Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JackG79

Musashi Build

16 comments in this topic

Members
214 posts
4,372 battles

Hey Gents!!  

I recently came to the forums asking advice on my North Carolina build, and got some amazing feedback.  I can't tell you all how grateful for the help I am.  Well here I am again.  

When we had the free Cap'n skill resets, I reset a bunch of my ships that I have been struggling in and plan to rebuild them from the ground up.  

I was wondering if I could get input on what is the best Musashi build in this current game meta.    

I currently have a 14pt dedicated captain that I run in her.  I am saving this captain for when I make it to the Yamato.   But currently i only want to focus on the Musashi. 

If anyone is willing to give advice on what the best Captain Skills, As well as upgrades and consumables,  I am trying to get a soild build going in the Musashi.  

I think when I first put it together, the build I used was outdated.  

Thanks for any and all help in advance!  

Edited by JackG79
Edited for spelling/grammar mistakes.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,596 posts
13,513 battles

There is basically no reason to use different captain/module builds between Yam and Mushi. Only difference is you'll take the leg mod on Yam when you get it... otherwise the standard BB survivability builds are fine. 

• Cool 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,442 battles

Standard tank build as per normal:Smile_Default:

1. PT (PM is also good if you use Yamamoto bc he has a PM bonus)
  2. EM and AR
  3. SI and BoS (vigilance as a wildcard)
  4. CE and FP (some use RPF for kicks, and AFT is probably viable too, but your AA is crap either way)

With 14 points I would be going with PT, EM, SI, BoS, and FP. CE can wait because you usually are behind the front in Musashi, and AR is icing on the cake. 

For upgrades its also pretty standard. 

1. MB mod 1, but any of the 3 is okay. The special upgrade for spotter plane might be fun too. Musashi has the longest active spotter plane in the game... a +30% would be an even bigger boost
  2. Damage control Mod 1
  3. Aiming systems mod 1 (to get that shotgun dispersion down)
  4. Probably damage control mod 2. Propulsion might be interesting (especially if you already have BoS and flags) because a lot of people play Musashi as stop and go.
  5. Concealment. If you take vigilance and hate torps, I suppose you could make target acquisition work... depends on how much you value concealment and how far back you play
  6. MB mod 3. When you are overmatching cruisers and knocking citadels, good reload=good games.

Depends on how you play it. It can easily be played outside of 20km fighting only its own dispersion and hitting big targets, or you can be up closer as a deadly 460mm shotgun. 

I would say you are going to want spotter plane. It has great dispersion and gives Musashi and Yam their mighty reach... so long as you can stand the dispersion. Your AA isnt too sharp, but you should be a good distance back and your torpedo protection is enormous, on top of the already low damage of CV drops. 

Members
1,925 posts
7,591 battles

Agree on the basic survivability build. Yamato and Musahi probably benefit the most from this build. 

In order: PT/EM, AR, SI, FP, CE, BoS, EM. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
4,398 posts
4,784 battles

My IJB BB captain build:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000000100010100001000100000119

With all the CVs the Concealment Expert skill may not be worth it and something like this might be better:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000011100010100001000100000019

[WOLF3]
Members
25,275 posts
22,294 battles
19 minutes ago, pikohan said:

There is basically no reason to use different captain/module builds between Yam and Mushi. Only difference is you'll take the leg mod on Yam when you get it... otherwise the standard BB survivability builds are fine. 

Very much this.

Yamato these days is built for Main Battery - Survival Hybrid.  I'd concur on the two build styles @Helstrem linked.

For Musashi upgrades, ASM1 & MBM3 and get to work.  Yammie players get the nice Legendary for replacing MBM3.

Secondaries?  Maybe only for Co-op.  I fooled around with it on Musashi even in Randoms but even to me, that's not the "PVP Ideal" for them.

AA?  Musashi's AA suite is terrible for Tier IX.  It's like a bad Tier VI BB AA setup.  With the foundation of AA being so bad, it's simply not worth reinforcing them.  You put whipped cream and a cherry on top of a turd, it's still a turd, so no point in building up Musashi's atrocious AA.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,442 battles
17 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

With all the CVs the Concealment Expert skill may not be worth it and something like this might be better:

http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000000011100010100001000100000019

Does it really need the consumables reload though? I would MUCH rather take Vigilance or AFT... but it might just be me:Smile_hiding:

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,212 battles
1 hour ago, JackG79 said:

Hey Gents!!  

