.

• Meh 1

[PEEDZ]
Members
64 posts
17,331 battles

I’ve found success in the Implacable, but it is true that it is one of the least forgiving CVs in the game. Without careful target selection and planned out attack runs you’ll find yourself strapped for planes at the end of a battle. If you ever find yourself missing drops for any reason, I highly encourage going into a training room to get down leads to perfection. 

Rockets - they’re numerous but lack pen. Use them to set fires on BB superstructures/blap DDs (if they have their AA turned off, pop an on summon fighter in their projected path and circle back). Using them to spot ahead and draw out some DCPs (to be later exploited) is very beneficial.

Dive Bombers/Carpet Bombers - with the gravity being buggy, it may be a bit tricky landing bombs, but after a while it shouldn’t be a problem. These bombers excel at following up DCPs on ships that you previously attacked. Even if the drop may not be perfected, sometimes it’s just worth dropping so you’re in enemy AA for less time. 

Torpedo Bombers - bread and butter of the Implacable. Torps converge quite tight on the RN CVs and have a small penalty for adjusting while in an attack sequence. The torps on the Implacable have one of the highest flood chances of any aerial torpedo. 

I hope you find success, and good luck getting to 50%. When played to get everything out of the ship, the wins will start flowing in I promise :D 

AAD20735-9AA2-4819-A6B8-77007210AF9A.thumb.jpeg.0ec92bf16fc60b2b96eac41f32e43775.jpeg

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
417 posts
8,750 battles

Well on my way to 10 Losses in a row today. At 8 at the moment. 

WOW so like in a weeks time i have over 20 losses almost in a row, i think maybe i have won 3 match between those 20 Losses...UNBELIEVABLE the last time i can think that has happened was 2 years ago

Just can not believe this ship can be that bad nor that i could Suck that bad in a ship.  

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,625 posts
19,327 battles

Buff your TB health and speed.

They are your bread and butter.

I usually drop a flight early so I don't do 3 runs and saves in aircraft.

Target selection is key to success. 

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,690 posts
5,232 battles

I find I have to play Implacable to give  kills to my team-mates.

It's more about spotting and dropping fighter support than doing damage one's self. At least for the first half of the game.

I find I can pick off damaged ships attempting to escape, or ships left exposed after their team-mates have been sunk around them.

But the RN's slow aircraft speed means you are inside AA bubbles longer in all other circumstances (especially the painfully slow rocket planes), and the extra HP doesn't really cut it.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,574 posts
2 hours ago, ALROCHA said:

Give up on this ship, the T8 CV was made to be as painful as possible for the RN CV line.

You have very limited planes with limited health and your damage is cut down in all attack planes, the same thing doesn't happen for IJN TBs and USN DBs, where their damage is usually constant from T8 to T10.

In the case of the RN Navy, you get way more rockets and attackers, 3 torpedoes planes instead of 2 and the famous 500lb bomb with 3 attackers, instead of 2 dropping 8 fireworks.

Basically, the T8 RN CV is the weakest CV out of all of them.

I went through it to get to the T10.  While it isn't my favorite CV I have a 51% win rate in it over 74 games.  Again, that certainly isn't fantastic but it's not that bad.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,375 posts

I'm gonna disagree with those saying she's not good or less than good. When I was at the 50 game level, I was running like a 52% win rate in her. I got in a hurry to grind the Audacious (or Audie as I call it) and ran my stats down a few notches. 

I had a 19pt commander in her - my Mino commander jumped at the chance to command a carrier. He actually moved on and up to Audacious. Now I've a 16 pt commander. 

shot-19_04.15_20_08.16-0124.thumb.jpg.21d260274e2a812ded22ae5ac5dd1f27.jpg

shot-19_04.15_20_08.37-0704.thumb.jpg.b337816ba22fe43cc8a8363b97b0ac98.jpg

So right now I'm working on bringing her back up to what she was 50 games ago ;-) 

Folks are right about the TB... Start your run (LMB) as soon as you are notified of being under attack IF you can see the target spotting you. If you can't (it's a dd or something hiding) give it a few seconds more until you see it. At that point if I don't see it I'll still trigger the attack (LMB) so I drop low and avoid medium/long range AA(A). 

When you go in for the attack, initially use your S & D keys to get lined up - but once you hit the actual attack run (after dropping out of the sky) try like crazy to only use your mouse to adjust your aircraft. You can with good confidence, fly right up to almost any ship and drop torp. BB's generally require a full-length ship lead, cruisers 1.5 to 2 depending on the target's speed and angle. I have little luck with DD's using torps. I prefer DB on the DD. 

