You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

How often do CVs die last, or at all.

159 comments in this topic

[SQUAD]
Members
2,136 posts
12,254 battles

I propose that CVs pay little penalty for play.

Ships die in the process of a battle. I would guess that the death rate of CVs is very low compared to all other ships. As such, there is no penalty as such for CV that compares to what other ships have to deal with.

What price do CVs pay that compares with the death rates of other ships?

• Cool 11
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 16

[PVE]
Members
3,816 posts
16,318 battles

Anecdotally, one CV about 90% of the time they survive in the game I play.  2 CV's, lower and I'd bet in the 80's......   And, the tiers create different survival rates....  It would be interesting to see the real numbers and I'm sure, WG could provide them.......but, would never do that.....  

Members
488 posts
11 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Ships die in the process of a battle. I would guess that the death rate of CVs is very low compared to all other ships. As such, there is no penalty as such for CV that compares to what other ships have to deal with.

If you lose your planes it doesn’t matter if you’re still alive.   You basically become a sailboat.  

If you want to survive till the end as a BB but have 12 guns self destruct if you fire only three of them, with 36 guns in reserve, 3 guns every 5 minutes respawned, you’ll realize surviving till the end becomes meaningless if you end up having almost no ability to attack.  

Bottom line: go play a cv to find out how much they’ve been gimped and how they’re not as powerful as you think they are.   When all your targets stay grouped so you still experience a total wipe with only one attack run, get back to us after you have no planes left.   

Carriers are forced to only be able to attack part of the time unless you wat to become a useless sailboat.  

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 3

[FC]
Members
3 posts
3,318 battles

Well, the Credit and XP gain on cvs is really bad, at tier X even if you dont die a 170k damage with some objective ribbons game could give you about 400k gain and a mediocre game 70k could give you around 20k. Mind you this is with premium and money focused camos and flags. So while during the match they dont loose much, in the grand scheme you gain more by playing surface ships. There is also the loosing all your planes thing but that is kind off the player fault, Just like normal ships there are situations where you must do no thing in order to stay relevan later on. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,502 posts
14,121 battles

Carriers have the best survival rates, and kill/death ratios.

Clearly this does not cause any resentment.

Carriers can effectively separately yolo all 3 of their squadrons into say, a Worcester/Des Moines combo and then suffer 'inconvenience'.

I sure as hell wish I could run into 2 radar cruisers 3 times in a destroyer, or thrice broadside battleships at close range in a cruiser, or repeatedly sail broadside to that angry smoke screen in a BB and walk away 'inconvenienced'.

Oh well.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[-BSK-]
Members
1,481 posts
7,318 battles

I have seen plenty of matches where the team that should have won didn't because at the end game, a carrier that could not be found finished off wounded ships to steal the win.  Matches with two CVs you might as well flip a coin, it adds a lot of RNG, plus one side might have AA spec ships and the other terrible AA. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,366 posts
16,663 battles

How often? Probably not as often as you think. CVs are so hated by many of the game's population they get immediately targeted upon being spotted. Some players will even chase them ignoring caps that could be taken or other red ships that would die easier. I know that I have DDs in my fleet that I consider dedicated CV hunters.

I did have a game a couple days ago T8 with 2 CVs on each team. After the CVs picked off everyone else one by one...I was the last one to go in my BB... it was just the 4 CVs left to hash it out. That game stuck out in my mind because I thought at the time that it was unusual that all the CVs had survived to the end game.

[GREEK]
Members
1,007 posts

Pretty much every game they are the last alive unless they did something stupid.  Which is one of the reasons they are broken.  Attack from any range is terrible for this game.  Surprised the genius's at WG HQ couldn't figure out another ARTY is bad for their games.  WoT taught them nothing.

Edited by JonnyFreedom
  • Boring 4

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,457 battles

OP you are operating under the false assumption that CVs are supposed to die like inferior surface ships.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 6

Members
783 posts
1 hour ago, mofton said:

Carriers have the best survival rates, and kill/death ratios.

Clearly this does not cause any resentment.

Carriers can effectively separately yolo all 3 of their squadrons into say, a Worcester/Des Moines combo and then suffer 'inconvenience'.

I sure as hell wish I could run into 2 radar cruisers 3 times in a destroyer, or thrice broadside battleships at close range in a cruiser, or repeatedly sail broadside to that angry smoke screen in a BB and walk away 'inconvenienced'.

Oh well.

Keep in mind that planes are basically CV's ammunition.  So every time you guys sling shells at targets you are doing the same thing that the cv does with planes.  Difference is, you dont run out of shells they do get deplaned.  As for survival rate, it doesnt matter, everyone pays full repair cost at end of battle.  These kinds of topics are just petty and pathetic.  