I recently came to the forums asking advice on my North Carolina build, and got some amazing feedback.  I can't tell you all how grateful for the help I am.  Well here I am again.  

When we had the free Cap'n skill resets, I reset a bunch of my ships that I have been struggling in and plan to rebuild them from the ground up.  

I was wondering if I could get input on what is the best Musashi build in this current game meta.    

I currently have a 14pt dedicated captain that I run in her.  I am saving this captain for when I make it to the Yamato.   But currently i only want to focus on the Musashi. 

If anyone is willing to give advice on what the best Captain Skills, As well as upgrades and consumables,  I am trying to get a soild build going in the Musashi.  

I think when I first put it together, the build I used was outdated.  

Thanks for any and all help in advance!  

Hey JackG79,

We appreciate you coming to the forums and asking your questions. There are many knowledgeable players on the forums that will have input on this topic. I will give you what I play as a build in BBs and also explain the build the best I can. I will give you a build for 14 points since that is what you currently have and a 19 point build that I use regularly.

So onto the build:

Tier 1 (1 point): Priority Target: Simple as I like to know how many ships have me targeted. Diving a little deep into this skill this can really help you in a BB to know if a DD is trying to torpedo you. For example, you are still spotted even after your gun bloom is supposed to go away, this means there is a DD close enough to keep you spotted. A light bulb in your head should go off to be expecting torpedoes soon and to get maneuvering. The more information you can get and take in the better.

Tier 2 (2 points): Expert Marksman: Simple explanation is it helps your guns rotate faster thus keeping them on target more. This is a skill I take on almost all the ships I play as my first tier 2 captain skill.

Tier 3 (3 Points): Superintendent: Plain and simple having the extra heal on a BB helps you tank more and recover damage to keep you alive. The argument can be made for Basics of Survivability but I will get to that in a moment.

Tier 4 (4 Points): Concealment Expert: Now in this age of CVs everywhere this skill does lose some of its luster but it is still the best skill IMO at this tier to take first and here is why: the ability to disengage is so important in this game and getting yourself to a better position. With some of the higher tier ships if you do not take this skill you will be spotted from the moon (i.e. secondary spec GK but that is ok). Your other option here is Fire Prevention and this isn't a bad skill either to take first but I feel in combination with Concealment Expert it is stronger.

Points 11-14: Fire Prevention and it isn't even close. Just as we discussed for the first Tier 4 skill this could be it but I tend to take it second on most BBs. To me this is a must have skill for BBs unless you are trying to do a secondary build on certain ships or an AA build. This skill is so important right now with so many potential ways to be lit on fire.

Points 15-17: I take Basics of Survivability to take less damage from fires, flooding and decrease the time modules are knocked out. You can make the argument here also for BFT but I haven't ran the numbers and not sure if it is that big of boost. Maybe someone else can help you with this =). For the Musashi especially AA doesn't matter.

Points 18-19: There are 3 potential choices here: High Alert, Jack of All Trades and Adrenaline Rush. You cannot go wrong with any of them but I would lean towards High Alert for survival and Adrenaline Rush for Damage output.

I hope this helps a little bit and remember you may find a different way that is more comfortable to you but this just happens to be what I use the most for BBs =).

Good Luck!

• Cool 3

Members
1,933 posts
8,915 battles

Does ASM1 really help all that much? I have MBM2 to help with the awful turret traverse, especially since the IJN doesnt have special commanders with enhanced skills like the other major nations do. I've found, however, that Mus can't hit the broadside of a Yamato at anything over 5km... the dispersion is terrible. 

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,084 posts
4,442 battles
23 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

Does ASM1 really help all that much? I have MBM2 to help with the awful turret traverse, especially since the IJN doesnt have special commanders with enhanced skills like the other major nations do. I've found, however, that Mus can't hit the broadside of a Yamato at anything over 5km... the dispersion is terrible. 

It improves dispersion, which Musashi really needs... also the MBM2 hurts reload which is never good. Typically Musashi plays a bit further back, so the bad turret traverse isnt a huge downside

Also I dunno if your counting Yamammoto or not, but he has an increased EM perk

• Cool 1

Members
214 posts
4,372 battles
1 hour ago, iKami said:

Hey JackG79,

We appreciate you coming to the forums and asking your questions. There are many knowledgeable players on the forums that will have input on this topic. I will give you what I play as a build in BBs and also explain the build the best I can. I will give you a build for 14 points since that is what you currently have and a 19 point build that I use regularly.