DB work well on bigger ships too... especially if you are watching what ships have been hit and burning but aren't burning now. Oh... DB attacks I'll usually start at around 6km. Boost manually with your W key on a DB run until you are about to overspeed your target. Remember to COUNT to your self ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE to know WHERE your bombs will hit the water.

It takes a full five seconds (give or take a couple ticks) from drop to splash. You aim accordingly, often having to anticipate where the target will be five seconds into the future. 

Finally I'd suggest you look up "slingshot" in the forum. There's a new thread or two discussing it... Heck I was doing it without knowing it had a name, but not always.

Here's the thing... Imp's TB are the best (imo) because once you start your TB run, you will almost never be touched by AA(A) on the run in and the drop. It's after the drop you may have an issue. Which is why choosing WHAT to target is the biggest choice you need to make. 

One other thought - and this is probably just me - my rocket attack aircraft sit on the carrier always ready. I don't utilize them as do others - spotting for example. I keep mine for "homeland defense". I can more easily rocket a DD attacking me than DB or TB. If a rocket won't get them though, I will pull out the DB. 

Second thing they're good for is those pesky attacks by red carriers. Keep your eye on the minimap at all times... FLY using the minimap. When you see reds approaching your areas, you got two choices. One, continue on with your attack then return to your ship or Two, Fkey right now, select 1 twice, leap off the deck and hit the T key to deploy fighters to fight along with your carrier's fighters. 

I hope these tips/tactics work for you. She can really smack reds around IF you have a decent team who can hold their own. She's a pretty decent CQ carrier too, when you get her all upgraded. 

Last but not least... when you're getting over run and it's gonna be a loss, look for the nearest border having an open path to it... run the bow into the border and try to ensure the stern is pointed directly at the greatest threats. You then launch and attack the closest threat, over and over until they sink you or you sink enough of them that the others will find a different target. Hey, I've seen them turn and leave the area when the heat gets brought down on them. 

DOn't give up on the ship... carriers in general are great for adrenaline junkies and for my money, the Implacable plays the best of the tech tree ships.        

Beta Testers
417 posts
8,750 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I'm gonna disagree with those saying she's not good or less than good. When I was at the 50 game level, I was running like a 52% win rate in her. I got in a hurry to grind the Audacious (or Audie as I call it) and ran my stats down a few notches. 

I had a 19pt commander in her - my Mino commander jumped at the chance to command a carrier. He actually moved on and up to Audacious. Now I've a 16 pt commander. 

So right now I'm working on bringing her back up to what she was 50 games ago ;-) 

Folks are right about the TB... Start your run (LMB) as soon as you are notified of being under attack IF you can see the target spotting you. If you can't (it's a dd or something hiding) give it a few seconds more until you see it. At that point if I don't see it I'll still trigger the attack (LMB) so I drop low and avoid medium/long range AA(A). 

When you go in for the attack, initially use your S & D keys to get lined up - but once you hit the actual attack run (after dropping out of the sky) try like crazy to only use your mouse to adjust your aircraft. You can with good confidence, fly right up to almost any ship and drop torp. BB's generally require a full-length ship lead, cruisers 1.5 to 2 depending on the target's speed and angle. I have little luck with DD's using torps. I prefer DB on the DD. 

DB work well on bigger ships too... especially if you are watching what ships have been hit and burning but aren't burning now. Oh... DB attacks I'll usually start at around 6km. Boost manually with your W key on a DB run until you are about to overspeed your target. Remember to COUNT to your self ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR, FIVE to know WHERE your bombs will hit the water.

It takes a full five seconds (give or take a couple ticks) from drop to splash. You aim accordingly, often having to anticipate where the target will be five seconds into the future. 

Finally I'd suggest you look up "slingshot" in the forum. There's a new thread or two discussing it... Heck I was doing it without knowing it had a name, but not always.

Here's the thing... Imp's TB are the best (imo) because once you start your TB run, you will almost never be touched by AA(A) on the run in and the drop. It's after the drop you may have an issue. Which is why choosing WHAT to target is the biggest choice you need to make. 

One other thought - and this is probably just me - my rocket attack aircraft sit on the carrier always ready. I don't utilize them as do others - spotting for example. I keep mine for "homeland defense". I can more easily rocket a DD attacking me than DB or TB. If a rocket won't get them though, I will pull out the DB. 

