You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dogget

When you come to a YORCK in the road take it?

17 comments in this topic

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles

It's everybody's favorite pest, DOG-(approaching but never reaching WOWS)- GET.

Admiral Yogi admonished us wisely but obscurely, to take the damn thing.  But was he also channeling Jesus Jones and mean Right Here Right Now?

My intended quest to get the Fiji, was tempered by yawls advice and so I turned to the Leander.  Events led my to look at the German cruiser line, to sea what it would take to get to. say, Tier V.  Looking at the Cahonnes Burg, I, of course snooped at the Yorck, then up to the Adm. Hipper.

So, being the type of American Churchill had in mind (will ALWAYS do the right thing after trying EVERY other option), I decided to actually look and see what I might have in that line; from which to calculate the cost to get to a gnu Yorck.

But lo and behave, I already have (had?) a freakin Nurnberg!

Sooooo...

My road has a 3-tined fork:

Leander, starting from a previous Black Swan;

Yorck, and/or on hippity hop to Hipper (leaning to avoid T8, though);

Des Moines, my self-perceived raison d'etre and wildest dream (with all that having a <first> T10 would involve).

Off-course, they are not mutually reclusive, so they are all within my ken, but still...

Good advice is worth its weight in Dubloons.  Thanks.

• Funny 1

Members
2,637 posts
7,903 battles

first off, love the title.... I do enjoy pun based humour.

honestly get Leander and get Fiji, the Fiji naysayers are perfectly entitled to their wrong opinions.... but she is an amazing ship that rewards cunning and calculated risk taking..... or just bullying Emeralds, Nurnbergs and Omahas.

eventually work your way to Des Moines but be in no rush and enjoy the American Heavy cruisers in all their glory

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
59 minutes ago, Dogget said:

Admiral Yogi admonished us wisely but obscurely, to take the damn thing.  But was he also channeling Jesus Jones and mean Right Here Right Now?

My intended quest to get the Fiji, was tempered by yawls advice and so I turned to the Leander.  Events led my to look at the German cruiser line, to sea what it would take to get to. say, Tier V.  Looking at the Cahonnes Burg, I, of course snooped at the Yorck, then up to the Adm. Hipper.

So, being the type of American Churchill had in mind (will ALWAYS do the right thing after trying EVERY other option), I decided to actually look and see what I might have in that line; from which to calculate the cost to get to a gnu Yorck.

Sooooo...

Des Moines, my self-perceived raison d'etre and wildest dream (with all that having a <first> T10 would involve).

Off-course, they are not mutually reclusive, so they are all within my ken, but still...

Hmm.  A bit surprised at the total dissing of the ship who's name is missing.  But your successor in response seems to agree.  (If I understood his post correctly.)

Thank you(s).  Your opinion has weight (occupies space and shall not be easily destroyed).

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
44 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

first off, love the title.... I do enjoy pun based humour.

honestly get Leander and get Fiji, the Fiji naysayers are perfectly entitled to their wrong opinions.... but she is an amazing ship that rewards cunning and calculated risk taking..... or just bullying Emeralds, Nurnbergs and Omahas.

eventually work your way to Des Moines but be in no rush and enjoy the American Heavy cruisers in all their glory

You can see part of my problem; I can't even reply to the right post.

My response to you is conveniently attached to my original post.

So, at least I hope I'm clear that I am not engaging in a dialogue with myself.  (If I were, I'd lose anyway.)

[WOLFG]
Members
27,103 posts
7,217 battles

Eventually getting to Hindenburg is a worthy goal as well. It's basically the Swiss Army knife of T10 cruisers. Never the best in any situation, but never sub-par in any situation.

Beta Testers
474 posts
2,881 battles

The Yorck is one of the strangest ships in the game. We go from the Nürnberg, a dedicated German WW2 minelayer that had a quiet, but distinguished career to this...thing that was a blue print for a WW1 style ship that is Frankensteined with (fictitious) WW2 parts.

[MAPO]
Members
163 posts
5,114 battles

Fiji is an outright boss and dominates in her tier, but Yorck is no slouch either.  Many players have less than fond memories of Yorck from long ago due to her gunnery, but she was changed so that her AP and HE have the same muzzle velocities, so her gunnery is very comfortable, and her range is really good.  Yorck really does set you up nicely for the rest of the German cruiser line, as all the remaining ships have similar gun handling and range and powerful, but short ranged torps.  Roon is the oddball, going back to Nurnberg turret arrangement and giving up 2 torp launchers, but still quite strong.  The thing about Yorck that sets her apart from her tier mates is her armor.  While she has the 16mm bows, she has 25mm upper belt armor on top of her 80mm (?) belt.  Angled well, she can bounce up to 356mm BB AP.  I once angled in and rushed a Lyon with Yorck and he gave me all 16 barrels of AP.  And then I laughed as the shells either missed or bounced and I point blank torp killed the Lyon.  Quite satisfying.