So onto the build:

Tier 1 (1 point): Priority Target: Simple as I like to know how many ships have me targeted. Diving a little deep into this skill this can really help you in a BB to know if a DD is trying to torpedo you. For example, you are still spotted even after your gun bloom is supposed to go away, this means there is a DD close enough to keep you spotted. A light bulb in your head should go off to be expecting torpedoes soon and to get maneuvering. The more information you can get and take in the better.

Tier 2 (2 points): Expert Marksman: Simple explanation is it helps your guns rotate faster thus keeping them on target more. This is a skill I take on almost all the ships I play as my first tier 2 captain skill.

Tier 3 (3 Points): Superintendent: Plain and simple having the extra heal on a BB helps you tank more and recover damage to keep you alive. The argument can be made for Basics of Survivability but I will get to that in a moment.

Tier 4 (4 Points): Concealment Expert: Now in this age of CVs everywhere this skill does lose some of its luster but it is still the best skill IMO at this tier to take first and here is why: the ability to disengage is so important in this game and getting yourself to a better position. With some of the higher tier ships if you do not take this skill you will be spotted from the moon (i.e. secondary spec GK but that is ok). Your other option here is Fire Prevention and this isn't a bad skill either to take first but I feel in combination with Concealment Expert it is stronger.

Points 11-14: Fire Prevention and it isn't even close. Just as we discussed for the first Tier 4 skill this could be it but I tend to take it second on most BBs. To me this is a must have skill for BBs unless you are trying to do a secondary build on certain ships or an AA build. This skill is so important right now with so many potential ways to be lit on fire.

Points 15-17: I take Basics of Survivability to take less damage from fires, flooding and decrease the time modules are knocked out. You can make the argument here also for BFT but I haven't ran the numbers and not sure if it is that big of boost. Maybe someone else can help you with this =). For the Musashi especially AA doesn't matter.

Points 18-19: There are 3 potential choices here: High Alert, Jack of All Trades and Adrenaline Rush. You cannot go wrong with any of them but I would lean towards High Alert for survival and Adrenaline Rush for Damage output.

I hope this helps a little bit and remember you may find a different way that is more comfortable to you but this just happens to be what I use the most for BBs =).

Good Luck!

This is exactly what I was looking for.   Thank you so much man!!  What upgrades do you choose run with her?  Also, for consumables, do you choose the Fighter, or the spy plane? The way that AA is now, I was thinking that the fighters could help to keep the torpedo happy airplanes away.  Currently i am running spotter, but just because that was what was on the build I had found when i fist got it before the new year.   

Thanks again for all the help!!  

And thank you everyone else who posted information.  This is such a big help! You guys are great!! 

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,212 battles
Just now, JackG79 said:

This is exactly what I was looking for.   Thank you so much man!!  What upgrades do you choose run with her?  Also, for consumables, do you choose the Fighter, or the spy plane? The way that AA is now, I was thinking that the fighters could help to keep the torpedo happy airplanes away.  Currently i am running spotter, but just because that was what was on the build I had found when i fist got it before the new year.   

Thanks again for all the help!!  

And thank you everyone else who posted information.  This is such a big help! You guys are great!! 

Hey Jack,

Glad I could be of some help to you! Now to your questions. 

Upgrade Slots:

Slot 1 - Main Armaments Mod 1: This will help keep your turrets intact.

Slot 2 - Damage Control System Mod 1: Helps survivability.

Slot 3 - Aiming System Mod 1 Plain and simple will help your dispersion.

Slot 4 - Damage Control System Mod 2: Lowers flooding and being on fire time.

Slot 5 - Concealment System Mod 1: Helps you break contact if you need to.

Slot 6 - Main Battery Mod 3: Decreases your reload time in exchange for slower rotating turrets. 

So in Slot 4 you could also take the "Steering Gears Mod 2" if you want to be a little more nimble. I do take this in some BBs that I move more in.

Consumables: make sure you take premium consumables if you can afford them!

Slot 1: Premium DCP.

Slot 2: Premium Repair Party

Slot 3: Premium Spotting Aircraft (honestly sometimes I forget about this one).