Second thing they're good for is those pesky attacks by red carriers. Keep your eye on the minimap at all times... FLY using the minimap. When you see reds approaching your areas, you got two choices. One, continue on with your attack then return to your ship or Two, Fkey right now, select 1 twice, leap off the deck and hit the T key to deploy fighters to fight along with your carrier's fighters. 

I hope these tips/tactics work for you. She can really smack reds around IF you have a decent team who can hold their own. She's a pretty decent CQ carrier too, when you get her all upgraded. 

Last but not least... when you're getting over run and it's gonna be a loss, look for the nearest border having an open path to it... run the bow into the border and try to ensure the stern is pointed directly at the greatest threats. You then launch and attack the closest threat, over and over until they sink you or you sink enough of them that the others will find a different target. Hey, I've seen them turn and leave the area when the heat gets brought down on them. 

DOn't give up on the ship... carriers in general are great for adrenaline junkies and for my money, the Implacable plays the best of the tech tree ships.        

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience, i'll try and put it to good use.

Beta Testers
417 posts
8,750 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I guess you mean Flak, cuz i still take damage and lose TB planes when i am in my Attack run.

Members
26 posts
1,749 battles
9 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I had a 19pt commander in her - my Mino commander jumped at the chance to command a carrier. He actually moved on and up to Audacious.

The 4 pointer that accelerates aiming is a waste of points for British carriers (and ijn imho)

Replace it with either

- SE + last gasp (which I'd recommend)

- CE

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,375 posts
2 hours ago, PzPz_EU said:

The 4 pointer that accelerates aiming is a waste of points for British carriers (and ijn imho)

Replace it with either

- CE

I'll consider it... thanks for the advice. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,375 posts
4 hours ago, CaptChico said:

I guess you mean Flak, cuz i still take damage and lose TB planes when i am in my Attack run.

Well then flak, but for my purpose i consider all of the attacks from surface ships as anti-aircraft artillery, even the short-range guns. I'm weird like that... Its strange then, I must be blessed, because I don't lose them. They may get damaged, but I don't lose them. Heck, I'll TB Clevelands with them. But I'm boosting when I do the attacks. 

Beta Testers
417 posts
8,750 battles
11 hours ago, PzPz_EU said:

Replace it with either

- CE

Can you elaborate on this? Why do you fell its a waste? 

[B_Y_F]
Members
502 posts
11,933 battles
20 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

When you go in for the attack, initially use your S & D keys to get lined up - but once you hit the actual attack run (after dropping out of the sky) try like crazy to only use your mouse to adjust your aircraft. 

I don't know this is a bug or work as intended.

But,surprisingly, RN torpedo bomber do not wide their aim(or at least very minimum) if you already fully narrowed your aim.Basically, using A and D in the run is really acceptable and start a run basically parallel to your target 8km away is one very powerful move for a RN CV.

[B_Y_F]
Members
502 posts
11,933 battles
12 hours ago, PzPz_EU said:

Replace it with either

- CE

It depends how you like to play CV IMO.

SS is good if you love to turn around in minimal distend and try a second drop, At those situation 0.5s of aim make a difference between one or two torpedo hits which is a 100% increase of efficiency.

I agreed SE and LG is very useful though. Exactly for hit and run sling drop.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,375 posts
55 minutes ago, sapient007 said:

I don't know this is a bug or work as intended.

But,surprisingly, RN torpedo bomber do not wide their aim(or at least very minimum) if you already fully narrowed your aim.Basically, using A and D in the run is really acceptable and start a run basically parallel to your target 8km away is one very powerful move for a RN CV.

This is mostly true but I find to finesse the movement just before drops, using the mouse keys will almost always move me too much. And I like to choke up on the run until their AA(A) fires, that is, I hear the "We're being attacked". I then wait a couple more ticks before I engage with boost. It moves me down on them faster and until I start the drop they aren't always sure they are the target. 

But your advice is solid! 

Members
26 posts
1,749 battles
14 hours ago, CaptChico said:

Can you elaborate on this? Why do you fell its a waste? 

13 hours ago, sapient007 said:

It depends how you like to play CV IMO.

SS is good if you love to turn around in minimal distend and try a second drop, At those situation 0.5s of aim make a difference between one or two torpedo hits which is a 100% increase of efficiency.

I agreed SE and LG is very useful though. Exactly for hit and run sling drop.

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,340 posts

You definitely want that fire starter box checked.  It does make a world of difference for this CV.  It's the difference between 2100 damage for 3 bomb hits and 12000 for 3 bomb hits and 2 fires.