You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LL_JuneBug

Deutschland The Cruiser that shocked the World.

8 comments in this topic

[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles

I took a little break from the other few models I am working on to figure out some geometry on them. 

In the mean time I was dinking around with the idea of converting Graf Spee into the Deutschland.

Deutschland's more famous sister is in the game. You Know, Graf Spee. She is more famous due to the battle of the river plate and was scuttled there.

5 ships were planned with only 3 being built. Deutschland was finished first and then Admiral Scheer, and finally Admiral Graf Zeppelin. Deutschland had her name changed to Lutzow because of the war starting and Hitler was very afraid of Deutschland being sank, and then used as propaganda by the Allies. It wouldn't look good to have a ship named after the nation sank. 

When Deutschland was launched and even before it started much speculation and shock around the worlds navies. It was obviously built to commerce raid and was superior to any heavy cruiser in the world. The British were concerned that they could really only deal with these ships with a few battle cruisers. 

It was the British press that coined the phrase (Pocket Battleship) in reference to this ship.

I also want to give a shout out to modeler Maxromash for the models and kit bash materials that considerably speeds up the modeling process.

Deutschland_Lutzow1a.png

Deutschland_Lutzow1b.png

Deutschland_Lutzow1c.png

Its hard to see, but I moved the rangefinders on the turrets to match the earlier model that was on Deutschland. 

Deutschland_Lutzow1e.png

Deutschland1a.jpg

Edited by LL_JuneBug
Notate illustrations
  • Cool 5

[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles

Did a lot of work to add to the bridge and observation tower. 

Deutschland_Lutzow2a.png

Deutschland_Lutzow2c.png

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,764 posts
10,975 battles

This is cool. I hope you'll keep us updated!

[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles
4 hours ago, KSN said:

TY, I will. I need to get back on her. I ordered a book about Deutschland/Lutzow in 3D drawings and blueprints from Amazon. She was laid out quite different than the here other 2 sisters, except for the main and secondary guns, and even then they weren't in the exact same locations, but close. I needed to see pictures of the aft area right behind the bridge, as most pictures dont show this area.

Lastly I hope WG will consider putting her in the game, even though she would be another Graf Spee give or take. 

• Cool 1

[TF-62]
Members
78 posts
4,749 battles

This is awesome. Please post more reference pictures. I'm building a 1/350 scale of Graf Spee here shortly and this is very helpful 

[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles
On 5/8/2019 at 7:06 PM, KSN said:

I will, I need to model the armor extension plate on the hull, and I think I want to remove the spare Anchor and recess. It was more of a 1944 thing. I like the 1940 to 42 look. 

If you like I have about 6 other model projects on the forum also that are in different stages. This and the Hipper convert are the 2 most finished. 

[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles
On 5/26/2019 at 2:45 PM, Raptor05121 said:

This is awesome. Please post more reference pictures. I'm building a 1/350 scale of Graf Spee here shortly and this is very helpful 

I have made that model before. The Deutschland is very dissimilar with the top layout, but you can get a book on Amazon about her also. Graf Spee in 3D.

I will post more pics also.

[WULUF]
Beta Testers
522 posts
9,489 battles

So, I worked on the Deutschland/Lutzow some more. I was and am still surprised how much the ship and her two sisters are different. The main and secondary armament is the same with the hulls being slightly different in width, but the locations of the guns, and torpedo tubes are different by almost a meter in location, and the locations of some of the range finders and catapult along with boats and deck equipment is totally different. 

The Cranes are positioned different and are 2 different versions that are not the same as Graf Spee's or Scheer's cranes.

So this is where I am at.

Deutschland_Lutzow20a.thumb.png.ab84dd72f8bc60f3b9a85a9d9ecba704.png

The cranes having one more for the boat launches on the starboard side, highlighted in orange and put closer to the stack. The port

side crane being more for the scout plane, and positioned on the opposite side of the funnel. note the catapult in the forward configuration

as opposed to Graf, and Scheer with them in the aft area of the funnel stack.

Deutschland_Lutzow20b.thumb.png.ff76c0d0c64c2e0a1dfede060da2ca90.png

A top view shows the location of the cranes. also I moved the boat davits and winches that were on the hull just forward of the 

aft secondary 15cm guns. These guns on Deutschland are slightly more forward and need to be repositioned. The Forward 15cm guns 

are also a bit to far forward for the ship and need to be moved back, along with the 105mm AA dp units. Also I need to re-model the sponsons

that are under the 105mmAA guns as they are oval shaped with railing, and not squared out like on GS, or Scheer. 

Deutschland_Lutzow20c.thumb.png.ee190dcd8607a6a61637c362317a3b3d.png

An angled view from the starboard side where I have highlighted the cranes and catapult in orange. I also highlighted the AA rangefinder that is aft and 

centerline of the funnel. another one is on top of the bridge under the spotlight there. Notice the funnel sponson that I am removing to model the 

proper one for Deutschland, which will have the 4-large searchlights. I still need to model some more features to the bridge and masts.

• Cool 1