The first 2 are standard and should be taken on any ship you play mid tier and higher I would say. Slot 3 is where you might have some wiggle room but I will tell you the utility of the Spotter Plane cannot be overlooked. I know it has a weird angled top down view but the key is learning how to use this view to your advantage. This view allows you to shoot over some islands you couldn't see a clear shot or even helps you blindfire into smoke to maybe hit that pesky cruiser. This is a skill that takes many games to master and learning how to use a spotter plane correctly is tricky. Put in the time and practice and you can master it!

• Cool 1

Members
214 posts
4,372 battles
2 minutes ago, iKami said:

Hey Jack,

Glad I could be of some help to you! Now to your questions. 

Upgrade Slots:

Slot 1 - Main Armaments Mod 1: This will help keep your turrets intact.

Slot 2 - Damage Control System Mod 1: Helps survivability.

Slot 3 - Aiming System Mod 1 Plain and simple will help your dispersion.

Slot 4 - Damage Control System Mod 2: Lowers flooding and being on fire time.

Slot 5 - Concealment System Mod 1: Helps you break contact if you need to.

Slot 6 - Main Battery Mod 3: Decreases your reload time in exchange for slower rotating turrets. 

So in Slot 4 you could also take the "Steering Gears Mod 2" if you want to be a little more nimble. I do take this in some BBs that I move more in.

Consumables: make sure you take premium consumables if you can afford them!

Slot 1: Premium DCP.

Slot 2: Premium Repair Party

Slot 3: Premium Spotting Aircraft (honestly sometimes I forget about this one).

The first 2 are standard and should be taken on any ship you play mid tier and higher I would say. Slot 3 is where you might have some wiggle room but I will tell you the utility of the Spotter Plane cannot be overlooked. I know it has a weird angled top down view but the key is learning how to use this view to your advantage. This view allows you to shoot over some islands you couldn't see a clear shot or even helps you blindfire into smoke to maybe hit that pesky cruiser. This is a skill that takes many games to master and learning how to use a spotter plane correctly is tricky. Put in the time and practice and you can master it!

Thanks so much!!   

I had the spotter plane mounted, but wasn't sure if i should switch it out for fighters, but i'll keep it intact. 

One thing i forgot to ask you, is if there is any flags you try to run on musashi specifically?  I run most of the same flags on BB's..  fire and flood as well as recovery increase.  does this sound right? 

Members
1,933 posts
8,915 battles
1 hour ago, _1204_ said:

It improves dispersion, which Musashi really needs... also the MBM2 hurts reload which is never good. Typically Musashi plays a bit further back, so the bad turret traverse isnt a huge downside

Also I dunno if your counting Yamammoto or not, but he has an increased EM perk

In co-op there really is no such thing as playing "back" if you want any points.

I'm meaning the commanders that come from the armory... 2 US, 2 Brit, 2 French, 2 German, 2 Russian... ZERO Japanese. What is with that exactly?

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,496 posts
18,621 battles

Here's my build

Musashi Tier 9
Build by Tpaktop2_1
Build 0001
Consumables – Buy all premiums
Fighter II would be better since weak AA, however Spotting aircraft II works too

Upgrades
==
Slot 1- Auxiliary Armaments Modification 1
Slot 2- Damage Control System Modification 1
Slot 3- Aiming Systems Modification 1
Slot 4- Damage Control System Modification 2
Slot 5- Concealment System Modification 1
Slot 6- Main Battery Modification 3

Signal Flags
==
X X - - - -
X - X- X - X -
  X X - - X
- - - - - - 
   - -

Commander skill sets
==
1-  Priority Target
3-  Expert Marksman
6-  Superintendent
10- Concealment Expert
12-   Adrenaline Rush
16- Fire Prevention
19- Vigilance

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,212 battles
15 hours ago, JackG79 said:

Thanks so much!!   

I had the spotter plane mounted, but wasn't sure if i should switch it out for fighters, but i'll keep it intact. 

One thing i forgot to ask you, is if there is any flags you try to run on musashi specifically?  I run most of the same flags on BB's..  fire and flood as well as recovery increase.  does this sound right? 

When it comes to signal flags it depends on what you are trying to do =).

I would suggest the flags help your chance of survival: India Delta, India Yankee, Juliet Yankee Bissotwo, November Foxtrot and Juliet Charlie if you fear detonating in a BB.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this