"Hey I dont like cv they need to be punished" Try actually playing them and see for yourself if there is no consequence for throwing planes into a Worcester.

• Cool 5
  • Meh 2

Members
2,633 posts
4,235 battles

Have you seen the cost of RUNNING a CV?  Trust me, CV's are already punished in the financial department plenty,  AND get less rewards for the work they do.  

Speaking of which,  wonder when they are going to adjust the credit cost and rewards of CV's?  Last I checked that was going to be the final thing on the docket for the CV rework.

• Boring 1

[CAST]
[CAST]
Members
2,537 posts
10,372 battles

CVs need the time just to make XP and credits, because they don't do it as quickly as other ships.  The ability to hide makes it harder to kill them outright, so they do survive longer if captained properly.  The game often comes down to having just the CVs alive because of this. 

In past games, you could have a couple of regular low health gun ships that could hide and survive for the win, but not now.  They could even engage and attack somewhat, but not now.  A CV can and will eliminate those low health gun ships, leaving just the CVs alive.  

One of the biggest issues I have with the long survival times of CVs, is that I have to wait the long game time to get my ship back. WG wants faster kill times for more games played, but it doesn't translate to getting back into a game, unless it is with a different ship.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,116 posts
15,182 battles
2 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

hmm not sure but it should be fairly common for a CV to die last. The entire playstyle depends on you staying unspotted often all the way on the back line. As far as penalty goes they do get weaker and weaker as the battle progresses (loosing planes), combat ships stay more or less as powerful for the entire battle. CV's when spotted are nearly helpless so there is that.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,419 posts
5,943 battles
Just now, paradat said:

hmm not sure but it should be fairly common for a CV to die last. The entire playstyle depends on you staying unspotted often all the way on the back line. As far as penalty goes they do get weaker and weaker as the battle progresses (loosing planes), combat ships stay more or less as powerful for the entire battle. CV's when spotted are nearly helpless so there is that.

Anything else that makes a mistake at the higher tiers tends to get deleted.  From a single mistake.  But, CVs need invulnerable everything plus the ability to attack from anywhere, just to make it fair for them.  Because they are CVs.  That makes sense.

• Funny 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
2 hours ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

You're one of those players that would rather live and lose than die and win, huh?

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,116 posts
15,182 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

Anything else that makes a mistake at the higher tiers tends to get deleted.  From a single mistake.  But, CVs need invulnerable everything plus the ability to attack from anywhere, just to make it fair for them.  Because they are CVs.  That makes sense.

LOL. Nothing else gets it's attack stopped in mid shot. 

So just for my own perspective on your position. Are you in the CV's are too powerful group?  

Give them a try if you have not. They are pretty hard to get damage numbers that equal your other ships. 

• Boring 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,419 posts
5,943 battles
Just now, paradat said:

LOL. Nothing else gets it's attack stopped in mid shot. 

So just for my own perspective on your position. Are you in the CV's are too powerful group?  

Give them a try if you have not. They are pretty hard to get damage numbers that equal your other ships. 

I'm in the "CVa have no hard counter" group.  Everything else in the game has multiple layers of hard/soft/offensive/defensive counter.  CVs just have to cheese the AA a little and they can do whatever they want.  Apparently that's perfectly OK and working as intended.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,116 posts
15,182 battles
2 minutes ago, CommodoreKang said:

I'm in the "CVa have no hard counter" group.  Everything else in the game has multiple layers of hard/soft/offensive/defensive counter.  CVs just have to cheese the AA a little and they can do whatever they want.  Apparently that's perfectly OK and working as intended.

Seriously start playing them. They have multiple layers of soft counter.  Are you really having issues playing against them?

• Boring 1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
2,419 posts
5,943 battles
Just now, paradat said:

Seriously start playing them. They have multiple layers of soft counter.  Are you really having issues playing against them?

Multiple layers of broken AA?   

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,116 posts
15,182 battles
1 minute ago, CommodoreKang said:

Multiple layers of broken AA?   

OK qualify that for me. For you is AA broken because it is too powerful or too weak?

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,904 posts
8,457 battles
1 minute ago, paradat said:

OK qualify that for me. For you is AA broken because it is too powerful or too weak?

Depends on the ability of the CV player.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
11,116 posts
15,182 battles
1 minute ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Depends on the ability of the CV player.

Yeah maybe but trying to get his point of view. 

Spoiler AA is not broken. In fact it is just about right. 

Spoiler 2 the most powerful thing about CV's is not the damage they do.