Battleship_Elisabeth

Notre Dame Cathedral fully engulfed, burning to the ground.

102 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
4,855 posts
5,133 battles

vPFpWsz.jpg

The central spire collapsed as of about 5 minutes ago.

Does France not possess air tankers or helicopters with buckets? I can only assume they fear causing further damage with drops but... c'mon, man - you're losing the whole thing at this point. The Cathedral was started in 1160 - almost 1000 years with no major fires, and our modern world can't even put one out. What a friggin' disgrace.

• Bad 4

[NERO]
Members
3,606 posts

I've been following it on Twitter since it started... I'm honestly really heartbroken by this. So much history just burning to ashes and I still don't see a single hose on it yet. 

• Bad 1

[KNMSU]
Members
4,855 posts
5,133 battles
Just now, gprix84 said:

Wow that's a terrible tragedy

Yes, it's just horrible. I imagine that the stone walls have served as a kind of crude oven. The interior must be a complete catastrophe, with even metals melted. 

• Bad 1

[LOS]
Members
629 posts
9,253 battles

A huge tragedy.  Horrible.

I'm Jewish and this tragedy goes to my heart.

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
Just now, Sinton said:

A huge tragedy.  Horrible.

I'm Jewish and this tragedy goes to my heart.

What!? How bad is it!? That’s a very famous place, and a wonderful piece of architecture.

[1-]
Beta Testers
38 posts
5,159 battles

Looks really bad and day after palm sunday when so many people were probably there.  Certainly hope it was an accident.

Members
1,747 posts
8,089 battles

Many old buildings, especially churches, are fire traps. 

A large church up the road from my home was struck by lightning a few years back and burned to the ground. The FD responded in minutes but could not save it b/c it had never been retrofitted with the proper sprinkler systems. 

[KNMSU]
Members
4,855 posts
5,133 battles

It took a full forty five minutes (at least) before the first fire truck with a ladder high enough to reach the roof arrived on the scene. Honest question: what were the Parisian fire services doing? There isn't a chance in the world that a similar fire in NYC or Boston or whatever wouldn't be completely under attack within 10 minutes (or much less) - every outfit in the city would be flying towards it. Yet I watched the thing burn without any significant counterattack for the better part of an hour.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Bad 1

[MIA]
Supertester, Supertester
6,437 posts
7,765 battles
10 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

vPFpWsz.jpg

Does France not possess air tankers or helicopters with buckets? I can only assume they fear causing further damage with drops but... c'mon, man - you're losing the whole thing at this point. The Cathedral was started in 1160 - almost 1000 years with no major fires, and our modern world can't even put one out. What a friggin' disgrace.

For the air tankers - it's damned if they do, damned if they don't. Why? the materials the cathedral was built with, water would wash away and cause further damage. On top of that, having planes drop heavy water on an already weakened structure could collapse it all. It may be better to have it just burn and attempt to save the rest. I hate to say this.

A tragedy for sure.

• Cool 2

[1-]
Beta Testers
38 posts
5,159 battles

Nergy the so get over it part of the comment was unwarrented.

I am an agnostic myself but I recognize the importance of this cathedral to so many people, 13 million visitors a year.

I,m sad that one of the most significant buildings in the world is possibly going to be gone.

[KNMSU]
Members
4,855 posts
5,133 battles
7 minutes ago, Nergy said:

Everything we humans built will go that way, eventually, so get over it.

Tasteless. If you cannot appreciate history, what the heck are you doing on the forums for a game that celebrates it?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[KNMSU]
Members
4,855 posts
5,133 battles
3 minutes ago, Schnitchelkid01_ said:

This is terrible I just learned about this!!! Oh my word!! Wow!!!

How many centuries has this been standing??

Over 8. It was begun in 1160, and completed in 1260. To put that in perspective, this was hundreds of years before fully plate-armored knights were even a thing.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,643 battles

Man, that's horrible. Such a loss of history.

Members
2,145 posts
10,639 battles
23 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

vPFpWsz.jpg

It takes hours to get one of those tankers loaded and in the air.  In addition, you have a fire encased on the underside by stone vaults and on the top side by a lead roof.  There's no way to get the water in.  

[WOLFB]
Members
261 posts
5,563 battles

Considering how the central tower/dome and roof where being restored and under construction, i'm guessing it might have been an electrical fire from the equipment being used.

Regardless, as a history buff this is definitely a blow to human history as a whole, hope it gets resolved soon so it doesnt spread to the surrounding buildings, or even worse, the bell towers.

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
6 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

It took a full forty five minutes (at least) before the first fire truck with a ladder high enough to reach the roof arrived on the scene. Honest question: what were the Parisian fire services doing? There isn't a chance in the world that a similar fire in NYC or Boston or whatever wouldn't be completely under attack within 10 minutes (or much less) - every outfit in the city would be flying towards it. Yet I watched the thing burn without any significant counterattack for the better part of an hour.

Yeah NYC Firefighters are pretty awesome, because they have needed to be. 

I am shocked over the French taking so long to respond over a world heritage sight.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,188 posts
13,643 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Over 8. It was begun in 1160, and completed in 1260. To put that in perspective, this was hundreds of years before fully plate-armored knights were even a thing.

The cathedral was 500 years old before the US even existed.

• Cool 2

Members
2,145 posts
10,639 battles
8 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

It's because they haven't needed a ladder truck that high til now in any of the surrounding area.  The city code prevents buildings from being taller than Notre Dame Cathedral for miles and miles around, so they didn't have trucks anywhere near there that could cope.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,739 posts
10,828 battles
28 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

vPFpWsz.jpg

Yeah or even fire fighting boats since they are near the river.

Word is though they have managed to pull at least some of the art and artifacts out of the cathedral in time. And no people are hurt so far at least. 

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.