After Yorck, the rest of the cruisers all have 27mm external plating, so you can bow tank and rush 381mm armed BBs since their AP can't overmatch you.  Plus, they all have the built-in IFHE, so their HE will hurt almost anything it hits.  

OTOH, while British cruisers are made of paper, they do have heals and smoke and better stealth.  I like both cruisers and kept both cruisers.  I did get the Fiji first, but stalled out on Edinburgh, so started grinding German cruisers and finished that line.  Hindy is my first and only T10.

• Cool 1

[CUTEZ]
-Members-
1,642 posts
1,190 battles
4 hours ago, Dogget said:

Sooooo...

Yorck is an interesting ship to play. I used to really dislike the Yorck (this was before it received some buffs) but now I actually play the Yorck for fun. The Yorck is definitely not a ship you can carry a team with but the HE is really good and the AP is nothing to sneeze at. The key that I have found to making the Yorck work is throttle jockeying competently and using the good range at tier 7 to have the time needed to juke incoming shells. 

The Yorck really shines when you get an even tier match with some lower tier stragglers. You can really punish cruisers of equal and lower tier with the AP and the HE does really good damage to BBs of those tiers. What I have found funny to me about the Yorck is shooting other German BBs I really struggled in doing good damage. Another peculiarity of the Yorck is that it has 210mm guns. 

[FML]
Members
3,654 posts
14,584 battles
4 hours ago, Dogget said:

Sooooo...

Dear sir, 

At this time I must point out that the Des Moines is an American ship, and not a Russian ship. As such, one must not use free XP to get her because no rushing. The reason why everyone remembers their first T10 is because it was so difficult and getting there is such an achievement. And the Des Moines must be ground out the hard way because that is the American way.

Furthermore, learning how to Nurnberg is very important in how to understand #cruiserlyfe as, if you can survive a battle in that thing, you can survive in anything. Plus she is actually a good ship setting long range fires. Still, the German heavy cruisers are solid ships; I enjoy the Hindenburg.

Finally, I add my voice regarding skipping the T2-T5 UK light cruisers. Unlike other ships described here, those ships are rubbish; they are often outgunned by the destroyers they are meant to be killing. But the Leander is a very solid ship (I have 700 battles just in her for fun!) and the Fiji is an excellent ship (600 battles in that one too). But the UK CL line is not for new players or the faint of heart. 

Finally, if you are looking for some guidance on how to play these ships and how to counter them, see this shameless plug: 

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[KAPPA]
Members
1,326 posts
7,199 battles

I have an interesting perspective on this issue. In my case, I have the German cruiser line done and I can definitely state it is a very worthwhile lineup and Yorck is actually one of the highlights. I had it even back when it was widely considered bad, but really it took a fairly unique playstyle and an understanding of what she is to get great results out of her. Some of this no longer applies as strongly since her buffs, but is still a bit interesting to know. She is pretty much a proto-Hipper hull with guns and turrets from Germany's first attempt at a battlecruiser (based on bad intel), SMS Blücher. These guns have/had the interesting combination in game of WWI AP shells that had incredible drag on them, but hit like dog gone freight trains inside 10km and HE shells made for coastal defense in WWII and they had very good ballistic properties out at range. It used to be that you'd use HE at ranges beyond 10km as your AP became very floaty after that point, but they tweaked the AP and I can confidently make hits out to about 13km for sure, but I still often default to my old habits, as they've still been working well. 

For US cruisers, I'm not actually at Des Moines yet, still working on both T9 options right now, but I recently scraped up enough coal to get Salem, and it is very good indeed, even though the shells act like they have parachutes on them. In the Royal Navy department, I'm in the final phases of the Leander grind, so I can't comment directly on Fiji, but from what I've seen and what I've heard, it's a very good cruiser and some even go so far as to call it OP. Considering it's similar to Belfast and Edinburgh, I can see where they are coming from. All of them are pretty solid choices from what I can tell, although for me at least the Roon was a heck of a speed bump on the way to Hindenburg.

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
2 hours ago, Batmantis_ said:

Fiji is an outright boss and dominates in her tier, but Yorck is no slouch either.  Many players have less than fond memories of Yorck from long ago due to her gunnery, but she was changed so that her AP and HE have the same muzzle velocities, so her gunnery is very comfortable, and her range is really good.  Yorck really does set you up nicely for the rest of the German cruiser line, as all the remaining ships have similar gun handling and range and powerful, but short ranged torps.  Roon is the oddball, going back to Nurnberg turret arrangement and giving up 2 torp launchers, but still quite strong.  The thing about Yorck that sets her apart from her tier mates is her armor.  While she has the 16mm bows, she has 25mm upper belt armor on top of her 80mm (?) belt.  Angled well, she can bounce up to 356mm BB AP.  I once angled in and rushed a Lyon with Yorck and he gave me all 16 barrels of AP.  And then I laughed as the shells either missed or bounced and I point blank torp killed the Lyon.  Quite satisfying.

After Yorck, the rest of the cruisers all have 27mm external plating, so you can bow tank and rush 381mm armed BBs since their AP can't overmatch you.  Plus, they all have the built-in IFHE, so their HE will hurt almost anything it hits.  

OTOH, while British cruisers are made of paper, they do have heals and smoke and better stealth.  I like both cruisers and kept both cruisers.  I did get the Fiji first, but stalled out on Edinburgh, so started grinding German cruisers and finished that line.  Hindy is my first and only T10.

Thanks for all the intel.  Your comments were more in line with what prompted me to inquire about the Yorck (and beyond).  

Apparently the buff was real.  The only quick replay I caught was pre-buff and didn't have many good things to say about it.

So, whatever you do, don't tell 212 AB and Master Diggs that I am inclined to pick up the German line from my Nurnberg and, other than prolly go for Leander too, to NOT do what they so clearly ordered me to do and ignore the Yorck, sell every other ship I own and buy nothing but Fijis.  (Hell, they barely have over 12,000 battles between them, so how much could they realky know?)

I drove the Hindy a couple times as a loaner in Clan I was in for a minute, but really only learned that I could quickly get killed in a T10 cruiser, too.

It's a good thing I will love my new incarnation, because it's clear that maxing the German and USN cruiser lines and nabbing the UK thru T7, will take a minute.

Thanks. 

• Cool 1

[FREE_]
[FREE_]
Members
102 posts
5,208 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Dear sir, 

At this time I must point out that the Des Moines is an American ship, and not a Russian ship. As such, one must not use free XP to get her because no rushing. The reason why everyone remembers their first T10 is because it was so difficult and getting there is such an achievement. And the Des Moines must be ground out the hard way because that is the American way.

Furthermore, learning how to Nurnberg is very important in how to understand #cruiserlyfe as, if you can survive a battle in that thing, you can survive in anything. Plus she is actually a good ship setting long range fires. Still, the German heavy cruisers are solid ships; I enjoy the Hindenburg.

Finally, I add my voice regarding skipping the T2-T5 UK light cruisers. Unlike other ships described here, those ships are rubbish; they are often outgunned by the destroyers they are meant to be killing. But the Leander is a very solid ship (I have 700 battles just in her for fun!) and the Fiji is an excellent ship (600 battles in that one too). But the UK CL line is not for new players or the faint of heart. 

Finally, if you are looking for some guidance on how to play these ships and how to counter them, see this shameless plug: 

Thanks.  Shameless plugs are welcome here, as is advice.  I can't even master matching my responses to the right comment.

I'll 'berg-er my way up the German line and it looks like I will wind up getting every ship known to man or bot.

Will check out your guide.  Thanks.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,853 posts
3,584 battles

There are very few BAD T7s.  Part of what makes it such a fun tier to play is its assortment of very solid options.  

Yorck and Fiji are very different ships, but both are quite good.  Fiji is a straight up monster, but Yorck can definitely hold its own in the right hands.

It'll feel like a tank compared to the 'splosionberg, for sure!

• Funny 1

[MAPO]
Members
163 posts
5,114 battles
1 hour ago, DerKrampus said:

Yorck and Fiji are very different ships, but both are quite good.  Fiji is a straight up monster, but Yorck can definitely hold its own in the right hands.

It'll feel like a tank compared to the 'splosionberg, for sure!

^ This for sure!

Members
103 posts
21,264 battles

Hi!

Yorck is a fine tier 7.  I still have her.  Excellent cruiser.  I have salem.  But overall, des moines, hindenburg and Minotaur are all excellent tier xs.    I sold my leander.  Still have edinburgh because of the premo camo from a mission.   GL and HF!

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
13,680 posts

I liked Yorck before it was cool the buffs. 

Like Leander, kept it.  Like Edinburgh.   But Fiji... meh, one of those ships that feels too fragile to take hits and too ponderous to avoid hits... my least favorite kind of ship.